• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Autism caused by genetics

wight

2017 article: Most Autism Cases Can Be Explained by Faulty Genes, New Research Confirms
83% of autism cases are inherited. 2% can be attributed to post-zygotic mosaic mutations. Though the article doesn't state this, the other 15% are not attributable to non-genetic causes, they just can't be definitively shown to be inherited. In that regard I refer you to the 2015 paper: http://www.pnas.org/content/pnas/early/2015/09/22/1516376112.full.pdf
Ultra-Rare and De-novo Likely Gene Mutation study identifies gene classes most likely associated with presentation of autism. The goal here was to identify the genes best targeted for further study.

As early as 2007, the scientific/medical community began to recognize that genetics was the driving factor in autism. Now we know with near 100% certainty that autism has genetic cause. I realize we, in this community, probably already know this. I thought I would post the links so they would be handy for everyone to send in case someone they know asks questions.

I hate that. They will blame genes on everything and forget the 10,000 chemicals a year we are exposed to. Oh, blame a gene my grandpa had (who was healthy) but that DDT you were exposed to? That bleach? The gadolinium they shot into you?? All those meds your doctor gave your mom when she was preggo?? NAHHHHHHHHHH

THIS /\ THIS /\ THIS

Though I think the term "faulty" is utterly ridiculous; this is a LOT of genes involved, not a single one in the case of such syndromes as cystic fibrosis and Tay Sachs. They are devastating to the people who get two copies, but life-saving for people who only get one copy, because it protects against tuberculosis. This is a bacterial infection that until the discovery of antibiotics was responsible for the death of 1 in 7 people who ever lived.

And that kind of devastating crisis only selected for ONE gene.

Autism, on the considerable other hand, is a big cluster of genes. Something nature found to be very very valuable indeed, or there wouldn't be so many. Autism wasn't even discovered until mere decades ago, and now we know it has been here all along.

The only thing new about it is recognizing it... and we have barely begun.

I'm not going to post links to all the studies on all the other factors that have been looked at and disproven, they are readily available in the public domain.

New Threads

Top Bottom