• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Autism being the only "awkward" disorder(other than Social Anxiety)

BrokenBoy

戯言使い(Nonsense User)
A rather distressing thing I've noticed is autism's reputation for being the "socially awkward" disorder. What bothers me is some people will assume that you are on the spectrum solely because of social inability. What's worse that some people assume that they are autistic and self diagnose just because they are socially awkward.

The only other disorders I can think of that are seen by the public as "socially awkward" disorders are social anxiety and too a lesser extent, schizophrenia. But I honestly doubt the possibility that someone would more likely to say "He must have social anxiety disorder" instead of "Man that guy is acting autistic." in regards to awkward behavior.

I would know since I've had people say the latter in regards to myself.
I wish people would realize that autism is not the only disorder that involves social awkwardness.

Last edited:
Yeah, lots of neurological conditions can cause social issues.

ADHD is one of the other ones. If you aren't able to pay attention it hampers your noticing and learning of social cues/norms, and if you have the hyperactive and/or impulsive subtypes it can cause a lot of socially awkward moments because you may often fail to think before you act or speak......

It kind of makes sense that autism is seen this way, though, given that its defining symptoms are social interaction/communication problems.

Well, I guess they'd rather deal with a sociopath who is very good in social situations and can make anyone like them. They possess the best social skills and charm you could imagine. And guess what? That's what they use to swindle people. :) I think maybe they are good at it because they don't care and we are bad at it because we do care.

In most cases there just isn't much to motivate the vast majority of those without any particular neurological condition to learn about them. "Out of sight, out of mind". Unless of course they my know someone personally with such conditions.

Perhaps it's best not to dwell on such things you have no real control over. The sort of scenario that frankly can overwhelm some of us on the spectrum. Not to mention an unfortunate aspect of human nature is that in the absence of knowledge and absolute fact, quite often people will grasp for an explanation, even when it is the wrong answer. Compounded when it involves the perception of a huge majority over those who constitute a tiny minority of society.

It's how stereotypes and outright falsehoods prevail even in the face of widely publicized truths.

Last edited:
That certainly is annoying. I'd say it comes from autism being just well-known enough that many people think they understand it but not well-known enough that they actually understand it.

I agree that it's annoying but it's kinda humorous that they're right in this case, I think. :D

I agree that autism isn't just about being socially awkward. It's so much more. Being socially awkward is the result, the manifestation of autism that people will notice, but it isn't autism in itself and shouldn't be defined as such. Other conditions can produce the same result. Autism is a difference in the way we process information - both sensory, factual and social information, which has as a result, among other things, social awkwardness.

Last edited:
Just a little cultural fact here: "Autistic" translates to 自闭的 in Chinese, which could be translated back into English, literally into "self-enclosed". When Chinese people say they are 自闭的, they usually mean that they, get this, "don't want to talk".

I can't make this stuff up.

Don't forget depression, that can make a person withdrawn and socially awkward as well.

I felt a sense of relief when I understood that my social confusion was due to autism. It explained why I hadn't been able to change it much, or even understand what the lacks or difficulties were. I didn't know what I didn't know. But now I know there was stuff I didn't know I didn’t know. :rolleyes: Its some comfort to know there's a reason, that also ties in with other trying issues I have been up against.

I agree that autism isn't just about being socially awkward. It's so much more. Being socially awkward is the result, the manifestation of autism that people will notice, but it isn't autism in itself and shouldn't be defined as such. Other conditions can produce the same result. Autism is a difference in the way we process information - both sensory, factual and social information, which has as a result, among other things, social awkwardness.
Exactly the point I wanted to make.

I once heard about a guy who was really awkward and people thought and assumed he was on the spectrum. This eventually got into deep enough into his head that he self diagnosed himself with Aspergers Syndrome (This was pre DSM-V). But however, when he had an actual psychiatric evaluation it was revealed he had Schizotypal PD instead. He also had depression and antisocial tendencies as well.

Yet people were too dumb to recognize the difference and assumed he was autistic. What a crazy world we live in.

New Threads

Top Bottom