• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Autism and Neurodiversity in the Workplace

Autism and Neurodiversity in the Workplace 2021-04-01

VictorR

Random Member
V.I.P Member
VictorR submitted a new resource:

Autism and Neurodiversity in the Workplace - Free Online Pro-D Program by CIRCA (UBC)

This free program developed by Dr. Karen Bopp at the Centre for Interdisciplinary Research and Collaboration in Autism (CIRCA) at the University of British Columbia (UBC) includes a series of five self-paced, interactive modules filled with useful activities and videos.

The program is designed to assist human resource professionals, employers, supervisors, managers, co-workers, job coaches and counsellors, autistic employees, parents, students, and anyone interested in inclusive employment...

Read more about this resource...

When I was first approached a number of a months ago to ask if I was interested in participating, I have to admit that I was a bit hesitant. What was the narrative going to be? Who was the target audience? How was autism going to be portrayed?

I was much relieved on finding out that Dr. Bopp was genuinely interested in #ownvoices speaking on the topic of autism and how that relates to employment and the workplace, and was glad to have had the opportunity to be one of the individuals speaking in the video clips included in this course / program.

Before, during, and after the taping I found her to be super supportive and open, and in reviewing the final product, I really appreciate how it provides a solid introduction to ASD, but also makes a solid sales pitch to HR professionals and others who are watching it: that diversity enriches us all. I also appreciate that she took the time and efforts to show the diversity within the spectrum itself - for example, it's well known that the majority of autistic individuals prefer identity first language, but as one individual said, it really comes down to the individual and what their preference is.

While the target audience is ultimately HR professionals, it is definitely a great resource for any allies like friends, family, colleagues, managers, etc. to learn more about the topic and how they can be supportive.

I'm glad that this April that besides the usual corporate stuff, that there is also work done by allies like Dr. Bopp being put out that will genuinely be of use to the community.

New Threads

Top Bottom