• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Autism And Long Hair- A Solution I've Found

Yeshuasdaughter

You know, that one lady we met that one time.
V.I.P Member
Grooming- it's a hairy subject if you are sensitive to touch. Just the average brushing in the morning can be torturous for a tender head.

Many people with Autism keep their hair short for this very reason.

I am trying to grow out my hair, but I struggle with hair brushing. I refuse to cut it, because I recently was bald due to illness, and I want my long hair back. My hair is really curly though (type 3c Curls- imagine Merida with shoulder length hair and you get the idea). In the morning, sometimes it's like trying to brush a sponge. And my scalp is extremely sensitive.

I started using a new brand of hairbrush. It's a Wet brush. They're kind of a trend right now. The brush cost like ten dollars, which is ridiculously expensive for a dumb brush, but once you use it, you realize that you got your money's worth.

Most detangling brushes have hard plastic bristles with a squishy base. But my Wet brush is the opposite. It has squishy bristles in a firm base.

The first few strokes through your hair, it feels like nothing is happening, and you almost want to throw out the brush, because you feel nothing. But then you feel your hair and realize that most of the tangles are gone. It's miraculous.

My daughter has thick hair, almost to her waist. She is also an aspie and very tenderheaded. She was wanting to cut her hair for a long time, but now that she uses her own Wet brush, she likes brushing her hair (as it is painless and quick), and she wants to grow it even longer.

Some other long hair tricks for tenderheaded Aspies:

These are really good conditioners. They work to detangle and moisturize wavy waist long hair and shoulder length 3C curly hair:

Loreal ElVive Dream Lengths. It's a conditioner made specifically for long hair that is prone to breakage. It's supposed to moisturize and protect your hair so it'll grow longer. It works pretty good. It's about $7 or so.

Suave Coconut Oil Infusion. This one I love even more than the Loreal. I just recently tried it, because inflation has got me counting pennies. It is extremely moisturizing and detangling. And as my hair dries, it sets naturally into these really pretty Shirley Temple style ringlets. It's about 3 to 4 dollars, depending on the store.

The best one was discontinued, however. It was called Aussie Miracle Smooth. If they ever bring it back, snatch that up! It was incredible for both my daughter and I. The Suave comes close, but I have yet to find a drug store conditioner that works as well as this one did. It was about 6 bucks.

I hardly ever use shampoo, as it dries out the hair, and what I'm trying to do is add moisture. I massage the conditioner into my hair and scalp to cleanse and moisturize.

Do you have any tricks for grooming long hair?

Last edited:
I miss my long hair a little. Now I have a simple slick back, but I used to look like Jesus. :) Seriosuly, people called me Jesus for a while. Long, flowing, beautiful hair that whipped in the wind. I used it to attract the ladies and assert myself. lol My trick for grooming it was just keeping it clean. So I didn't have a trick. But my best hair tip is Morrocanoil shampoo, conditioner and hair oil treatment. It think it's the best and it smells great, a hint of vanilla.

Last edited:
Years ago I used to buy Argan oil and use it in my hair. It is amazing stuff. But.... you don't want to know where it comes from. So, just enjoy that shiny hair and try not to think about it, lol.

Years ago I used to buy Argan oil and use it in my hair. It is amazing stuff. But.... you don't want to know where it comes from. So, just enjoy that shiny hair and try not to think about it, lol.

As far as I know, it's just plant oil produced from the kernels of the argan tree? I hope... please don't say it's something disgusting. :eek: I love the stuff. I have the shampoo and the conditioner and the oil treatment.

I've had long hair most of my life. I recently got it cut as I lost a bit of feeling on the left side of my scalp. Needed my wife to shampoo my hair. loss feeling on my left hand and scalp made it difficult.

I keep mine pixie short. One less thing I have to mess with and it works well with my face shape and size. Wash. Goo. Go!

Another thing I wanted to add about the Wet brush:

It doesn't pull your hair out. You know how when you use most other hairbrushes, after you're done, you have to pull out and throw away this big tangle of broken hair from the bristles?

The Wet brush doesn't do that. You could have really matted hair, and you'll get like three little stray hairs in the bristles. It's amazing.

And what normally would take five to ten minutes of brushing, really only takes 10-40 strokes with the Wet brush. And you don't have to do the ponytail trick to keep it from hurting.

It just feels like it's not even working but then you run your fingers through your hair, and it's smooth and detangled.

Aside

Its amazing what I am learning in here.
type 3c Curly hair - I never had come across hair being categorised like that, but you live and learn. A google search enlightened me

Today's new info - thank you

Aside

Its amazing what I am learning in here.
type 3c Curly hair - I never had come across hair being categorised like that, but you live and learn. A google search enlightened me

Today's new info - thank you

I didn't learn about curl types until I went through cancer treatment. Prior to that I always had wavy hair (type 2b) but never curly.

embed_graph_FINAL.jpg

It's been quite an adventure. When it first started growing back after being bald, I was surprised to find it was very tightly coiled, wouldn't lay flat, and resembled an afro. That would be like 4b-4c hair. It was a struggle to learn to style such textured hair for the first time.

But every month, as it has grown longer and longer, the curls are relaxing. So after I wash my hair, if I let the curls set and don't brush them out, at this point, I think I'm like a 3a-3b.

But the hair that's growing out now is like 3a, and the newest growth is 2c. I wonder if someday I'll have my old wavy hair back, with tight curls just at the ends?

I have wavy hair. I don't know what type. Jim Morrison had curly hair, sadly I don't. And if I knew what maintenance it would take, I woulda maybe thought twice about trying to grow it out like Jim Morrison.

Yes, it comes from argan kernels. The goats just help get them out of the trees, in their own special way.

But never fear, barely any comes from goats anymore. Now most farms use modern machinery to harvest and extract the argan oil.

Another thing I wanted to add about the Wet brush:

It doesn't pull your hair out. You know how when you use most other hairbrushes, after you're done, you have to pull out and throw away this big tangle of broken hair from the bristles?

The Wet brush doesn't do that. You could have really matted hair, and you'll get like three little stray hairs in the bristles. It's amazing.

And what normally would take five to ten minutes of brushing, really only takes 10-40 strokes with the Wet brush. And you don't have to do the ponytail trick to keep it from hurting.

It just feels like it's not even working but then you run your fingers through your hair, and it's smooth and detangled.
I realise this is extremely late for a reply, but I'm not on here very often and I just wanted to thank you for this. I have always really hated brushing my hair, and mostly relied on 'combing' with my fingers (or just giving up and stuffing it into a hat). Based on your post I thought I'd give this Wet Brush a try. I still don't like brushing my hair, but it is now tolerable, and certainly it is vastly better than anything else I've ever tried. I now look a lot less like I've been pulled through a hedge backwards.

I can't have long hair. The feeling of having it on the back of my neck is loathsome. It's the same reason I cut out all tags out of my shirts. I'm a man and similarly, I can't have long whiskers growing on my neck and under my chin because the feeling of them when I look down is extremely bothersome to me.

@Yeshuasdaughter, how's the hair growing? I noticed it's been several months since you started this thread. Are you happy with the results so far?

I love my long hair and I never trim my ends. I do shampoo, although my hair's too oily to not wash & too oily to condition the scalp, but it's a minimal washing. The length & ends I condition and let the conditioner rest a couple of minutes before rinsing--but I don't rinse it fully out, just enough to get rid of the greasy feeling. Once in a while I'll use a mask on the ends. Currently, I'm using Hask products. Most shampoos smell like rug cleaner to me. Hask makes a nice tea tree oil shampoo whose smell I actually like hours after my hair has dried.

I find the temperature of the water has a lot to do with how much body I get, which is kind of important to me as I've got straight-as-a-board hair. The cooler the better. After towel drying, it's a quick spritz with something to detangle & I brush it damp. If the ends feel too dry I might add a touch of oil--but never anything with CBD in it. It grows very slowly so I take vitamin B & sometimes something with biotin in it for strength. Jello is supposed to help, too. I couldn't say--I always forget to buy it.

I am thinking of having it cut for when I start my new job but the idea of removing four years' worth of length is painful. As a former rider, it's kind-of like a status symbol. Horsewomen just don't cut their hair. To do so is kind of taboo.

New Threads

Top Bottom