• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

autism and hyperthyroidism

jane_doe

so i have autisn and hyperthyroidism. but it seem that theres a correlation because lots of the autistic people i know have thyroid issues. seen several scientific papers that disagree on whether there is or is not a link. so have any of you seen a link?

I have hypothyroidism. Which is the opposite. I have a very low functioning thyroid. But it's getting better all the time, naturally. A naturopath can help you heal that and any cholesterol, hormonal, liver, etc stuff that goes along with it. They heal the source of the problem, rather than just drugging it, to put the whole person in a state of optimum wellness.

My thyroid has always worked as it should, although my left node was removed several decades ago. This was because I discovered an egg shaped lump on the left side of my throat one day and it sent me to my doctor. The results of a painful biopsy were indeterminant, so surgery was scheduled that removed the goiter along with the left node of my thyroid. Thankfully the follow up revealed no sign of cancer, and here I am with what is left of my thyroid still seemingly as healthy as one can expect at my age.

Perhaps this has something to do with my Asperger's, perhaps not. I just thought I would add my personal experience with thyroid malfunctions.

Thyroid function can be secondary to hypothalamus and pituitary function. Physiology, Thyroid Hormone - StatPearls - NCBI Bookshelf

Autism is associated with hypothalamus and pituitary function, as well. Although, within the context of autism, most of the study has been focused upon other hormones such as oxytocin and vasopressin. I highly suspect that in a subset of autistics, altered endocrine functioning is part of their condition. I may be one of them. Molecular mechanisms: Autism linked to small hypothalamus.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom