• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Autism and Buddhism

I'm a Buddhist, and I don't see why it shouldn't go along with autism.

If you feel drawn to Buddhism, I'd encourage you to learn more about it. But I wouldn't recommend converting to another religion (or giving up religion altogether) just because some Christians have bad opinions on autism. Religion is not one thing. Since people are different, we will interpret things differently.

Buddhists don't agree on everything, and we are certainly not perfect. Just like Christians, atheists and all other people on this earth.

If you do decide to learn more about Buddhism, and maybe become a Buddhist yourself, I suggest you start by learning what you can about the core beliefs. The Four Nobles Truths and the Noble 8-fold Path are most important. There are many different branches of Buddhism, but this is the basis of them all.

Finally, I'd like to say that you don't have to be a Buddhist in order to incorporate some elements of Buddhist practice into your life. A lot of people use Buddhism to become better at whatever else they are doing. Buddhism was a part of my life for 15 years, before I recently decided to actually convert.

I hope this was helpful to you. And feel free to ask, if you have any questions. Buddhism is a subject that I'm rather passionate about, not just because of my personal beliefs, but also because I have a master degree in History of Religions, and Buddhism was my main reason to study this.

I like that Buddhism doesn't require someone to convert or throw away everything they learned from other religions. I find that to be the type of stuff that i am interested in learning more about.

I just opening a book called: Buddism a complete introduction and right away it states this quote:

"Don't take what I'm saying. Just try to analyse as far as possible and see whether what I'm saying makes sense or not. If it doesn't make sense, discard it. If it does make sense, then pick it up.

which already was how I view learning. I love quotes

I got psychotic over muslims in the past, but now I am over it and accept them as just another religion that I do not follow, but respect their right to worship. Only thing is that they are spreading fast and demand their sharia, this is where I draw the line. we have greece for greeks and italy for italians and north america and europe should be for americans and europeans as well. Some people believe in open borders but I do not.

This is why I want to study Buddhism to look for something different and not get involved with this war that is brewing that can not be stopped until A) muslims rule and or B) until christians rule.

I figure buddhist stay as neutral as possible and I respect that, and hope that radical christians/muslims would adapt and micro evolve.

"He who sees me, sees the teaching the buddha said. And, he who sees the teaching, sees me."

love it. I think in images and can see buddha as I read this quote.

"The mind is as restless as a monkey, who you are, what you think of as yourself, is constantly changing."

I heard that some with aspergers and or psychosis are treated with respect in some countries? I have both!

Last edited:
In the bible they say that one must spread the gospel and in order to do that you have to be around people. at least from what I read. Or, maybe a person can be a christian and live their life without saying a word and have people say they want what that person has?

Last edited:
Christianity is a belief, Buddhism is a philosophy. They can co-exist. I never encountered negativity with AS in my Catholic religion.

I wouldn't abandon being a Christian just because of a few bad apples who were judgemental. I travel to many Baptist and Methodist churches to fill in for pastors and have found most Christians to be very loving and accepting. In one church I go to regularly there is one family with a young aspie son who I've talked to quite a bit about autism. It's been nice discussing our challenges.

Just remember churches are made up of imperfect sinners. If someone isn't accepting of you they need to work on their relationship with God a little more. We are all a work in progress and need to let God's holy spirit mold us into the people he wants us to become.

I am both Christian and Buddhist, I think the exclusivity of religion is limiting. There is so much wisdom in each theology and God is present in all. Each a separate and at the same time unified face of the divine. Even quietly present in atheism. Good luck I hope you find your path

"The mind is like a windy lake, waves make it impossible to see the bottom, but by stilling the waves, the water, the vision becomes clear."

buddhism is so visual in text.

It's a shame you've had such negative reactions from Christians. At least the ones who try to get you healed mean well; as for considering you inferior, that's another matter; we are all equal in the sight of God.

I am aware that there is pressure in some churches to get healed at all costs, as there is pressure elsewhere to "lead people to Christ" because, in their view, if you don't bring at least 6 people into church with you, you're not a Christian!

The Lord may indeed heal you, but He may not; it doesn't make you less of a person, or less of a Christian, if He doesn't. You were created in His image, fearfully and wonderfully made. If people can't accept that, that's their problem, not yours.

Try a different church. I'm not a fan of church-hopping, but you do need to find one where you'll be accepted for who you are, not for who other people think you ought to be. Try a different denomination, so long as it's mainstream and the teaching is wholesome and sound.

...some people in the christian faith think that people with autism are inferior and need to be healed instead of accepted and accommodated.

If they do then they are not Christians as far as I'm concerned. There are many people who like to brag about following the teachings of the Christ, but when they open their mouth on, for example, social issues, it becomes readily apparent that they are either delusional or lying.

I've studied Buddhism off and on before I even thought I was an Aspie. One of the main tenets in Buddhism is the idea of non-attachment, which has helped me in my life. For me letting go has always been difficult. At 45 I am beginning to realize that in order to live, I have to let go of some people, let go of certain thoughts and feelings that I have clung to for so long.

Any faith may be compatible with autism. Having ASD should not exclude you from believing that which gives you hope and comfort.

You see, this is one of the reasons why I have never, in spite of valiant efforts to both understand and empathise with the religiously-minded over the years, been able to reach a stage in life where I could honestly say that I was a 'Christian', or a member of any other religion. I've always believed that a person should believe what they happened to have reasons and/or evidence for, rather than whatever it was that (as you put it here) gave them "hope and comfort". Truth is what it is regardless of how we may happen to feel about it, and often the truth is painful, and that is why I simply cannot go along with the many promises that are made by the various religious organisations when they attempt to attract new recruits. Promises of 'eternal life' don't impress me at all, for I can think of little else that could actually be worse a fate than death than this.

We're born, we live, we die. That's it. Some may find this prospect depressing, but I don't, because it means (among many other things) that I will not be consigned to an eternity of suffering and torture for the apparently unpardonable 'sin' of simply being who I am.

I am thinking of studying buddhism, is buddhism compatible with autism?

Does anyone know about buddhism and whether it's a good idea, I am thinking of switching from Christianity to become a buddhist or atheist because some people in the christian faith think that people with autism are inferior and need to be healed instead of accepted and accommodated.
Sorry, haven't read other posts. .... I've looked at both and find no contradiction. Looking at the heart of Christianity and of Buddhism... (excluding dogma)..neither rejects the other. :).

"He who sees me, sees the teaching the buddha said. And, he who sees the teaching, sees me."

Religion and Aspies is a very tricky subject. As people have already been telling you, everyone reacts differently. Me? I'm currently in the middle of comparing stories from the bible to historical writings on subjects such as gods of the Levant during polytheistic times, or stories of King David and King Solomon in comparison with archaeological findings around the city of Jerusalem saying that the city was a little tribal village during the time of David. My obsession with linear facts compared to Jewish storytelling styles would be enough to shake most people's faith...which is why I don't have those conversations with those people. They would denounce me as nuts since I live in conservative bible-thumper territory. Best thing I can tell you is to do what you feel is best for you. Only you know your ticks at the level needed to make that kind of decision.

I am thinking of studying buddhism, is buddhism compatible with autism?

I take any ideas and texts as an invitation to run them to check through the point of my own life experience.
I think it's perfectly fine to research any idea for as long as you aware of yourself and critically-minded.

Plus scientists are human and can make mistakes.
I agree with you on that: it's totally true - as well as in regards to any human prothet of 'reaching greatness' by any means.
I have several disagreements with certain aspects of buddism philosophy but also I received some support with my ideas from that - so I think it's worth of considering if you're interested...

Thanks, I believe as long as you are not killing anyone over religion, then it should be fine to investigate whether it is your cup of tea

Yes, I think so :)
A human being naturally changes their opinion while looking around at the world - so all ideas pass (in human's mind and attention) with the time but the living people remain real and percieved: being aware and capable of feeling.

New Threads

Top Bottom