• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Attention Seeking, why?

Aspergers_Aspie

I googled 'coughing snooker' and there's different links to people being annoyed saying it's silly and attention seeking, why would people try to distract players, and to disturb other people's enjoyment?

I had to google what that even was. I have never heard of it before!

I think in general anything that involves an expectation of silence and a big crowd of people is a recipe for disaster. Whether people are being disruptive intentionally or not, there will be disruption. (And now that this is "a thing" people will be judged for inadvertent coughing, farting etc. which of course cannot be helped.)

Maybe this is the sort of game that should be observed from an operating theater.

Maybe they should practice in the local pub with a bunch of loud obnoxious people around trying to talk over the jukebox so they learn to not be distracted by it.

I often wondered too why passers by on the street seem to make a forced sniff. I found this while searching online 'When walking past another person, usually another man, most men will sniff, cough, avert their gaze or take some other action that makes them look distracted and as though they’re not paying you any attention. It’s mostly unconscious and we do it without really thinking about what we’re doing.
While it’s an odd behaviour to observe, it’s actually used to non-verbally communicate “I’m not aggressive or a threat”. A man who is acting aggressively or wishing to provoke a confrontation will be overly engaged and alert and would be more likely to exhibit behaviours that make it clear they are paying attention to or focusing on you. Appearing distracted shows that they’re not paying attention to you and therefore aren’t looking to challenge, intimidate or attack you.
It’s likely that men that sniff at you as they walk past are showing you the same behaviour that they often show to other men so as not to appear aggressive.
If you’re walking at night, it’s possible that they are also trying to make it clear that they haven’t turned around to follow you and are continuing to walk in the opposite direction demonstrated by the noise being quieter the further away they are.
Author Danny Wallace discusses the behaviour it in his book Awkward Situations for Men

Sometimes someone will also seem to try and clear their nose next to someone, that in my opinion is disgusting and bad manners.

New Threads

Top Bottom