• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

At what age did you have the self awareness to know you're different?

When I knew I didnt fit in...likely around 5

Realising I'm different in the Autistic sense....still on a journey of learning at the moment.

I'm not sure because I have another disability that got diagnosed age 5, and I've not been aware of possibly being autistic until adulthood... so I guess age 5, but perhaps not because of the reasons you're meaning.

If this is about self awareness, it was when puberty hit so about 12. A lot of things just stopped making sense from that point on, and a few years later after that I got a diagnosis of high-functioning autism.

I've come to grips with it now and am seeing things in a better light due to many reasons, this forum being one of them.

Last edited:
7-10. Everyone viewed me as weird cause I just thought I was an animal from 1st-3rd grade 4th-5th? Maybe I just seemed weird cause I was different. I had moved to another school at the time, and it was ghetto. People questioned me about how I spoke properly instead of "country" cause I am black like them. People picked on me cause I was just this weird, obsessive, properly-speaking teen who wasn't interested in relationships and would rather watch cartoons/play video games. I also play instruments. This was from 4th-9th grade.

10th-12th, I was still seen as different, but I just had boys flirt and other teens ask me about my interests in dating. I had some people like me for helping them with classwork. Others look at me funny and ask me if I was OK due to my reacting to noises (hearing sensitivity). College-now, people just don't care. Everyone's just focused on their work and getting their careers. So I'm indifferent to social stuff. Though with partner/group activities, I end up working alone cause I don't know anybody at this college. My best partner is the professor him/herself. I always make friends with the teacher easier than peers. Teachers didn't really judge me for the most part. Some teachers at certain schools did and disliked me, but most teachers were viewed as friends. My high school friend doesn't go to college. She works. I still talk to her, though. She's like another me but with a view different interests. :)

New Threads

Top Bottom