• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Aspies Positives

peoplesrjames

Does anyone think in social life and work life being an Aspie has been a plus? I know that a lot of the people in my life were drawn and took to me because they could tell I was different. And I think I would have been fired from some of my previous jobs if they didn't think something was different. What do you guys think?

To me there is no plus in social anything that AS gives you.
No one likes my strange ideas, or outlook or what have you, no one is drawn to it, people are repelled by it and expect me to keep some semblance of normality.
I don't feel bad about manipulating people to get what I want, they'd have done the same.
AS has given me a strange and I admit ugly view of people, I see a lot of bad in everyone and very little good.
I can be very good at talking to people, I can pretend very well.
I used to be friendly, but there is no room for great kindness in friendships and I am sick of one sided friendships, people put very little into them so why should I?

Well, my special interests have led me to making my best friends, I wouldn't have met them or bonded with them if I wasn't obsessed with Tolkein. That's a positive I supposed. Also, in school being a bullied social reject led to me making friends with other bullied social rejects who all turned out to lovely people who I still keep in contact with year later... so that's a sort of backhanded benefit maybe?

I certainly don't think people are drawn to me because I'm different... I'm too good at blending in for that!

Work wise my ability to hyper focus is a huge benefit, I get my work done much quicker than my peers.

There are two other threads (about ASD and music) about Maja Toudal and here is a relevant video of hers.

"Aspies brains work differently from neurotypical brains which means we can see solutions to problems which neurotypicals don't think of."

Sometimes, with me, I might think I can see such a solution but when I point it out others either just ingore me or critisise the solution, paricularly on a ralifan forum called railpage. It seems that a special interest doesn't always mean special expertese.

Last edited:
I find that easy things can be incredibly difficult for me but the more difficult things i can often do with incredible ease.
That is how it is for me too. Easy stuff is hard and hard stuff is easy. I think personally, my autism has taught me more good things than anything. It wouldn't trade it for anything.

As a true blue autie not aspie,the autism spectrum provided me many opportunities in my life and the ability to excel at whatever it is I choose to do.
I wasn't disappointed in finding out that I was a spectrumite and only had answers for why my brain worked the way it did.

My bid on the autism spectrum gave me an introverted start that was changed to an extroverted person in order to do business transactions at a very early age. Not everyone has this ability as they do battle with their autism,but being autistic isn't the end of the world for many who don't struggle. I was always able to stand and hold my own ground as an adult.When I was younger, I beat the living crap out of my bullies,so that was never an issue after word got out that I was not going to take it lying down. I do battle with wits now instead to fists.It is kinda cool to be one of the sharpest tools in the shed.
I never sorted my friendships by neurological status. I have posted in the past that most of my friendships revolve around my special interests or the way others have treated me and offer that mantra to others who can't seem to find a friend.
Freaks and geeks all speak the same language kids ;)

I climbed the corporate ladders with ease and was hired for my abilities which were also special interests. Employers put up with my quirks as they knew they found someone special when they stole me away from other companies. I quit more jobs than I care to admit,but it was because I was offered better positions and moved along.Another part I need to mention was my ability to always run what I call my scams AKA self-employment alongside what some consider gainful employment. I also quit some pretty good jobs when my own work made life to crazy to handle the pressure of several jobs at the same time.

I no longer work on the corporate front,but still run a lot of scams :D

Do I consider being on the spectrum a positive? You betcha ;)

There are certainly good things and bad things about being a Aspie. For me the good outweighs the bad by a long ways. I like being a Aspie and being different. I would not want to be like everyone else. I do not want to be just another brick in the wall.

ATTENTION TO DETAIL. I'm in school and working part time as a cashier. Several times while about to take over for another cashier, while waiting behind the register watching a coworker (or supervisor, if we're short handed) work, i've caught errors they miss. Like they typed in a number wrong for a price match and made it 39.00 instead of 3.90 or they double scanned an item on accident. They usually pause and have a 'wait what?' reaction and i have to insist that they push 'slip' so the printer will spit out a list of everything they scanned for the transaction and 100% of the time i'm right.

Also, i'm thorough and long-winded with papers and enjoy researching things. I've developed somewhat of a knack for starting and finishing papers on the day they're due and still getting A's on them. I'm sure there's plenty of career paths were such talents are a good thing.

ATTENTION TO DETAIL. I'm in school and working part time as a cashier. Several times while about to take over for another cashier, while waiting behind the register watching a coworker (or supervisor, if we're short handed) work, i've caught errors they miss. Like they typed in a number wrong for a price match and made it 39.00 instead of 3.90 or they double scanned an item on accident. They usually pause and have a 'wait what?' reaction and i have to insist that they push 'slip' so the printer will spit out a list of everything they scanned for the transaction and 100% of the time i'm right.

Also, i'm thorough and long-winded with papers and enjoy researching things. I've developed somewhat of a knack for starting and finishing papers on the day they're due and still getting A's on them. I'm sure there's plenty of career paths were such talents are a good thing.

That attention to detail helps when your on the other side of the cash register too. I always watch for double scans and other mistakes. When I use cash and have change coming, I always know how much that I am supposed get back. If a cashier makes a mistake, I will always point it out to them, even if they are inadvertently cheating themselves. If a mistake is made, I am always nice about it. After all, to error is human.

That attention to detail helps when your on the other side of the cash register too. I always watch for double scans and other mistakes. When I use cash and have change coming, I always know how much that I am supposed get back. If a cashier makes a mistake, I will always point it out to them, even if they are inadvertently cheating themselves. If a mistake is made, I am always nice about it. After all, to error is human.

That's really great that you're nice about it. So many people, in my experience, are so rude about it like they think i'm deliberately trying to cheat them out of their money or like i'm just not paying enough attention when in reality, if a price on shelf was changed it wont be changed in the computer and no one is about to tell cashiers of every little price change. I remember the nice people better than i do the mean people, they make such a difference especially with an aspie cashier like me.

I would say that in general, communications skills get you a long way in this world, and this is something that aspies are not known for and therefore we are at a disadvantage!

I've come to like struggling socially. I avoided it at all costs during teenage years but now just saying hi and waving awkwardly at a passing acquaintance feels like an accomplishment and makes me feel good!

I like being ok with being alone. I feel like a lot of people don't want to be alone but I am all good with it and it even makes me feel much less stressed.

I notice small things that many people don't notice, it's made many funny situations as well. "why is that wonkey?" "why is that there?". I think the funny thing is that often it's a genuine question! haha

Below is a list I complied from some article I read. Don't remember exactly where but I am not the author of any of them. Even though the negative aspects seem so often to dominate my thinking, I can't deny that most, if not all, of them are true. Also makes me kind of proud and almost "lucky" to be an Aspie. :)

Top Terrific Traits of Autistic People

1. Autistic People Rarely Lie
We all claim to value the truth, but almost all of us tell little white lies. All, that is, except people on the autism spectrum. To them, truth is truth -- and a good word from a person on the spectrum is the real deal.

2. People on the Autism Spectrum Live in the Moment
How often do typical people fail to notice what's in front of their eyes because they're distracted by social cues or random chitchat? People on the autism spectrum truely attend to the sensory input that surrounds them. Many have achieved the ideal of mindfulness.

3. People with Autism Rarely Judge Others
Who's fatter? Richer? Smarter? For people on the autism spectrum, these distinctions hold much less importance than for typical folks. In fact, people on the spectrum often see through such surface appearances to discover the real person.

4. Autistic People are Passionate
Of course, not all autistic people are alike. But many are truly passionate about the things, ideas and people in their lives. How many "typical" people can say the same?

5. People with Autism Are Not Tied to Social Expectations
If you've ever bought a car, played a game or joined a club to fit in, you know how hard it is to be true to yourself. But for people with autism, social expectations can be honestly irrelevant. What matters is true liking, interest and passion -- not keeping up with the Joneses.

6. People with Autism Have Terrific Memories
How often do typical people forget directions, or fail to take note of colors, names, and other details? People on the autism spectrum are often much more tuned in to details. They may have a much better memory than their typical peers for all kind of critical details.

7. Autistic People Are Less Materialistic
Of course, this is not universally true -- but in general, people with autism are far less concerned with outward appearance than their typical peers. As a result, they worry less about brand names, hairstyles and other expensive but unimportant externals than most people do.

8. Autistic People Play Fewer Head Games
Who was that woman, and why were you looking at her? I know I TOLD you I didn't mind if you went out, but why did you believe me? Most autistic people don't play games like these -- and they assume that you won't either. It's a refreshing and wonderful change from the Peyton Place emotional roller coaster that mars too many typical relationships!

9. Autistic People Have Fewer Hidden Agendas
Most of the time, if a person on the autism spectrum tells you what he wants -- he is telling you what he wants. No need to beat around the bush, second guess, and hope you're reading between the lines!

10. People with Autism Open New Doors for Neurotypicals
For some of us neurotypicals, having an autistic person in our lives has had a profound positive impact on our perceptions, beliefs and expectations. For me, at least, being the mom of a son on the autism spectrum has released me from a lifetime of "should" -- and offered me a new world of "is."

To me I can think of bad ways and good ways having Aspergers Syndrome has changed my life. I went to a Special Needs School and learnt for myself people with disabilities like Motor Neurone Disease, you cant catch like a Common Cold when some people believe this is true.

To me, memory is a good thing and that I have but I guess all Aspies have a great memory and that makes me smile. Yes, we all may be different in our very own way. Sometimes, put in a situation where most people jokes, we learn quickly to understand what are jokes and what are not jokes. But to me, I dont care about the negatives or the positives about Aspergers Syndrome for as I think, Id never be myself without it and that is a good thing indeed.

I'm currently in university and also work part-time behind a bar. Although I do sometimes wish I wasn't so socially awkward and knew what to say in a given situation, I do feel that some of my Asperger's traits have brought me positive attention. I have a good memory, whereas my manager has a memory like a goldfish, and if other colleagues take holidays or whatever, he often doesn't remember who worked what shift, so he tends to ask me. Also, because I don't really have much of a social life and don't go out much, etc., most of the time I'm available if anybody needs a shift covered, which means extra pay for me!:D

I've never explicitly told anyone about my AS, but I think a few people on my course can see there's something "different" about me. A few of them have even told me things along the lines of, "I like you, CJ. You're not like other people, but in a good way". I actually went to one woman's house a while back, and her dog fell asleep on me within half an hour of meeting me, and she said he doesn't normally do that with people he doesn't know. So, although I don't necessarily dislike people (only certain people ;)), maybe he could sense that I preferred animals?

id say there are advantages and disadvantages.
im very logical and fairly good at academics, and im very focused and hardworking which i attribute at least partly to my Asperger's. it is also true that some people are drawn to me because i come of as different or odd in a good way, it also makes it easier to be friends with interesting, odd and alternative people who are generally the only people who interest me anyway.
obsessed with Tolkein.
so am i, I've read all of the lord of the rings books multiple times the same with the hobbit and the silmarillion. i have also read the tales from a perilous realm (which includes the adventures of tom bombadil) and the unfinished tales. my faviroute board game is a long lotr game http://www.aresgames.eu/games/war-of-the-ring-line/war-of-the-ring-second-edition
if you ever want to chat about it just message me as i always enjoy talking to other Tolkien fans about our shared interest.

A weird kind of positive. Think of the average kind of young NT girl. Of course this is no blanket statement, would not apply to everyone, when you've met one NT you've met one NT. They tend to have a lot to worry about. So first they tend to have a large circle of friends, so have to worry about what to say to them and what not to say, and if the friends get upset they have to be there for them and make them happier. Takes a lot. But at the same time they have to worry about how they're seen. So what they wear, how their makeup is, also what they say and don't say. But at the same time they are emotional and have strong feelings and stuff. And also they like talking to people and enjoy company, and without it get lonely and sad. A lot to balance there, no wonder they cry so much, must be very exhausting to be an NT that wants to be socially accepted.

And then you have me. I don't have to worry about huge circles of friends, I don't have to worry about how I look because no matter what people think I'm either shy or retarded, both being about 12, so whatever. I don't feel the need to talk to people, so apart from on here and to my parents and occasionally other family members when I see them I don't talk to anyone, I don't feel lonely, I just lack the need to which saves me a lot of trouble (not only would I have to worry about the things NTs do I'd also have my communication problems), and lastly I don't feel strongly about very much so I am very passive and fine with most things.

Being withdrawn does have its positives. I'm very glad I am. I imagine it is horrible needing to bond with people but lacking the communication skills to achieve it. Being an extroverted autistic must be hell. I feel trapped when I want to say something but can't, and I imagine it must be like that 24/7 for those with my communication impairments along with a social drive. I do feel I have really lucked out having no social drive. Having none is a positive to me in a weird sort of way.

New Threads

Top Bottom