• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Aspies Positives

A weird kind of positive. Think of the average kind of young NT girl. Of course this is no blanket statement, would not apply to everyone, when you've met one NT you've met one NT. They tend to have a lot to worry about. So first they tend to have a large circle of friends, so have to worry about what to say to them and what not to say, and if the friends get upset they have to be there for them and make them happier. Takes a lot. But at the same time they have to worry about how they're seen. So what they wear, how their makeup is, also what they say and don't say. But at the same time they are emotional and have strong feelings and stuff. And also they like talking to people and enjoy company, and without it get lonely and sad. A lot to balance there, no wonder they cry so much, must be very exhausting to be an NT that wants to be socially accepted.

And then you have me. I don't have to worry about huge circles of friends, I don't have to worry about how I look because no matter what people think I'm either shy or retarded, both being about 12, so whatever. I don't feel the need to talk to people, so apart from on here and to my parents and occasionally other family members when I see them I don't talk to anyone, I don't feel lonely, I just lack the need to which saves me a lot of trouble (not only would I have to worry about the things NTs do I'd also have my communication problems), and lastly I don't feel strongly about very much so I am very passive and fine with most things.

Being withdrawn does have its positives. I'm very glad I am. I imagine it is horrible needing to bond with people but lacking the communication skills to achieve it. Being an extroverted autistic must be hell. I feel trapped when I want to say something but can't, and I imagine it must be like that 24/7 for those with my communication impairments along with a social drive. I do feel I have really lucked out having no social drive. Having none is a positive to me in a weird sort of way.

not all of us aspies are as comfortable being withdrawn as you are, i am still fairly introverted and withdrawn but i definitely have some social needs that i have to meet even if it is stressful and painful to meet them, i wish i was more comfortable being 100% cut of from people but i think its very rare people are like that even aspies are rarely so withdrawn, if i cut myself of from people almost completely i get depressed and lonely (maybe not to the same degree as a NT but its still there). good for you that you are comfortable how you are and im a little bit jealous, how easy would it be if i could ignore being social almost entirely rather than just a little bit.

I do feel I have really lucked out having no social drive. Having none is a positive to me in a weird sort of way.
also while i can definitely see how it could be a positive have little social drive, are you sure you have absolutely no social drive, i mean even posting on forums is being slightly social, i don't doubt you having very little social drive, i just doubt you having absolutely none, i think everyone has at least a little.

also while i can definitely see how it could be a positive have little social drive, are you sure you have absolutely no social drive, i mean even posting on forums is being slightly social, i don't doubt you having very little social drive, i just doubt you having absolutely none, i think everyone has at least a little.
Here is some kind of learning experience. It may be full of people but I can log out any time I want and never come back. No commitment, no worries. I'm seeing if I can find others like me and how they cope in this world. Although I don't feel lonely, I do need to talk to others as part of life. I haven't got any attachments to anyone here, what I see this site as being is acquaintances with experience I can learn from. To help me understand what I am better, and to see the way forward. Not sure if this makes me an insensitive asshole. I find this to be a good learning experience and posting messages is giving back by responding to questions others have so I don't feel like I'm stealing, but also causes me to think. A thread will ask something and I will have a think about it. Not sure if I have absolutely 0 social drive, but if I do have any it's close to 0. I have absolutely no idea why though. What causes either trace or no social drive?

Here is some kind of learning experience. It may be full of people but I can log out any time I want and never come back. No commitment, no worries. I'm seeing if I can find others like me and how they cope in this world. Although I don't feel lonely, I do need to talk to others as part of life. I haven't got any attachments to anyone here, what I see this site as being is acquaintances with experience I can learn from. To help me understand what I am better, and to see the way forward. Not sure if this makes me an insensitive asshole. I find this to be a good learning experience and posting messages is giving back by responding to questions others have so I don't feel like I'm stealing, but also causes me to think. A thread will ask something and I will have a think about it. Not sure if I have absolutely 0 social drive, but if I do have any it's close to 0. I have absolutely no idea why though. What causes either trace or no social drive?
that makes sense, i wasn't judging and i do understand, this site is very useful for finding other peoples experiences and it has certainly helped me recently and is a good way to direct thought on aspie issues, i was just interested in exactly what you meant as i often wish i was the same and had no social drive, unfortunately i do have social drive even if small.

I'll go back to hyperfocus. For someone with multiple disabilities, that is important. My obsession is golf, & for me to play well, I have to be obsessed and focused.

New Threads

Top Bottom