• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Aspies and Internet Banking

I agree, but when you apply for a job they can easily say that you were rejected for another reason other than Asperger Syndrome even if that is the true reason and unfortunately it's virtually impossible to prove. Being denied a service because you have Asperger Syndrome when the condition doesn't make you incapable of using the service as safely as anyone else is a lot more clear cut, they can't easily say they're denying you for any other reason than you have Asperger Syndrome when it's a service that customers normally always get.

That's precisely my point, there's too many loopholes in the so called "Equality" laws which employers who aren't daft can use to get round the issue of not employing me directly because I'm disabled.

Is there something that legally gives your parents power of attorney or something comparable over your finances in whole or in part? You talk about your parents and your carer. Do they have some kind of binding legal control over your life?

If not, there's no reason why you shouldn't pursue handling your own finances if you feel up to it. Whether you accept or reject services like online banking and such. It should be your decision alone.

Your instincts are right at this point in time to want to take control of your own life. Your parents won't be around forever to fret about such things and keep you out of trouble, whether they approve or not.

Is there something that legally gives your parents power of attorney or something comparable over your finances in whole or in part? You talk about your parents and your carer. Do they have some kind of binding legal control over your life?

If not, there's no reason why you shouldn't pursue handling your own finances if you feel up to it. Whether you accept or reject services like online banking and such. It should be your decision alone.

Your instincts are right at this point in time to want to take control of your own life. Your parents won't be around forever to fret about such things and keep you out of trouble, whether they approve or not.

I would accept a compromise if Dad was up for it.

I'd set up the online Banking myself, but I'd give Dad the username and password for it so he can keep an eye on what's happening with it.

They've said we need a meeting about it with the Bank or someone in authority anyway so I might suggest the above.

I would accept a compromise if Dad was up for it.

I'd set up the online Banking myself, but I'd give Dad the username and password for it so he can keep an eye on what's happening with it.

They've said we need a meeting about it with the Bank or someone in authority anyway so I might suggest the above.

Is this presently a joint account with both his name and your name ? What legally gives him any say over your money in the first place ?

Or is this just an "understood and agreed" arrangement between you and your parents?

Last edited:
Is this presently a joint account with both his name and your name ? What legally gives him any say over your money in the first place ?

Both my Parents have "Power of Attorney" at my local Bank, mainly because I tend to get a bit agitated when trying to discuss stuff over the counter with staff who want to wheel customers in and out as fast as possible, and it takes me time to explain my problems.

Like that time a few years back that I went in CEX ti buy a £3 DVD, and my main card was refused because it was in the "Red", ie there was nothing in the Pot, hence I now have a "Ready Cash" account as well as the main account, the "Ready Cash" account is for weekly spends such as Internet purchases and food shopping from Tesco, more often than not the money that goes into it lasts me the full 2 weeks till I get "paid" again but like this week it hasn't.

Nothing is totally safe on line. It's like trying to design a tamper-proof medicine bottle. It is impossible although tamper-resistant bottles are now the norm.

Criminals have been skimming card numbers from gas pumps where I live. The police caught a gang of them by setting up surveillance cameras and a stake-out at a gas station where the cops had spotted the device hidden inside the pump. When the thugs returned to retrieve their skimming device so they could download the data, the cops arrested them and seized the laptop in their car.

I personally do not bank online, never have and never will. I also don't have an ATM card or a debit card by choice. I do have a credit card that I use for most purchases and which I pay off in full every month to avoid interest charges and to earn those "cash back" dollar rewards which do add up. I still pay most bills by writing and mailing a check to the creditor so as long as the US postal service remains in existence, that is how I will do it.

Many places do not take checks anymore. I write one check a month out of habit and it’s totallt weird. I have switched all utilities to auto pay. I should do it with my rent too, so I never forget and incur late fees. That used to be a real problem a few decades back.

Or is this just an "understood and agreed" arrangement between you and your parents?

A lot of disabled adults have what is known as a representative payee. It can be a family member, a friend, or whomever. It’s really common, and some just cannot handle their own money.

Both my Parents have "Power of Attorney" at my local Bank, mainly because I tend to get a bit agitated when trying to discuss stuff over the counter with staff who want to wheel customers in and out as fast as possible, and it takes me time to explain my problems.

Like that time a few years back that I went in CEX ti buy a £3 DVD, and my main card was refused because it was in the "Red", ie there was nothing in the Pot, hence I now have a "Ready Cash" account as well as the main account, the "Ready Cash" account is for weekly spends such as Internet purchases and food shopping from Tesco, more often than not the money that goes into it lasts me the full 2 weeks till I get "paid" again but like this week it hasn't.

Thanks for your candor, Rich. Yeah, I'm afraid if your parents have "Lasting Power of Attorney" it looks like it is strictly up to them and perhaps also on the part of the Court of Protection as to whether or not they would be willing to relinquish control of your finances for you to handle on your own.

But you certainly have a point in your concern for becoming accustomed to handling them in the future. Sounds like this would involve a real "heart-to-heart" discussion with your parents. I can see now why you seem to approach such things "delicately". Stands to reason under the circumstances.

Here's a formal explanation of what it involves to remove a Lasting Power of Attorney in the UK:

Make, register or end a lasting power of attorney: End your lasting power of attorney

This is for the UK, Rich:
What are Lasting Powers of Attorney?
A Lasting Power of Attorney (LPA) is a document which gives authority to a named individual or individuals to make decisions on another person's behalf. The person who is given the authority is known as an attorney. The person an attorney makes decisions for is known as the donor. These terms will be used in this information sheet.

There are two types of LPAs:

1.A Property and Affairs LPA. This gives attorneys power to make decisions about a donor's financial matters, for example operating a bank account, making investment decisions, signing tax returns and buying a house for the donor to live in.

2.A Personal Welfare LPA. This gives attorneys power to make decisions about a donor's health and social care, for example to decide where the donor lives, and the provision of care and medical treatment.
The donor can create one or both types of LPA and if both, can do it at the same time or at different times.

The powers given in either form of LPA cannot be exercised until it has been registered (unlike the former enduring power of attorney). It is, though, possible to grant powers relating to property and affairs (but not personal welfare) that are effective while the donor still has capacity.

A Property and Affairs LPA cannot be used to make decisions on matters of personal welfare. A Personal Welfare LPA cannot be used to make decisions on financial matters.
If a donor wants someone to make decisions about both personal affairs and financial a
ffairs they should create both types of LPA. The donor can appoint the same person as an attorney on the two LPAs, or can choose a different one for each.

http://www.autismparentssupport.org/Parents of adults with autism & Power of Attorney.pdf

Many places do not take checks anymore. I write one check a month out of habit and it’s totallt weird. I have switched all utilities to auto pay. I should do it with my rent too, so I never forget and incur late fees. That used to be a real problem a few decades back.

Really? I haven't encountered any utilities provider, medical care provider, insurance company, credit card company, government entity, or any other entity that refuses to take checks in payment of existing bills which, by the way, they mail to me in paper form in envelopes. I have seen a few brick and mortar stores (usually little cheap stores) that refuse to accept checks in direct transactions one on one with the customer. Some refuse credit cards, too, forcing the customer to pay with cash.

If a potential creditor told me that I must pay its bills online to do business with them, I'd decline their products or services. We are under siege by potential creditors to pay everything online because it reduces their operating costs. I will always resist it. If they don't want my business on my payment terms, then I vote with my feet - out the door.

I've been using online banking since 2008 and haven't had many issues with it. I also got a credit card in 2011 and haven't had any issues with that either (Credit card is prepaid).

I've had full control over my finances since I was 14, and have been using online banking without any problems since 2008, when I turned 18. Banking online is so so much easier than having to do it all in person, over the phone and on paper. If anything it has made me far better at carefully managing my money.

Online banking is always somewhat risky, no system is completely secure, but nor are debit cards. So long as you are sensible with your safety measures and keep a close eye on all transactions then it is fine.

As for whether it is safe for aspies... well, it's certainly fine for me, I'm actually far better at managing my money the my NT sister. I am very careful with my money and know a lot about computer and online security. Other aspies, no clue, depends on the person.

Get new glasses.

New Threads

Top Bottom