• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Aspie vs. Regular Nerd?

Ender

Unemployed Philosopher
I was discussing the concept of ASDs with a family member, and the question came up of "What makes someone with Aspergers different from what people generally consider a nerd/geek?"

How would you answer this question?

"Nerds and Geeks"....they're more or less pop culture terms with familiar meaning to most of us. They're a social term without any real medical meaning, and not on a particularly broad scale, IMO.

On the other hand, those on the spectrum of autism involve complex neurological considerations that cover a very broad scope of traits, behaviors and measures of intelligence, let alone passionate interests and obsessions. All which don't necessarily overlap with the social description of a "nerd" or a "geek".

If one spends enough time in this community, they are bound to get an idea of just how diverse we can be and on so many levels. Both socially and neurologically. Where some of us are most definitely neither nerds or geeks.

Last edited:
I would say that if someone who is on the spectrum identifies as a geek or a nerd, then there is a likelihood that whatever they're interested in (fandom, computers, comic, whatever it is) they're likely to be more intensely interested in it than an NT with the same interest. The same could be said of anyone with ASD who also didn't identify as geek or nerd. I don't think I did a great job of explaining and I overused the word interest :rolleyes:

I would say that if someone who is on the spectrum identifies as a geek or a nerd, then there is a likelihood that whatever they're interested in (fandom, computers, comic, whatever it is) they're likely to be more intensely interested in it than an NT with the same interest. The same could be said of anyone with ASD who also didn't identify as geek or nerd. I don't think I did a great job of explaining and I overused the word interest :rolleyes:

You're doing fine...and being specific. Good examples of interests that may or may not overlap between NTs and Aspies.

I am one of the co-founders of a maker space here in my town. As as a result of this. I am now amongst some of the greatest herd/geeks in my town. How do I stand amongst them? Let's just say that they all have jobs/ girl friends /married and have a social life that I don't have. on the other side. I do have some rather creative problem-solving skill that makes most of the guys their envious. Not saying that I'm smarter than them, they've taught me a few things here and there. It's just that they notice that I have talent for creating algorithmic solutions to problems that they wish that they could so easily and quickly like I can. Conclusion, Even though I am still a member of the nerd/geek group. I still stand out from the rest in both a good and bad way. BTW: they know that I am an aspie.

Good points.

The way I'd see it is like this. Consider the following statements (generalizations which are assumed true for this exercise):

All dogs have 4 legs
Terrence is a dog
Therefore Terrence must have 4 legs
GOOD LOGIC

OR

All dogs have 4 legs
Terrence has 4 legs
Therefore Terrence must be a dog
BAD LOGIC

The first example follows sound reason and the second does not, because the second example forgets that other types of animals may also have 4 legs. Just because Terrence has 4 legs does not necessarily mean that Terrence is a dog. He could be a cat or a lizard for all we know.

How this relates to Aspergers and nerds/geeks could be shown in the following manner. Again I'm using generalizations which aren't necessarily true but are treated as fact for this exercise.

All Aspies are nerds
Dan is an Aspie
Therefore Dan must be a nerd
GOOD LOGIC

All Aspies are nerds
Dan is a nerd
Therefore Dan must be an Aspie
BAD LOGIC

In this way, just because someone is a nerd doesn't make them an Aspie. Though many Aspies are nerds. Aside from this chain of reasoning there are more compelling clinical aspects which differentiate one with an ASD from a regular computer geek. Aspects which include but are not restricted to:
-impaired social and emotional reciprocity
-intense special interests
-obsession with the preservation of sameness
-over or under stimulation of certain senses (e.g. visual or tactile being common)​

That is the way I look at it, at least.

Terrible sensory issues. Unable to navigate communication. Trouble with digestion and eating which seems common in Auties. Lots of other issues beside being smart!

I was discussing the concept of ASDs with a family member, and the question came up of "What makes someone with Aspergers different from what people generally consider a nerd/geek?"

How would you answer this question?
Im a Cool Dude and i never was nerdy or geeky and never will be.

impaired social and emotional reciprocity
-obsession with the preservation of sameness
-over or under stimulation of certain senses (e.g. visual or tactile being common)​

Terrible sensory issues. Unable to navigate communication. Trouble with digestion and eating which seems common in Auties. Lots of other issues beside being smart!

I think you two are on the right track here. Geeks and nerds abound; happily for them, this is their Golden Age. It seems that what sets those of us on the spectrum apart are the persistent, intractable difficulties we face with the issues mentioned in the quotations. Some (many? most?) of us can find a way to work around them, but they never go away.

New Threads

Top Bottom