• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Aspie toddler - need help!

Sixstringkate

Hi everyone! My son just got his official diagnosis yesterday. Well, it's sort of a diagnosis, I guess. The neuropsychologist said the closest he could determine was "several defining characteristics of Aspergers with a few that fit PDD-NOS better." But for short, we're saying aspergers.

He's 2 1/2. I'm guessing that's a little earlier than most, because all the parenting books I've found on aspergers are for older kids. Am I missing something? He's already in Early Intervention with our school district, because he was born with a cleft lip & palate. So I guess that's why they caught it so early. I'm still trying to adjust to the news and figure out what it means for his future. But mostly, I'm trying to figure out how to make our days a little less tantrum-y ;) He's also got a twin sister who's NT (actually, we had her tested first because she was self stimming. Turns out she was just bored, her cognitive score was way high.) But it's been really good and he seems more "socialized" than typical, because of always having her around. Being a stay at home mom of one gifted twin in constant need of stimulation and verbal interaction, and one twin who needs low stimulation and would prefer very little interaction is... interesting. :)

Anyway, he's dealing with noise & tactile sensory issues (hates getting his hands wet/dirty/etc,) an articulation delay because of the cleft, wordless vocalizing when tired/frustrated/excited, eye contact & spacing out problems, random bouts of violence (kicking cat/sister/mom while laughing manically OR hitting & headbutting - HARD - while screaming when suddenly disappointed or upset.) and throwdown tantrums. On the plus side the tantrums don't last very long. He's a pretty easy-going kid, all things considered. Oh, and when he wakes up 2+ times at night, the next day he is asymptomatic. Figure that one out. No one else has been able to so far! :D

Anyone have any tips & tricks for toddlers? Any heads-ups for what we're in for? Hints about upcoming school decisions? Anything is appreciated! Thanks!

wow, that sounds very difficult.

one of the best tips i've run across for reducing tantrums and general child-rage would be sign language. they enjoy learning it thanks to the motion, as well as going with the music. they can use it to get results instead of having to rage over something. with this knowledge i began teaching my little one early in as they recommended, and she has become adept at using the signs to maximum advantage. i'm not sure how well it could work for you in this scenario but i wanted to take the moment to provide this tip anyway because that sounds extremely difficult.

mine is almost 20 months and still has some hefty anger bursts every now and then wherein she becomes uncontrollable, tries to drop out of arms if being held/carried, crumples up and bangs her head on the floor or wall if not. sometimes a vigorous attempt to bite, as well.

Hi everyone! My son just got his official diagnosis yesterday. Well, it's sort of a diagnosis, I guess. The neuropsychologist said the closest he could determine was "several defining characteristics of Aspergers with a few that fit PDD-NOS better." But for short, we're saying aspergers.

He's 2 1/2. I'm guessing that's a little earlier than most, because all the parenting books I've found on aspergers are for older kids. Am I missing something? He's already in Early Intervention with our school district, because he was born with a cleft lip & palate. So I guess that's why they caught it so early. I'm still trying to adjust to the news and figure out what it means for his future. But mostly, I'm trying to figure out how to make our days a little less tantrum-y ;) He's also got a twin sister who's NT (actually, we had her tested first because she was self stimming. Turns out she was just bored, her cognitive score was way high.) But it's been really good and he seems more "socialized" than typical, because of always having her around. Being a stay at home mom of one gifted twin in constant need of stimulation and verbal interaction, and one twin who needs low stimulation and would prefer very little interaction is... interesting. :)

Anyway, he's dealing with noise & tactile sensory issues (hates getting his hands wet/dirty/etc,) an articulation delay because of the cleft, wordless vocalizing when tired/frustrated/excited, eye contact & spacing out problems, random bouts of violence (kicking cat/sister/mom while laughing manically OR hitting & headbutting - HARD - while screaming when suddenly disappointed or upset.) and throwdown tantrums. On the plus side the tantrums don't last very long. He's a pretty easy-going kid, all things considered. Oh, and when he wakes up 2+ times at night, the next day he is asymptomatic. Figure that one out. No one else has been able to so far! :D

Anyone have any tips & tricks for toddlers? Any heads-ups for what we're in for? Hints about upcoming school decisions? Anything is appreciated! Thanks!

I suppose the "If you've met one kid with aspergers you've met one kid with aspergers." applies here. But adjusting to the diagnosis I can contribute to. My mum who is a prolific " if you read this it will be fixed" kind of gal gave me a book about kids with differing needs that explained the dealing with it beautifully. It's like being promised a honeymoon in Paris and then winding up in Amsterdam. Now both are wonderful places to be but you were expecting Paris. You just have to find the joys in Amsterdam.

Hi Sixstringkate,

You really do have your hands full! I'm an Aspie myself & a married mom of 2 adult children. I also have a degree in Early Childhood & Elementary Education. 2 1/2 is extremely young for an Asperger's diagnosis. According to the DSM, it cannot be reliably diagnosed in a children under the age of 11. There is no standardized screening for Asperger's & in children under 4 it is never diagnosed. A toddler's behaviours are often involve stimming-type actions, rigidity, tantrums: NOT the same as melt-downs seen in Aspies although to they may look alike to the untrained eye. The cleft lip & palate have nothing whatsoever to do with 'catching an Asperger's diagnosis early'. Children who have clefts often have challenges & delays with speech development as you mentioned. Time, practice, sometimes speech therapy tend to take care of this.

From what you've described, your toddler seems to be doing many of the things a normally developing toddler does at that age. I was owner & co-director of a licensed daycare centre, assistant director at a Montessori & have a good 20yrs of overall experience working with young children. I've never heard of a child that young being diagnosed with Asperger's. As a toddler, it is developmentally impossible for him to be labeled 'high functioning'!

Although head-banging, biting & everything else you describe can be exhausting to deal with, they are not abnormal in a 2 1/2 yr old. At that age, my behaviour fell smack in between that of your 2 children: I spoke my 1st sentence at age 9 months. Could draw like a 6 yr old by age 2 1/2. Was reading by 3. BUT I preferred to be left alone, didn't (& still don't!) like getting any gunk on my hands, categorically refused mud, dirt or finger-painting play at school, didn't & still don't like physical contact or being eye-balled.

The neuropsychologist said the closest he could determine was "several defining characteristics of Aspergers with a few that fit Pervasive Developmental Disorder Not Otherwise Specified better." But for short, we're saying aspergers. <---- THIS is by no means a diagnosis & I'd even go as far as stating that it is an irresponsible thing doctors & psychologists often do with Asperger's & ADD/ ADHD. They will often send an anxious parent of a too young to really assess child home with a half-@$$ed very vague statement that the well-meaning parent begins acting on. The DMS warns specifically against giving such a diagnosis without extensive testing & your son is too young to even comprehend never mind participate in the testing process.

As for predicting what it means for his future, of course, that is impossible. so many parents of children on the spectrum get told that their child will never do this or that. I know a man who is an awarded school principal. He has a B.Ed, a M.A & a PhD. He also speaks 5 languages: a big advantage with today's diverse schools. When he was in elementary school, doctors & teachers told his parents to withdraw him from school, give up because he'll never amount to anything & will need care all his life & to place him in a institution (this was in Stockholm!). Well, he's a married man (wife is a principal too) has 3 grown successful children, he's a grandfather as well.

Steven Spielberg, Bill Gates, Albert Einstein & Temple Grandin are all Aspies too.Many of the greatest thinkers & discoverers in history would today be assessed as Aspoes. Many of us are intellectually gifted in some cognitive area. Your son, if indeed one day he is properly diagnosed by someone more responsible & competent, can still achieve virtually anything: NOT 'despite' Asperger's either: most of us here wouldn't go near a so-called 'cure'. My husband is an Aspie too & he's a successful, affluent, professional with an A-list clientele. Many of us are doing better than most NTs. It's just that you really only hear about extreme cases in the media. Some are depicted as savants, people who are frightening 'mad genii' who plot the destruction of others, or as perpetually ranting & raving fit-throwers.

Please please do NOT become an anxious hand-wringing overly hovering parent: this can handicap a child faster than any diagnosis. I KNOW. Even today, my mother tries to take over everything in my household for me because. apparently, I NEED help. She'll even talk about me in the 3rd person to others with me right there: I'v had people surprised to discover that I wasn't 'retarded' because of the impression she gives.

Hi Sixstringkate,

You really do have your hands full! I'm an Aspie myself & a married mom of 2 adult children. I also have a degree in Early Childhood & Elementary Education. 2 1/2 is extremely young for an Asperger's diagnosis. According to the DSM, it cannot be reliably diagnosed in a children under the age of 11. .

I respectfully disagree here. Having experienced eight children over 22 years and 4 of them on the spectrum, I can assure you I could tell something was amiss quite early in these children. I may not have gotten an official diagnosis but the processing in them is very different.

Let me say here as well...that if your child is experiencing Aspergers traits at this early of an age I would seriously consider abstaining from any further vaccines. You CAN help recover these children greatly through diet and supplementation. I have done it and am currently doing it. I also have an Aspie husband of nearly 26 years. Our children are age 2 to 22; 3 boys and 5 girls. The Aspies are all three boys and one of the girls. Aspie males are very likely to have Aspie sons.

Our first was incredibly bright much as this poster has stated she and her husband were as toddlers. But he also showed OCD behaviors that I didn't understand at the time. Looking back you could see clearly his processing of daily stimulae as abnormal. Behaviors that I have seen in my four Aspies as toddlers, who are now 22, 10, 5 and 2, were numerous. Sensory issues such as clothing tags, grass and sand on bare feet, the water in the bathtub at ANY temp and the texture of various types of foods were present in all of them. The non-Aspie kids had no such issues. They are now 19, 15, 11 and 7 and all girls.

Our understanding from many of the docs well versed in the spectrum, girls have a much higher percentage of body fat which helps them store the toxins from vaccines better than our sons, thereby protecting the very sensitive brain from the whole onslaught of the mercury, aluminum and various other toxins contained therein. This would explain the disproportionate number of males on the spectrum versus females.

Other behaviors that are now red-flags that I share with young parents (I counsel parents on diet and nutrition for these children) is preoccupation with one toy, book, show or household object. One mother had a little 18 month old that would sit and look at the tires on the car and spin the bike tires on the bikes of his older siblings. His preoccupation was with tires and round things that spun. He sat for VERY long periods of time and looked at them. This is NOT normal behavior in a toddler. Today he is 10 and classified as on the spectrum.

My one AS daughter showed abnormalities by 4 months of age. She is the 5th child. She had a shrill, high-pitched cry and started running fevers over 105. Not even the other three boys had done this. At 10 months she was exposed to red dye and could not stop crying for hours. She has the same reaction every time. Her stimming behavior was incessantly playing with or rubbing her navel. She did this so often the skin surrounding it was darkly colored and sometimes raw. By eighteen months she was covered in sores from skin picking. To this day she is covered in scars from this OCD behavior, though she has ceased. She is emotionless and her personality is very flat. She does not reach out for affection nor attention either. At 9 she is now coming to understand more things about herself and can actually verbalize them. Every child in our home is affirmed for the unique and special gifts and talents that the Creator has given them. And we have never had a problem with jealousy or comparison. Each child gets "alone time" where they are heard and affirmed. I have expressed to her that her wants and needs are important. I make her verbalize them daily. She is now able to come up and ask for hugs and affection and to say what she wants, though still timidly. She has made fantastic progress through diet and supplementation. She no longer exhibits stimming behaviors and is having a much more positive outlook on daily life. She used to be very subdued and negative much like Eyore from Winnie The Pooh. She still has no friends but plays much better with her siblings. Emotional outbursts are few and far between and only come when she has had an offending food. Her social skills are improving as well, now being able to greet adults looking at their faces without covering her mouth with her hands. Her obsessive worrying has also ceased. She is very literal in anything she hears and needs help understanding idioms and sarcasm. There is also no non-verbal reading either. She cannot distinguish when other children are put off by her. Her siblings will usually comment to her quietly when she is in a social situation and being "random". She very readily picks up on other Aspies and hits it off with them immediately. Their "frequencies match" and she can recognize it.

Many of these children also have a certain "look" in their eyes that is a dead giveaway that they are on the spectrum. I can pick them out everywhere. I see them at church and as time goes on and they grow it becomes obvious to everyone else that they are AS. The children 12 and under who have had 36 vaccines now by age 4 are the most damaged that I have seen to date. It is these parents that need the most hope, as well. The dark circles around their eyes are from gut dysbiosis and are very often the most reliable clues something is wrong. There will also be a red ring around their anus.

This young mother has not mentioned once that she expects her child not to succeed. And I would also submit that my 22 year old son has done well. I homeschooled him through highschool and he completed that by 14. He went on to our local university for a semester and found it a joke. He scored in the top 3% in the nation on standardized test and could have written his ticket to any college in the country. He knows five languages and entered military service at 17 with the goal of becoming an Army ranger. His ASVAB was nearly perfect and he was given a straight shot in if he passed jump school. By 18 he had accomplished his goal. While in, he has been all over the world to more than 50 countries all on his own time. He has now finished his commitment just this week and is headed to South America for an employment opportunity. He speaks Spanish fluently. He assures me he will earn a degree in the near future. I'm not worried. He can do anything he sets his mind to. Yes, these children are quite capable given affirmation and loving, accepting parents. He knows he is loved and his family is everything to him.

Let me also say that I think these children thrive best in a home setting where they can learn at their own pace and follow their interests with loving affirmation and guidance. Very often they become bored in the schools and problem behavior ensues. Without positive guidance and exposure to worthwhile interests they can become derailed onto tracks that are not beneficial. Their narrowed interest behavior can fixate on things such as violence and gore that would be very counterproductive for them. I'm witnessing this daily with the teens in the families I am helping. And once the appetite is developed it is very difficult to pull them from it.

I hope this has helped someone out there and am open to correction if any feel otherwise. I am not an expert and I don't believe any exist because this is all so new in the span of time. All I can give is my experiences over the last 26 years. I won't even get into the marriage issues at this time. It would take all night. I'll just say, I'm hanging in there and it's probably because of a tremendous sense of purpose in seeing the success of these very precious children.

" I can assure you I could tell something was amiss quite early in these children. I may not have gotten an official diagnosis but the processing in them is very different." - Momma28

This is true: something definitely was different about me too BUT many kids had symptoms that could be indicative of Asperger's traits BUT assuming it is Asperger's & beginning to treat it as such is problematic on many levels.

" I would seriously consider abstaining from any further vaccines. " - Momma28.

This advice is just plain dangerous & irresponsible. The vaccine theory has been debunked & the physician who promoted it based upon slip-shod & non-existent research disgraced & stripped of his medical credentials! Many parents followed this quackery & now there's an epidemic of mumps & measles amongst young children in the west. These diseases had been eradicated in the west until the asinine vaccine scare. Please do not perpetuate it here. We have already come to a consensus that nobody is to post any misinformation about the screw-ball vaccine theory.

"Our understanding from many of the docs well versed in the spectrum, girls have a much higher percentage of body fat which helps them store the toxins from vaccines better than our sons, thereby protecting the very sensitive brain from the whole onslaught of the mercury, aluminum and various other toxins contained therein. This would explain the disproportionate number of males on the spectrum versus females. " - momma28

Who is 'we'? Who are these 'docs' & where is the research (peer reviewed & published in a legitimate medical journal) supporting this 'toxins stored in the body fat' theory? I am an Aspie myself & was literally rail thin until my late 20s with almost no body fat. I'm still very slight but not scrawny. My Aspie son has significantly more body fat than I ever did. Many of the Aspie males here are quite heavy & are struggling with weight issues. Why isn't their fat magically filtering out the toxins (that you provide no evidence of them being found in vaccines) & saving them from Asperger's? That makes no sense whatsoever. To be certain, I attempted to find supporting research in a legitimate medical journal by checking Google Scholar. There is no empirical evidence supporting your contentions.

I am glad, however, that your young adult son is thriving. Mine is also multilingual, educated & doing well & I share your belief that Asperger's doesn't have to be an impediment to setting challenging goals & accomplishing them.

http://junksciencearchive.com/oct07/Vaccines_and_Autism-WSJ.com.pdf

http://immunizenow.org/shared/content/takeyourbestshot/Adolescent%20Immunization%20Toolkits/Influenza%20Resources/Flu%20Info%20for%20providers/Vaccines%20and%20autism.pdf

Medical fraud revealed in discredited vaccine-autism study - The Globe and Mail

Autism-vaccine study retracted - Health - CBC News

Last edited:
I am not a mom so any advice I give is based on things I have read and thinking about in context of the way my siblings and I were raised. Some of the advice for parents of asperger children seems to me it would be good for any child but I suppose even more important for aspie children.

One thing is make sure the rules are clear and logical, make sure that there is a reason behind it. When we questioned a rule my mom would often say things like "I'm the mom that's why" or "To make little boys ask questions" This was confusing, and makes it more difficult for us to follow them.

Let them be who they are. The stimming, unless it is unhealthy or dangerous, may not be that big of a deal, but you can help channel it into something constructive. You child may be too young for lessons right now but say if they hum as a stim, singing may be a way to channel it. Tapping may lead to drums. There are musical toys for children that might be a way to start. Bouncing, I have heard could be helped with a trampoline even if it is one of those small ones, and its good exercise. Stims are important because it helps us to release that comes with anxiety. Also I have read that if our stims get shut down sometimes we end up finding others that may be dangerous or unhealthy.

Sign language, as was mentioned earlier, and is a skill that could be used later even if your child turns out not to have asperger's also could be something that your daughter could enjoy as well.

Be sure to tell your children you love them, but if they don't say it back, don't be hurt by it. Just because they don't express it the way you expect, it doesn't mean they don't feel it. My parents were not affectionate, and both my sister and I wonder if our parents really loved us. Even as aspies we still wanted to know that we were loved. If you think your child may have asperger's there probably is stuff in those books that you can use even for young children. And if not, you child may grow into it, and you would be prepared, many of us wish we had been diagnosed earlier in life, because there are skills and coping techniques that could have been applied and we could have learned.

Don't force your child to be social, in some ways it can be rather traumatizing, but if there are things that the child seems to passionate about, that can be a good opportunity for them to socialize. Many of us wouldn't want to go to a party, but if we are into a certain subject a class or club for that subject could be fun, even if that means socializing. We can become very intense and in turn knowledgable about it. This makes it easier for us to socialize, if we are interested the topic, it may be more about the knowledge than the people we are sharing it with it, but when I was talking about movies and stuff, people would always be like wow you know alot about movies, they would ask me for reccomendations, or ask me because they couldn't remember the name of some movie. This made me feel good and worthwhile.

New Threads

Top Bottom