• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

aspie children with vocal tics

greeneyedgirl

are there any parents that have aspie kids with vocal tics.. my son just started his vocal tics about 8 months ago.. is there anything that can be done for this?? its starting to drive me crazy!

I'm not really sure what to suggest there other than to look into some speech therapy for your son. I went through a lot of that growing up (I didn't get my AS diagnosis until I was nearly 31 though). One vocal tic that I had when I was younger that really bugged my mom was saying "well-um-uh" a lot when I stumbled over my words or I was trying to think of what to say next. To some extent, those may be things that aspie children grow out of eventually.

I had vocal tics as a child. They just passed like all the others pass eventually.

im so glad to hear that roxy how old are you and for how long did you have your vocal tics for?? .. how do you get over it????
. i try to ignore it but sometimes i cant and i point it out to him and ask him to stop and it only makes him do it more... im assuming its his nerves because he only started doing it recently... i talked to the doctor and im bringing him in this week and we are gonna try clonidine.. which is an anti depressent but it may make him sleepy but its worth a try :)

Last edited:
its kinda like a grunting noise
For the most part of my life I often had a vocal tic that really annoyed my mom, but I had no control over it. And it only got worse when she pointed out at my 'clearing throat sound' as 'inappropriate' or 'disgusting'.
The tic is still with me when I'm stressed, it feels to me like my throat's spasm.
I like singing karaoke (but only since when I became a teen and got older - I was too shy before that) - it relaxes my throat and lessens my stress levels in general.

I feel for you, My son has something similar, its difficult to describe but's its basically a hum...It doesnt really bother me and I think it soothes him to do it, when hes older I'll help him control it but hes a little too young to understand now.
Perhaps you could bring it up with the speech thearpist?
You mat also find he does it at certain times, stress, eating, bored, might be useful to pay close attention to that.

From my experience, I believe it helps to mention it once so the child is aware of it. Over time it generally passes, but may reoccur at times of stress.
However, if it is stress related, repeatedly mentioning it, getting annoyed by it or even disciplining it is likely to make it much worse.
As an aside, unless things are set up differently there, this is not something for a speech therapist as it has nothing to do with enunciation. Its a neurological/psychological issue.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom