• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Aspergers think logically?

Sipe

Hello folks.

I have a question for you. I have a theory that most of the aspergers think "logically". What I mean is that aspergers trust in science, facts and logic. I myself believe in those. And on last Saturday (2.27th) I was in a asperger/autism children`s parents meeting to tell about myself and my live as an asperger and how I was at school and how are things going today in high school and I gave them some advice about how to help their asperger/autism kids in schools and in life in general. A couple of the mothers told how logical their kids were; They did`t believe in God and anything superstition. They believed in science and such.

And just in case you did`t know, many great thinkers and scientists had aspergers, For example Isaac Newton, Ludwig Wittgenstein and Albert Einstein.

So my question is this: As an asperger, do you think logically most of the time and believe in science, facts and everything what makes logically sense?

PS: Sorry if my English is bad.

I think some people with AS be logical when they feel like it and then become very emotional and illogical too. And then I'm apparently cold for pointing it out.
Since when is insisting to have you food on a specific part of a plate, for no real reason logical? Esp. when this wastes time which could be spent doing more productive tasks.
We're not as logical as we like to let on imo.
The emotions isn't just a sensory thing too. I've been in relationships with 2-4 guys on the spectrum(it really depends how you define a relationship tbh) and the majority of them got irrational at some point when love came up and started talking about being together forever, despite that not making any real sense. I don't mean to be bitchy or w.e. But it's like, we broke up several times so obv. not, even if we didn't break up(which we did) we'd still die eventually, and I find the idea of someone sharing my coffin kind of gross- under the assumption we both died at the same time.
IDK. Maybe it's just attempting to emulate normal relationships for my perceived benefit.
But yeah. I think there's very few truly logical aspies, even when you don't count the illogical and irrational fashion of sensory issues.
I know I can be extremely irrational and emotional at times. Not as bad as most females my age(IMO), but still pretty bad.
EMZ=]

"Logical" is one of the many words already linked with apsergers and HFA, so apparently there are lots of people who agree with you. (myself included!)

I am very logical, but that doesn't mean I don't believe in things like God. I'm open to all suggestions, and accept nothing as fact. Everything might be true.

I don't get very emotional... rather, I don't get angry or sad - what's the point? I always maintain a high degree of rationality.

Definitely think logical thinking is a trait of AS; it would explain why aspies often take things too literally.

I am very logical, but that doesn't mean I don't believe in things like God. I'm open to all suggestions, and accept nothing as fact. Everything might be true.
How can you not believe in God and be logical? There's as little empirical evidence suggesting his existence as there is suggesting his lack of an existence.
I'm not trying to be controversial but I just find it irritating when people associate these positive traits with AS which frankly don't really follow up.
EMZ=|

Coincidentally, I've just left a rant on it here:

http://www.aspergic.com/index.php?/topic/259-do-you-believe-in-god/page__pid__7011__st__20&#entry7011

An Aspie can contain the whole metaphysics of logic at ease, but the element of eccentricity can simply cause him/her to sway with highly sentimented moods alone. Manifest unpredictability (and contrast) carried out by this kind of individuation is so dear to me.

My take on it:

I think that my thought processes are logical, although (of course) some may disagree. If I find myself in an argument I try to put my case forward logically rather than emotionally, as I feel that whoever presents their case in the most logical manner should be declared the winner.

I totally understand where Emz is coming from. Just because my thought processes are logical does not mean that I always behave logically - far from it. I probably behave less logically than most NTs. Example: if my boss is acting like an asshole, I will generally tell him/her. This is illogical because it achieves nothing, the boss will still be an asshole and it always comes back to bite you. Also there are things that I know I should do, but at times a paralysing fear holds me back. I don't mind walking alone through a cemetery at night time, logic tells me that the dead are far less of a threat to me than the living, but at the same time.... there is always that anticipation of a bony hand on your shoulder at any moment.

As for God, I do not believe in Him. That is not to say that I believe in the non-existence of God. Simply that I have seen nothing to logically suggest that He is anything more than a superstition. Stating categorically that there is no God and no possibility that God exists is tantamount to a religion in itself. Not believing in God, on the other hand, is no more a religion than "not collecting stamps" is a hobby (I'm not sure where I stole the "not collecting stamps" reference from - Hitchens I think).

Interesting answers and opinions. Seems that I was mainly right though. Yay me i guess!

I don't think anybody can be 100% logical all the time because as hard as we try we are still

just sophisticated animals and those animal instincts will always be a part of us.

Heck,even Mr Spock got a little teary eyed every once in a while!

It depends. I tend to be very scientific and logical in that sense, but sometimes I can make something very illogical seem logical.

My mom and my husband say I am logical. Sometimes he tells me I am being too logical and lets stop and be emotional, have empathy. Even one of my aspie friends says I am logical. I also prefer facts and things have to make sense for me to get it. If it doesn't make any sense, then I won't get it.

It's not all black and white Emor. No one is 100% logical or else we would never ever act irrational or act on our feelings. We would never have meltdowns or never be inflexible to change and change wouldn't be an issue for us. What's funny is we tend to get upset over little things but not get upset over things people would normally get upset about.

My mom and my husband say I am logical. Sometime she tells me I am being too logical and lets stop and be emotional, have empathy. Even one of my aspie friends says I am logical. I also prefer facts and things have to make sense for me to get it. If it doesn't make any sense, then I won't get it.

It's not all black and white Emor. No one is 100% logical or else we would never ever act irrational or act on our feelings. We would never have meltdowns or never be inflexible to change and change wouldn't be an issue for us. What's funny is we tend to get upset over little things but not get upset over things people would normally get upset about.
I agree with you(or my interpretation of what you said anyway) in that our logic is disproportional as such and the situations we're logical and illogical in are different to those than NTs.
Which for some reason deludes people into thinking we're more logical and emotionally cold/distant.
IMO.
EMZ=]

I'm actually pretty logical apparently according to my mates... I don't know if I actually see that in myself. :unsure:

I believed in santa until I was half way through year 7 so I can't be that logical :lol: (but strangely enough stopped believing in god over a year before that, it's all topsy turvy).

But I do analyse things to death so that could be seen as logical I guess? But I am more driven by emotions than anything else.

I remember when I was young and my school had Santa coming in, the funny thing was that I knew who the person was and who was santa while every else was still believing in him. :lol:

I knew that the school santas were fake but I was convinced there was the real one out there. My mum told me otherwise when I was 10 but I didn't listen to her and wouldn't except it so I carried on believing for ages afterwards. In year 7 I didn't see what so wrong with believing in a santa and at that christmas I told people and the other kids thought I was mad, but I stuck to my guns. A lot of the embarrassing things in my life happened in year 7

New Threads

Top Bottom