• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Asperger's Syndrome and PTSD -

It never ceases to amaze me that sociopaths are actually quite prevalent and successful in the business world

I think it's because sociopaths know how to play the game VERY well. They don't lack the cognitive empathy we lack (maybe they lack emotional empathy which we have in abundance). They know exactly what people are feeling and know how to use that to their advantage and they thrive on it. They enjoy doing it and they make lots of money doing it.

How to Win Friends and Influence People is a really popular book in corporate America. The fact that such a book actually exists in the first place, let alone is so highly regarded and recommended, disturbs me. I don't set out to influence people - that's not my aim at all. I'm just not wired that way.

I was wondering if anyone else struggles with any form of severe depression/anxiety while also coping with Asperger's? I'm sure if I read through some of the previous threads I'd find more of you like me.

I ask because I need help.
I need help because relationships are hard, romantic and not, and waking up everyday is one of my most difficult struggles.

I feel like damaged goods; like a burden--I get upset when I feel like I'm not being paid attention to and melt down (even though in reality I spend basically every second with my boyfriend [I even work with him]), it's impossible for me to maintain friendships because there's always that voice in the back of my head saying: "they don't actually want to be your friend". No matter how much sleep I get I'm always tired.

Little things can set me off on meltdowns.

Is there anyone here who can relate? How do you cope? Do you have any relaxation methods? How can I communicate without melting down first?

Finding myself feeling triggered today/yesterday. By events on this site. Explains why I'm wide awake at 4am. Trying various audiobooks and my weighted blanket to try and convince myself to wind down, and maybe sleep. Might have more luck reading a paperback. Hoping tomorrow isn't another lost day on terms of being able to get out and walk! (Was tired today. Need to build my stamina back up after almost 2 weeks of deep freeze temps.).

I was wondering if anyone else struggles with any form of severe depression/anxiety while also coping with Asperger's? I'm sure if I read through some of the previous threads I'd find more of you like me.

I ask because I need help.
I need help because relationships are hard, romantic and not, and waking up everyday is one of my most difficult struggles.

I feel like damaged goods; like a burden--I get upset when I feel like I'm not being paid attention to and melt down (even though in reality I spend basically every second with my boyfriend [I even work with him]), it's impossible for me to maintain friendships because there's always that voice in the back of my head saying: "they don't actually want to be your friend". No matter how much sleep I get I'm always tired.

Little things can set me off on meltdowns.

Is there anyone here who can relate? How do you cope? Do you have any relaxation methods? How can I communicate without melting down first?

This site has some pretty good stuff on Complex PTSD if anyone needs it.
https://www.synergiacounselling.com/an-overview-of-complex-post-traumatic-stress-disorder-cptsd/

It's a hot minute since I've looked this thread. To be honest, I think that that's both. personally at least my parents had their own demons and it didn't help that I was only ND in a family of NT's. On top of that I was only son so my had an expectation of me that they didn't nessarily have with my sisters.

Me to mate. Me to. Is it us? Or is it them? I have no family to speak off. Feel abandoned. Like i was to much of a burden.

This site has some pretty good stuff on Complex PTSD if anyone needs it.
https://www.synergiacounselling.com/an-overview-of-complex-post-traumatic-stress-disorder-cptsd/

Thank you for the link.
I have a member of the family where the suspected diagnosis is cPTSD.
Looking at a video on the net

I found that these points fitted with my experience of my family member.

- high sensitive person
- trauma related higher sensitivity - which contributed to cPTSD
- mental health issues

Shared for info

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom