• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Asperger's Mind blindness, theory of mind video

DesertRose

I'm not sure where to put this, or if it's been posted before.
I hope it helps someone who is researching Asperger's.

Last edited:
Have you ever been in a situation that no one seems to be letting you in on it? IE: I'm in a group setting and fairly new to the group. Everyone seems to be focusing attention on one person who obviously is having some kind of problem and no one is letting me know why or what's going on with that person. I'm present, there is nothing going on outside this one thing at the time and I'm an outsider. I feel like I am obviously not part of that group.

Yes Pats! I always feel like I’m the one person left out of the inside joke (or common knowledge, or group thing).
I feel like I’ve just walked into the middle of a complicated psychological thriller movie.

Is anyone else bothered by the melodrama created by the music? It's like those commercials for adopting pitiful, dying dogs or something.

I had difficulty containing anger, watching that video.
While I consistently score well into
definitive AS territory on tests, and am
believed to be on the spectrum by my PCP and my "~therapist~"o_O, I recognized some of those thinking patterns as problematic
as a child, and largely corrected(masked?) them.
First:B+W thinking---
an answer, or solution to a posit or question can possibly be definitive, or, B+W,
but the perception of the query can never be. As a young child, I easily recognized that
NOTHING is B+W, All is shades of grey.
Rule-bound thinking---
It is various degrees of R-B T that allow us to progress.
without adhering theory to the laws of physics, what could we observe or extrapolate accurately?
If someone suggested that, in a certain instance, that something could be true because gravitational laws did not apply there, what wild flights of fancy could skew our perceptions? It is only by comparison to known constants that we progress.
Truth-Bound Thinking---
It always behooves one to speak truth...
or not at all. In rare few occasions, it may be necessary to deceive, temporarily, to prevent
destructive thought, action, or both, but it then also behooves us to correct such, at our earliest safe ability to do so.
Truth IS important.
Would you wish to believe something untrue, because of it's comfort, or fit, or your desire(s)?
Nothing says that truth must be told in a cold, tactless way. Except shock-jocks.
If it is true but possibly difficult for someone to accept, go gently forward, but forward nonetheless.
I am ever aware of the likely, or even unknown thoughts of others---
sometimes too eerily prescient for their comfort.
Perseverant Thinking---
Anyone who has difficulty staying on topic because of "too many questions" on or related to one subject is the deficient party.
ADD and ADHD leap to mind.
(Absolutely no offense intended here,
for sufferers of these maladies.)
If you raise a subject, be prepared to
explain, qualify, quantify, and defend
your assertions.
Concentration is an ability, a talent or skill.
Because you do not have it does not make
me defective.
If your son, daughter, or some other immediate family member had a peculiar disease, would rudimentary knowledge satisfy you, or would you wish to know everything possible so as to avoid dangers and promote best case scenarios?
Because the fickle "flow" of emotives' conversation may have "moved on", does not mean that my curiosity has been sated.
This particular trick has been used by tricksters and hucksters throughout all of recorded history--- the presumed establishment of falsehood as fact, then move along quickly to avoid detection and set the hook. No. No, no, no.
Not this cat. I'm not the one.
Either you know, and can prove, or you do not, and cannot. I will judge.
Avoiding exploring/explaining a topic you started leads me to predisposition about your professed sincerity or knowledge.
Sorry. Prove it. Or, at least, make a case for the inability to disprove it.
Rigid-Thinking---
An example of this is the american custom of washing eggs.
In europe, eggs are not washed upon collection and so, do not have to be refrigerated. They sit on dry shelves beside bread.
Are you telling me that the predominantly NT society that we americans inhabit are not using rigid thinking("omg they have to be clean!")?
How many billions of dollars have been wasted(at great cost to the earth, I might add) on egg refrigeration since inception of the practice?
I have been able to greatly temper this tendency, as outcome, collateral effect, cost, efficiency, time, and a myriad of other collective factors may determine success, failure, or feasibility.
As an aspie, do I have to be dense, rigid, and simple?
Perfectionist-Thinking---
This also can be tempered, with practice,
and it is the drive to perfect that, again, drives progress.
For me, it was the (almost instant) realization that "perfection" can be attained by degrees.
Every time you wash that burnt pan, scrub a little better, or shine another black spot.
After several, or many washes, it will not look the same.
Accept progress, if perfection is not possible. Simple.
Catastrophic-Thinking---
This is similar to perfectionist thinking---
with very similar mediation measures.
*side note---
Are emotives able to empathize?

I will apologize here, and now.
Without exploring more fully, I
cannot describe more fully why this particular video pi... ...eeved me so.
I suppose that it seems to belittle the
counterintuitive and monumental difficulties I have struggled with, with varying degrees of success.
I also realize that an individual created this video--- I absolutely do not wish to disparage, discourage, or detract from the individual's journey, or perception thereof.

All right.
There it is.
Do with me as you will.

Last edited:
While I recognise in myself a lot of the issues described in the video, it tends to assume that all Aspies are at the most severe end of the spectrum possible for every trait listed.

For example, the video tends to say that Aspies believe that all rules should be followed by everyone, 100% of the time. While I really do like rules, tend to spend a lot more time finding out about them, and perhaps do care more about than that an NT, I do also understand that not every rule has to be followed by everyone 100% of the time.

How many Aspies on this forum jay walk? It's technically against the rules, but I'm going to bet that most of us do it when it's not a busy road and there are no cars coming.

That's a problem, not just in this video, but in lots of other material I see that's intended to help NTs understand ASD. Most resources of this type tend to present the experiences of being an Aspie only in its most severe circumstances.

I've seen other resources that would make NTs think that all Aspies will melt down the instant they're placed in a large, noisy crowd, and I think for most of us, it would take more than that to trigger a meltdown.

i could not watch it. i don't watch videos about us if they have music layered underneath. if this was made for Spectrum people by Spectrum people, they would know that most of us (i think) do not like inane music droning on and on.

I don’t think it was made by spectrum people because it wasn’t accurate.
We are not all the same. Duh

It's possible to Mute the music on the video.
That's what I did.
=====
The person who made the video (Gloria Jean)
says this in remarks about herself:

"I recently learned I have Asperger's Syndrome - I am on the autistic spectrum. Learning this fact about myself, suddenly so many things became clearer.."

Also:
the following are a few great links that helped me on my journey:
http://spdlife.org/
http://www.wrongplanet.net/
http://www.aspieaudrey.com/
http://parentingwithaspergers.blogspo...
UNQUOTE

I thought maybe she supposed every Aspie is like her,
because she can't imagine anyone not being like her.

Sort of the way people talk about ASD individuals not
realizing that other people may have other points of view.

My hfa bf is absolutely driven out of his mind by my questions. Its hard for him to explain things and if i ask 2 questions in one message he cant handle them. I have tons of questions pop up in my mind it seems the more we talk. It doesn't help he does small talk answers and short unexplanatory ones by default, even though he cant handle small talk, it annoys him easily.

Apparently theory of mind is automatically runned like a program by most NTs and while aspies can solve the Theory of Mind problem once given, their brains don't necessarily automatically run it given a situation.

A similar thing happens in psychopathy, but while they largely don't automatically run it and they can answer the problem once asked, they can't often do it correctly. It depends on whether it benefits them or it is solved math-like, such as thinking of people in numbers and sparing more objects vs less. They also don't feel remorse or worry about the choice itself and the way it affects others, but more so about the way it affects themselves.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom