• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Asperger’s Introduction

SliverOfSand

Hello!

I’m SliverOfSand, and about four months ago, I discovered that I have Asperger’s. I have done research on it before, since I’m really interested in psychology. I just never applied that information to myself. Ever since I was little, people have always told me that I’m either ‘too quiet’ or that I ‘talk too much’. I never had many friends and I found it hard to interact with others on a day to day basis. I was always more comfortable being by myself. So I started doing research and began with looking into Asperger’s. Once I took a good look at myself and my past experiences, something just clicked. It helped me to see that years of trying to fit in and be “normal”, and not meeting people’s standards, was because of AS. I read The Complete Guide to Asperger’s Syndrome by Tony Attwood, and most of what I read applied to what I’ve experienced. It gave me a new sense of hopefulness that I now know where I stand with my situation, and I can work through it. I hope that through these forums I can gain a little bit more experience with how to deal with it, and to interact with others who are in the same situation! :)

Some of my special interests include the study of psychology, which is ironic, since this is what lead me to self-diagnosis. I’m also fascinated with typewriters, and I have to restrain myself from buying all that I find! I also love to draw, I have since I was little.

I’m really excited to to learn more about Asperger’s and Autism through other’s experiences, and being able to talk about it openly!

upload_2020-4-12_17-59-4.png

Hi and welcome. I hope you enjoy it here. Do you type on your typewriters? I remember it as being quite tricky, no auto correct back then, just white out the mistyped bit... They are nice to look at though, as on your avatar. It's great that you've found us, yes I read Tony Attwood first, and like you, recognised myself. Good to know.

:trolleybus::taxi::airplane::car::helicopter::rocket::tractor::truck:

Hi and welcome. I hope you enjoy it here. Do you type on your typewriters? I remember it as being quite tricky, no auto correct back then, just white out the mistyped bit... They are nice to look at though, as on your avatar. It's great that you've found us, yes I read Tony Attwood first, and like you, recognised myself. Good to know.

:trolleybus::taxi::airplane::car::helicopter::rocket::tractor::truck:

Thanks for the warm welcome! :) I do use my typewriters, I usually find cheap dirty ones at secondhand stores, and I fix them up to working condition. Certain typewriters are pretty difficult to work with, but I guess it’s a getting used to. I found that Tony Attwood’s book helped me to get a really good understanding of what Asperger’s is, instead of trying to understand the mixed descriptions from the internet.

New Threads

Top Bottom