• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Asperger's Comorbid Conditions

Pedro

Asperger's Comorbid Conditions
SPD, ADHD, Anxiety, Depression, Dyspraxia, and Tourette's Syndrome
Jan 8, 2008

Several conditions are more common among individuals with Asperger's Syndrome. These conditions are called comorbidities.
Asperger?s Syndrome (AS), one of the five conditions found on the autism spectrum, is a developmental disorder that mainly affects a person?s social communication. There are certain comorbid conditions that are found quite frequently among individuals with Asperger?s Syndrome. These conditions do not need to be present in order to receive a diagnosis of Asperger?s Syndrome, but one or more is usually found alongside the AS diagnosis.

Sensory Processing Disorder (SPD)
Although not officially a diagnostic category in the Diagnostic and Statistics Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM), sensory processing disorder is widespread among all individuals on the autism spectrum, including those with Asperger?s Syndrome. Individuals with AS are usually over-responsive to sensory stimuli; loud noises, scratchy clothing, and unusual textures all serve as sources of irritation among those with AS.

Attention-Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)
According to an article published on Medscape, one study of children with Asperger?s Syndrome showed that 62.5% of the participants also showed clinical symptoms indicating attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD).

Anxiety
Anxiety is extremely common among individuals with Asperger?s Syndrome. According to Tony Attwood, ?We know that more people with autism spectrum disorder (ASD, e.g. Asperger?s syndrome, autism) experience anxiety and depression than people who do not have ASD.? Anxiety can take the form of obsessive-compulsive disorder, specific fears and phobias, and generalized anxieties.

Depression
According to an SMHAI study, approximately 1 in 15 individuals with Asperger?s Syndrome also meet the diagnostic criteria for depression. It is unknown exactly what causes the depression but it is likely that it is a combination between the individual?s realization of their difference from their peers and the ostracizing that occurs from these peers. Bullying is an extremely common problem among individuals with AS; this bullying could very likely lead to an increased rate of depression among the AS population.

Dyspraxia
Sometimes called motor-planning disorder, dyspraxia is seen in a large majority of individuals with Asperger?s Syndrome. In fact motor clumsiness is so common that one diagnostic model for Asperger?s Syndrome, Gillberg?s Criteria for Asperger?s Disorder, includes motor clumsiness as a symptom which must be present in order for an individual to receive an AS diagnosis.

Tourette?s Syndrome
Although not seen as commonly as ADHD and anxiety disorders, it is not unusual to see individuals with Tourette?s syndrome as well as Asperger?s Syndrome. Tourette?s syndrome is characterized by repetitive vocal and motor tics.

These six conditions exist in the general public and in the absence of Asperger?s Syndrome. However, the rate of diagnosis among individuals with AS is unusually high when compared with those not on the spectrum. In time, scientists hope to better understand the link between these conditions.

Source/Original article:Asperger's Comorbid Conditions: SPD, ADHD, Anxiety, Depression, Dyspraxia, and Tourette's Syndrome | Suite101.com

What about co-morbids when it comes to autism in general and not just Asperger's?

I would think it to be more common with people to have phobias, depression or anxiety related disorders than anything else to be honest.
Most of those would share symptoms with regular Aspberger's, so I think in many cases that would be reading too deeply to qualify for a comorbid diagnosis.

I think I can almost qualify for a few of those (particularly in different times of my life), but they're never quite strong enough to get me wondering about them on my own. Aspberger's itself has quite a few symptoms and features, and it can vary quite a bit between individuals. I think comorbid conditions should only be diagnosed if that, in and of itself, is causing some problems that need to be adressed.

New Threads

Top Bottom