• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Asperger's and Misanthropy

I've been wondering lately if there is any correlation between Asperger's and misanthropy, or is it just me?

No, it isn't just you. I also hate (most) people too. I hate the dishonesty, viciousness, vindictiveness, ambition, and willingness to compromise principles (to give you a short list), that so, so many people display. Just reading about I.S.I.S. atrocities is enough to make me believe that mankind simply doesn't have a future, and that if there were any justice in this world then we would by now be extinct.

For a long time, as long as I can remember, I've strongly disliked people as a whole. Individuals are different, obviously depending on the individual themselves. I despise arrogance, aggression or attempts to elevate oneself above others(ambition as Bellatrix said). But it goes the other way too, any friendliness or affection will instantly win my approval. And god forbid a woman shows affection, I will love them forever.

In the end, I think people are a terrible idea and should abolished immediately.

[EDIT] I think Bellatrix actually sums up how I feel pretty dang well. Making this post obsolete. Ha.

Last edited:
For a long time, as long as I can remember, I've strongly disliked people as a whole. Individuals are different, obviously depending on the individual themselves. I despise arrogance, aggression or attempts to elevate oneself above others(ambition as Bellatrix said). But it goes the other way too, any friendliness or affection will instantly win my approval. And god forbid a woman shows affection, I will love them forever.

In the end, I think people are a terrible idea and should abolished immediately.

[EDIT] I think Bellatrix actually sums up how I feel pretty dang well. Making this post obsolete. Ha.

Reminds me of the bill hicks joke. He was starting a political party ' the people who hate people party'
He said 'are you gonna be there?
He'll no,not if you are...

Something like that

I can be pretty misanthropic at times. In fact, I often say I'll be a misanthropic hermit when I leave home.

Simply, people tend to frustrate and confuse me so I'd rather not bother with them. Now granted, the more I extend myself out there, I see that most people are pretty peaceful. But it seems my issue comes with people I get close to. The whole "friendship" thing doesn't work for me because I want to remain independent, and I've never had a friend who has understood me without demanding things I cannot give them (e.g. emotional support, going on social outings, and "hanging out"). I enjoy a good book, video games, research, long walks in the park alone, practicing musical instruments, cooking... All of these are solitary activities. Being around others is exhausting.

When I was younger I would readily admit to "hating people" but as I've gotten older I can no longer say that. I love people and genuinely care about individuals - but I'm not a gregarious social butterfly. I am a weirdo and a loner. I will be decent to people, will extend all the etiquette I have practiced toward them, will show affection to the best of my ability... But I am not like them. I'm water and they are oil.

I cannot say whether or not I am misanthropic. I can say that I prefer time to myself to analyze and decode NT's actions.

I believe that the reason that we do not get along well with NT'S is that we do not understand them. They speak a language that is ripe with pitfalls and holes you can fall into. For instance if an NT says be honest with me they mean tell me what I want to hear or I will be mad, more often than not. I do not typically say that phrase but if I did I would mean be honest with me.

As for the theory that we only explicitly keep out memories from childhood and the voice of out parents, I believe this to be untrue. Ask any neurodiverse person that has had childhood trauma and they will tell you those memories are deeply affecting.

I've been wondering lately if there is any correlation between Asperger's and misanthropy, or is it just me?
Maybe it's just my experiences and having any optimism about people gradually being beaten out of me at an early age. There are a lot of fake people out there, and from being on this site just a few days, I can already tell people on the spectrum have a hard time figuring out why everyone can't be honest, genuine and straight forward (Within reason. Sometimes honestly isn't the best policy). And not only that, but I'm sure many of us have been picked on for how we are, are unable to form relationships, been taken advantage of, etc., and that fosters resentment and hate.

Am I alone in this, or does has anyone else notice a correlation?

Hello, freebird. I'm somewhat of a misanthrope myself. I tend to always look for excuses to complain about someone or find the bad in someone, sometimes even loved ones. I also hold long, silent grudges against people that I feel have unfairly wronged me in the past. I hate fake people. So much. I'd rather be lonely than have fake friends, and I know what being lonely feels like. I know what being around fake jerks feels like. Fake friends would make me feel even lonelier, and I myself just don't understand why. WHY??!! Why do so many people choose this path? It's horrible. Just horrific. I do have trust issues. I made mistakes trusting certain people in the past and they took advantage of me. I've been picked on countless times in school and college. That's all cumulative, and it is exactly where I believe my dislike of people started. I keep saying "society is going to the dogs" over and over again. Even if I make a seemingly genuine friend, it still takes a while for me to make sure they're not fake. I just don't understand this world much of the time. :eek:

Maybe it's just my experiences and having any optimism about people gradually being beaten out of me at an early age. There are a lot of fake people out there, and from being on this site just a few days, I can already tell people on the spectrum have a hard time figuring out why everyone can't be honest, genuine and straight forward (Within reason. Sometimes honestly isn't the best policy). And not only that, but I'm sure many of us have been picked on for how we are, are unable to form relationships, been taken advantage of, etc., and that fosters resentment and hate.

Am I alone in this, or does has anyone else notice a correlation?
Definitely 100% agree. I used to be a bus driver, pre diagnosis, and I absolutely hated the passengers. Probably the worst possible job I could have done with the benefit of hindsight, but I really resented them stood at the bus stop waiting for my bus because I had to stop and pick them up. Those miserable dreary whinging faces with their silly little passes in their hands, or a £20 note first thing in the morning and take all my change! It got to the point where I actually used to just drive straight past them and pretend I hadn't seen them. So the answer is most definitely yes, there is a distinct link between aspergers and misanthropic behaviour

I've never considered myself a misanthrope. Though I do accept that I can only handle people in "small doses" rather than larger ones. And that I must regularly refrain from contact with them in general for my own well-being.

If I despised people in general I wouldn't be here online with y'all.

I've never considered myself a misanthrope. Though I do accept that I can only handle people in "small doses" rather than larger ones. And that I must regularly refrain from contact with them in general for my own well-being.

If I despised people in general I wouldn't be here online with y'all.
I'm a HGV Driver now and it suits me just fine. Sat on my own all day with my choice of radio station on, usually talk radio because I find music annoying

I'm a HGV Driver now and it suits me just fine. Sat on my own all day with my choice of radio station on, usually talk radio because I find music annoying

An admirable job. Decent wages and inherent solitude. Very cool from my perspective. ;)

Last edited:
I don't think I'd go so far to say I'm a misanthrope, but I sure as heck struggle with people. I like to think I give most people a fair chance to be a pal when I have first contact with them. I'm jaded enough to spot the problematic patterns when they arise though. Depending on how the relationship is going will determine if I'll fight to keep it, since it doesn't take much for certain people to write me off unfairly, and you can't make people care about you too.

The irony being it's just a nickname I picked up based on my stims. :p

Hahahaha! Judge I always figured you were a lawyer , if not a judge, based on your knowledge of the law. And to think the name was only based on some stimms, LOL!

Hahahaha! Judge I always figured you were a lawyer , if not a judge, based on your knowledge of the law. And to think the name was only based on some stimms, LOL!

Yep...as a youngster around 5 years old one my father's friends (and coworker) noticed me pacing back and forth, with my hands in my pockets carrying a very serious look on my face. He christened me "Judge" and it took for a few years. :p

Only a few years ago I determined that pacing is my primary form of stimming. :cool:

For me it's not so much the case that I hate people - hate is a really strong word that I use with caution - it's more that I don't trust people and don't let people into my world, so to speak. I put a barrier, both emotionally and physically between myself and people, and keep them at arm's length. It takes a long time of knowing someone before I trust them enough to open up to them.

No, it isn't just you. I also hate (most) people too. I hate the dishonesty, viciousness, vindictiveness, ambition, and willingness to compromise principles (to give you a short list), that so, so many people display. Just reading about I.S.I.S. atrocities is enough to make me believe that mankind simply doesn't have a future, and that if there were any justice in this world then we would by now be extinct.
Agreed! There is nothing more vile than the human race. Humans are a disgusting, self destructive, wasteful species. Selfish, impatient, greedy and no regard for each other

Agreed! There is nothing more vile than the human race. Humans are a disgusting, self destructive, wasteful species. Selfish, impatient, greedy and no regard for each other

What do you expect for predators who for the most part view themselves as being at the top of their food chain ? ;) :eek:

New Threads

Top Bottom