• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Asperger's and jobs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ace36

Both myself and my girlfriend have Asperger's.
I collect $1495.00 per month SSDI.
She collects $1,200 per month SSDI.

52c344100e1a4a7a4ece08d8e7112cac-cc-ft-576.webp

6244602bc356be753a1ddab59efbbf6c-cc-ft-576.webp

8ba3b484877781c7db22992b4032ab5f-cc-ft-576.webp

This is a 1 bedroom, 1 bathroom apartment, in Fayetteville Arkansas.
This apartment belongs to me and my girlfriend.
Our rent is $575.00 per month for this.

2022-africa-twin-dct-grand-prix-red-650x380.webp

This is the Honda Africa Twin, DCT Automatic Transmission, 998cc adventure sports motorcycle.
Her and I both have one, both red, same package, brand new.
Here in Arkansas, we drive it with no license.
Nobody stops us, never been pulled over.
With a top speed of 190 mph, we have no problem using the highways.

So exactly what would we want a job for, when we're treated like garbage on jobs, when we don't need jobs?

To prove something that we don't need to prove, that we won't be allowed to prove, and that would infact really hurt us by proving?

Nobody is going to be proud of us for us..
We'll just end homeless is all that will happen.

So shouldn't we enjoy SSDI disability retirement?

Who here do you expect to challenge that?

I liked when I worked at STEM jobs, but my autism prevented me from getting work in a buyer's-market economy, so I too am on SSDI.

(I do think that getting your driver's licenses is a good idea, though...)

Last edited:
We do sell candy though for extra money.
We buy bulk wholesale and sell retail.
Under the table.
That will probably bite you in the ass.

I kept my part-time job as a carrier for our local free papers (above board) until 2020. That income did not adversely affect my SSDI.

I like my job, but I also feel like this is a feeling that varies depending on whom you're asking. I'm sincerely happy to hear you've got such a comfortable life! I believe that what matters most is that you feel satisfied with what you have and do in your day to day life.

I'm glad that a life such as yours is possible! Nice bike!

My work opened up the world to me. My analytical talents in optimizing and validating processes in a highly regulated industry (drugs and devices) were in demand and I got to work with engineers who were tolerant of my quirks. So I got to work in many different countries. My tasks were challenging and intellectually stimulation. Yet in all of this I always had the users of the products in mind as if I was their quality representative.

The type of jobs I held over the years in a way were custom made for an Aspie, not expected to socialize
work alone, take care of a process. Fortunately, I fell in love with quality systems and using it to control processes. my son currently, manages a process as a manager. I offered to help him optimize it, wonder if he will take me up on it. Gave him an example of a completed and a blank control plan to get him started.

Your SSDI is more than my Social Security retirement. My total lifetime SSDI has amounted to $0. They said since I had a job with my Asperger's, then I was not disabled. My inability to get a job because of it was not a factor.

I did love my work doing exploration geology. When I could find work.

So exactly what would we want a job for, when we're treated like garbage on jobs, when we don't need jobs?

To prove something that we don't need to prove, that we won't be allowed to prove, and that would infact really hurt us by proving?

Nobody is going to be proud of us for us..
We'll just end homeless is all that will happen.

I don't have any idea of your situation with regards to your "disability" with your specific type of Asperger's,...I have some understanding of the variances even within the diagnosis of someone with an ASD-1 or ASD-2.

Having said that, I have been employed since I was 9 years old and have never not been employed,...so your post is a foreign concept to me. As such, I might not be as open with this attitude around some people, as there are many people who get really upset with diverting our tax dollars to support people who might actually be able to work,...and choose not to. Some may see this as "being a parasite on society".

As I said, I am not judging here,...I don't have any idea of your context and perspective,...but someone else might be quite prejudiced not knowing your situation.

I have to say that I got really lucky regarding my career. I happened into a job assembling and testing prototypes in a contract electronics design firm. Electronics design has been my obsessive passion since early childhood, so this job was heaven for me. After just a few years, I was promoted to senior electronics design engineer because of all the correction and improvements I added to the prototypes. Engineers started coming to me with electronics physics questions. I couldn't have been happier. I had my own private office / lab. That was my lucky.

I think you are also very lucky. I did have to work, but finding that job - or it finding me - was jack-pot lucky.

I think that if you are happy, then you should keep what you have got. I think it is generally very hard for autistic's to get a job that doesn't inflict a lot of anxiety, pain and demoralizing stress. It is very lucky to either find a job that fits or, even better, to not need a job at all.

I'm on SSDI, make less than 1k, can't find a relationship, so I'm alone, and living in an abusive situation with my family. I would KILL to have your life! I'm still trying to find a SO to pool resources with, but its proving difficult for some odd reason. BTW, minimum rent in my area is 1200k for that exact apartment, so I can't afford to move out on SSDI. I do try to do gig work, but my medical disability has left me unable to drive for 3-6 months, so no more supplemental income for a while. I've held 35-40+ jobs in my lifetime, and I just can't find anything else anymore. Glad you found a way to work the system, I'm still too disabled to do THAT, and I get a pittance of what you do!

So let me see if I’ve got this straight.

You and your girlfriend collect SSDI.

You both have brand new motorcycles (MSRP $15K each) that you admitted to being unregistered and driving them on the highway at 190 MPH without a drivers license.

You sell candy illegally and pay no tax on said sales.

You sound like a scammer that thinks nothing of doing something illegal and you are foolish enough to admit it in writing.

It’s things like the above that make my blood boil.

I am so glad that I worked my entire life and contributed to society. I am definitely not happy about having my tax dollars go to individuals that scam the system.

Get a flipping job!

8ba3b484877781c7db22992b4032ab5f-cc-ft-576.webp

This is a 1 bedroom, 1 bathroom apartment, in Fayetteville Arkansas.
This apartment belongs to me and my girlfriend.
Our rent is $575.00 per month for this.
To what do you attribute that good fortune?

The rent seems to be significantly atypical for the area.

Unless you mean that you and she each pay $575 per month.

So let me see if I’ve got this straight.

You and your girlfriend collect SSDI.

You both have brand new motorcycles (MSRP $15K each) that you admitted to being unregistered and driving them on the highway at 190 MPH without a drivers license.

You sell candy illegally and pay no tax on said sales.

You sound like a scammer that thinks nothing of doing something illegal and you are foolish enough to admit it in writing.

It’s things like the above that make my blood boil.

I am so glad that I worked my entire life and contributed to society. I am definitely not happy about having my tax dollars go to individuals that scam the system.

Get a flipping job!
Actually that bike does not have the legs for the speed they claim. It is 190 kph or about 118 mph. I had a Kawasaki Concours 14 and only drove fast on a course, hitting over 140 mph on a moto gp course without a race fairing, otherwise I rode conservatively. I'll let the organ donors speed and ride my own line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Threads

Top Bottom