• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Asperger Syndrome?

catherine.

Umm so hi everyone! I've been looking for this kind of forum for a while and after considering my options I decided to join. I hope this goes well.. So, I'm soon 30yo person, I hate to categorize myself as a woman even though the society seems to want that, and I'm what you'd call a self-diagnosed asperger.

I was diagnosed with severe depression when I was twenty or so. My symptoms are now at bay so I can work and do "normal" stuff again. I've asked my therapist if it's possible to test me for asperger but she seems to think it's irrelevant to get the diagnose while she admits I have "the characterics". And don't get me wrong, I do not want the diagnose but getting some answers would ease my mind since I've NEVER felt that I fit in anywhere. And if it test result would be negative that's fine too.

Since kindergarden through all my school years I experienced severe bullying like getting my clothes ripped off, pushing around, getting called by names (weird, stupid, creep) and being left out. I got excellent grades though, that was the only thing that kept me sane.

I've been told I was always a good kid, my parents didn't have to yell at me or anything like that. I was also very silent, I didn't like going to shops because I hated the rush and I had unconventional ways of playing. I could for example dismantle toys or common things like pens and then build new things with the dismantled parts. I remember I also preferred playing alone, playing with others seemed so much trouble due to their different views and ways, I'd even get frustated if they played "differently".

Some other intresting facts: I didn't learn how to drive bike until 3th grade, I couldn't tie my shoelaces right until 3th grade, I didn't REMEMBER the order of the months until 4th grade and I only remember them now cause I tried so hard to learn the order with a melody I invented, I mix up time a lot for example let's say the time is 5:30PM but I'll think in my head it's 6:30PM, also it's usual for me to say them wrong too for example 40 minutes past twelve. Oh boy, these facts make me seem stupid..

I still do not understand how most people can dance or do aerobic and stuff like that which requires placing your feet and arms in exact positions at the right time in rhytm. It seems impossible for me. I'd love to learn how to dance but I just can't do it, even with mirrored tutorial videos on youtube.

I find it exhausting to fake my emotions especially joy and happiness cause I usually do not show how I feel, I didn't know it until some people pointed it out years ago when they asked if I disliked them cause I do not smile or seem intrested. In my area of work I have to get along with many people and it gets soooooo tiring to observe my own facial impressions and body language so that clients feel assured I'm there for them. After the day I just want to stay in my cool dark bedroom alone and rest a bit.

I also find it hard to read emotions of others. Especially if they say one thing but mean another thing. Reading between the lines - not my area of expertise. I've found myself laughing in wrong situations too like one time my friend and his boyfriend had a quarrel about something trivial but the first moments I really thought they're just playing around so I giggled at them.

I hate when people make changes to plans. I like to think plans are like pacts and changing the time or place or anything about it feels almost like betrayal. Sounds stupid but yeah I'm like that. Also, if my husband suddenly tells me we have to go to his parents house for a visit, I feel distressed cause I had no time to mentally prepare for the visit. Usually we skip these kind of sudden visits and plan them on an exact date cause of me.

I have strange triggers which are only now unfolding to me too. Apparently the worst one is someone saying obvious things and instructions. For example my husband saying "look out, there is a car behind you!" when I'm exiting my parking slot and I clearly saw the other car before he even said anything. Those kind of instructions seem like people think I'm blind, stupid and can't do anything on my own even though they're trying to help - I guess.

Otherwise I love numbers, I love science, space, technology but I'm also artistic. I don't have many friends, a couple of them, and luckily they don't judge me, even though they don't always get me. I don't talk to them much and mostly it's them venting out some personal stuff and I listen and try to think of rational solutions to their problems cause that's my way expressing that I care and want to help. I think animals are so much easier to handle and to understand than people but without people in my life I do get lonely.

Soooooo this was a long one. If anyone gets to the end, congratulations and THANK YOU. And feel free to share your thoughts!

Hi there, catherine and very much welcome and you hopefully will not regret coming here.

Thank you for congratulating me :p but then again, I am a reader.

Much of what you say, echos my own life, but I HATE numbers and probably children are better than me at maths; yet bizarrely I am fantastic at book keeping.

Ahhh the time issue. No, you do not sound stupid, which also means that I can lessen the embarrassment for myself. I have a dreadful difficulty with the quarter TWO side of the clock and deliberately were a watch that is not digital.

Changes: don't go there, I am hopeless and yes, it does feel like a betrayal.

As for your part about your husband calling out that there is a car behind you, I would react the same as you. I do not have a licence at present, but did have the opportunity to find I can drive.

I can read emotions now and often get confused with what is said, if it seems off. Like the other day, someone said: you again?! Apparently it was said in humor.

If someone says they are going to be here at a certain time, I am afraid I get very aggitated when they have not arrived on time. I cannot deal with: I will be a few seconds or there abouts? Confuses me.

I am also an undiagnosed aspie.

Thanks for your reply Suzanne! I was starting to think no one has the patience to read my text but gladly I was wrong! English is only my second language and I tend to write too much so...

And sometimes I might even talk too much if someone asks me something about my special intrests just to be polite and I just go on and on about it and they're looking at me like "how on earth can I leave this conversation now" :D

Ah, that "I'll be there in a sec" confuses me too! I'm always early (sometimes even half a hour) in every meeting, casual or official, and dislike it when people who are late or say they'll soon arrive and they don't show up. To me "soon" is less than 5 minutes. Why do they say "soon" when they clearly can't keep that promise?

I can so relate with those weird "humour" phrases like "you again!" for example. I tend to get confused, sometimes even hurt, when I take things too literally and I have no one to clarify it was just a joke. I remember this one time when I was talking to my friend and said to her jokingly "I'm such a difficult person!" and she replied "Yes you are". To me it still seems like she really thinks that way since she didn't laugh at the time or give any sign that it should be taken as a joke. There are many examples like that and some of them (worst of cases) made burn bridges with those people.

I often wonder why people use so much time to lie and confuse others with pleasanties and what's the point of small talk!? I prefer to talk real things, not chit-chat about weather, make-up or hair-dos. They are what they are, what's the point of talking about them? :p

I too made it to the end and thanks for the congrats. As you've probably already realised, this is a really friendly and helpful community. It's great that you've found us.

From what you've written I have to agree that you sound like you are on the spectrum and you may also want to try some online tests such as the Aspies Quiz if you haven't already, they're obviously not an official diagnosis, but they can be good as a guide. Aspies are all different and have varying levels of different traits, some may be very pronounced, while a few may show very little or even not at all. Online tests such as this take this into account, so even if you answer with what you'd expect from a non aspie (NT) on some questions, the results could still conclude that you're an aspie. Obviously the most important thing is to answer the questions as honestly as possible.

Welcome to ASPIESCentral, I'm sure you'll fit in here very well. :)

welcome.png

Wow! Thanks a lot pjcnet, Keigan, Nitro and tree! :) I'm really starting to feel like I've come to the right place. I've never really been on a friendly forum so I mainly use forums only for reading and "research" but maybe finally I've found a place where I can even share my views of things and experiences without getting ridiculed and who knows maybe even get to know some people like me.

I remember taking that Aspie Quiz some time ago, I don't remember the score though, so I took it again just now cause what's the harm. I got 121 of 200 (You are very likely neurodiverse / Aspie). It's not official diagnosis, like pjcnet said, but stands for the chance I might be aspie. Surely the most important thing is how to learn to live with these traits now that I've become aware of them than the official diagnose. Some situations in life can be so overwhelming and it's nice to have someone to talk to who understands cause I've just been coping - alone. Since my husband doesn't really believe I'd be aspie since his sister's son (21yo or something) is aspie too and he shows more severe symptoms day by day: living still at his childhood home, not going outside at all, not having friends, not standing any outside visitors in the house, doesn't speak to anyone than his parents.:(

But well, we all are unique. ;)

Welcome.

I took a class on communication (this is very aspie, sharing knowledge , hope you don't mind). I agree with you and don't enjoy small talk but I did learn that it serves a purpose for NT's, not just to waste time. It builds or strengthens their bonds. I remember reading that the topic doesn't even matter sometimes, because it is not the point.

This prob doesn't help us connect with people.

It was a very interesting class.

I agree with your diagnosis, you sound aspie... welcome to the club.

Thanks -SN! Yes, I can see how it could matter to others (NTs) and I've trying to get better with small talk especially because of the clients who seem to like to talk to me about these trivial things but I feel like all that makes me lesser myself, if you know what I mean. Just like pretending to smile.

You know what's funny (or sad - depends how you look at it), I know my few friends have organized a small surprise birthday party for me on the next weekend and I'm super stressed out how on earth I'll look like SURPRISED and EXTREMELY GLAD and MOVED so that I won't hurt their feelings. Ofc I'm glad and happy that they went through the trouble but I fear I won't react the right way and seem like I don't care even though it's the opposite.

Haaa, that is funny. Cool that you have friends that care that much.

I can't imagin having to do small talk all day with clients. You should get an award for that!

Haaa, that is funny. Cool that you have friends that care that much.

I can't imagin having to do small talk all day with clients. You should get an award for that!

Yeah, I'm lucky to have these people (still) in my life. I usually drive people away or burn bridges myself but these ones have stayed with me for few years now. Must be a record!

Oh yes, an award would be nice. It could be like a nobel prize haha!! Since I've had this weird obsession since childhood that my life is not complete and I'm not a good enough person until I do something that changes the world and / or win a nobel.

I've had that same desire until recently.
I like fixing things and truly believe that Aspies could be the ones to solve some major world problems, because we see options that others don't.

Good luck with your Nobel!

New Threads

Top Bottom