• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Asperger´s is interfering with medical treatment.

Truthfully you have a right to know, ask for an interpreter from the patient intake office on the basis that you aren't understanding what they are doing. Or call the US Embassy, ask for interpreter there. Get to the point where the commincation is resolved before any invasive procedures.

Truthfully you have a right to know, ask for an interpreter from the patient intake office on the basis that you aren't understanding what they are doing. Or call the US Embassy, ask for interpreter there. Get to the point where the commincation is resolved before any invasive procedures.

That sounds like a good idea. Requesting a translator. Even though I understand German, It makes it official the conversation. Thank you.
take care,
base283

Thanks Mary,
I am not obese but that would not matter to me in this situation. They burnt me. It was Destructive Testing, As opposed to Non Destructive Testing. I did not need anymore testing and I most certainly was not going to NDT. I had turned down a biopsy and spinal tap so now they were try to do the CT against my wishes. I really don't mind about billable tests, as long as they are non destructive. The Hospital and Doctors need money to improve things.
Due to my ways of thinking, if I am conscious, I want to know what they planning to do to me, which medications etc. I have already been given the wrong medicine by mistake (It was for another patient.). Wrong as in I was allergic to it. I felt the effects and contacted the staff and they got me on anti allergens quickly so it was no big deal to me. Mistakes are a way in which I learn most things. I just don't want to be caught in someone else's mistake.
I don´t want anyone to be punished over a complaint that I made. I just want them to quit making healthcare inaccessable to me and others sharing my dilemma.
Imagine having a Doctor's appointment on the 3rd floor of a building that has no elevator and you have no legs. It is kinda like that I would imagine.
I will visit my GP tomorrow and let people on this forum know what the deal is. Hopefully, I wll get some good answers because I am quite certain that I am not unique in this situation either ;)
I thank you and your husband for taking the time to answer with your experience.
Take care,
base283.

There are few things scarier to me than having a medical professional doing something to me that I don't understand. Doctors are just like everyone else, they are not gods, and they owe you a full explanation of what's going on.

Hang in there and ask those questions!
[/QUOTE]

Let us know how it goes with the GP. People here care about you.

How deep is the x-ray burn? Is it considered a first degree or second degree burn? And did the medical staff give you any explanation for why you were burned? Did they give you any medicine to treat the burn? If you are not overweight (and I didn't mean to imply that you are), then it is most unusual for you to be burned during a routine x-ray. I'd complain, too, unless I received an acceptable explanation for why that happened.

Have the doctors asked you to sign a written consent form for any procedures they performed on you? I don't know how it works in Germany, but in the US all health care providers are required (mostly to protect themselves from medical malpractice claims by patients) to make a full disclosure to you of all significant risks involved in any medical procedure. You should read the consent form carefully before you sign it as it should detail what they intend to do to you and risks involved so you can make an informed decision about whether you agree to the procedure. You are entitled to have a copy of the consent form.

I'm hoping that your doctors are just being cautious about their concerns that you might have some kind of cancer. I don't think they would be doing these tests on you unless they truly suspect something is wrong.
Let's hope that they are just ruling out potential causes for the spinal fractures. There are lots of factors that could be involved with the condition of your bones such as normal aging, osteoporosis, lack of minerals such as calcium in your body to keep your bones strong, kidney disease, and side effects of numerous medications.

Look forward to hearing back from you.:)

"How deep is the x-ray burn? "
I would consider it 2nd degree. It just takes time to heal bodily. Mentally, I am terrified of x-rays now.

"Have the doctors asked you to sign a written consent form for any procedures they performed on you?" Normally they do, but I had no time to sign for the CT as I was running away this time and would not have signed.

"Let's hope that they are just ruling out potential causes for the spinal fractures. There are lots of factors that could be involved with the condition of your bones such as normal aging, osteoporosis, lack of minerals such as calcium in your body to keep your bones strong, kidney disease, and side effects of numerous medications."
It was a sporting accident where I was subjected to at least 12 Gs. Possibly 18Gs. They just don´t believe me I guess.
"Let us know how it goes with the GP. People here care about you."
Just got back from GP. I will post an update.
Thank you Mary,
Take care,
base283

Update:
I went to the GP and I think I have a workable solution. The reason why I say "I think" is that dang communication problem. I had to keep interrupting the GP's spiel. It wasn't about why the clinic doctors wanted to test me. It was about them causing a panic attack and why I ripped the IV out and ran away.
GP was in agreement with me that the doctors handled things falsely, Also she was quite impressed about the idea of a paper stating that I have ASD and to proceed with this in mind.
That most likely means that this paper has never existed before or has been used very seldom.
So the plan now is that GP will call the clinic doctor of my case and explain what happened and cite sources on how to handle ASD patients. Also, I am to go back to the diagnosing psychiatrist and get the paper describing how not to freakout Aspies. Me in particular I hope.
I don´t know if the clinic will take me back though.
The thing that bothers me most, is that there seems not to be a procedure in place to reduce the chances of this happening in the first place. An Aspie card would be a simple idea I think. It is obvious that simply writing it in the medical report won't suffice in Germany.
So that likely means that I am in very uncommon circumstances (which I doubt), Or that they are just unaware that this is a problem (likely).

Now that I think about it, My speech impediment and language difficulties due to Asperger's is interfering also with treatment. I went to an Aspie meet up but it was too far away and I didn't understand the fast talking fast enough, so 3 hours of travel with little benefit. This would be an ideal place to discuss this. If I could only speak well enough. (Help please!). I do carry a note pad and pen when I go out to write down the words I can't pronounce. Maybe it would be easier to pretend I don´t speak at all rather than being called lazy for not speaking the language after 20+ years here.

Just because I sound like I am retarded doesn't mean I am not intelligent. But it may be safer to treat me as if I were retarded with a chance to show that I am intelligent. An Aspie card could help.
Does anything like an Aspie card exist? I have a handicap card, but that is for travelling. Not for psyche issues. I don't really like telling people I am an Aspie but it could come in handy in situations such as these.
I will check out the German Aspie websites again with this in mind. I am still without the medical treatment I need and it is frustrating and my legal advisor has withdrawn from this part (medical) of my case because maybe of the panic attack.
Take care and please respond with any tips. I am so grateful for the help and ideas and conversing with you all.
base283

New Threads

Top Bottom