• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

asd ..... = inner prison ???

Timmy1

Hi,

May I please ask, is ASD just like a inner prison for the people who have it?.

Example:
A prison you go too (outer prison)....

but then people with ASD are a inner prison?. what I mean by that is, well it is like they are living in prison but on the inside ?....

???

Metaphorically in a way. That no matter where you go, you feel like you are on the outside looking in. Where you choose to be alone to escape it...

I don't think it's at all like an inner prison.
But I'm not really sure I understand the question. Could you try to explain what you mean?

Metaphorically in a way. That no matter where you go, you feel like you are on the outside looking in. Where you choose to be alone to escape it...
I like how you put it, you freely choose to be somewhere to not have to deal with the perceived lunacy which is the NT world. I don't look at it as a prison I see it as my happy place. Until someone drags me kicking and screaming out of it. :)

I like how you put it, you freely choose to be somewhere to not have to deal with the perceived lunacy which is the NT world. I don't look at it as a prison I see it as my happy place. Until someone drags me kicking and screaming out of it. :)
Yep I dont see it as a prison either. More like a panic room, designed to keep threats out. But seriously, the prison is a mental state that you can control. Its just a matter telling people what the visiting hours are

No, its not an inner prison.

There are many obstacles in front of us, but with a combination of efforts, intelligence and will power there is nothing that can stop any of us from going forward in life.

Thanks for the positive outlook Archer!!

I've felt like I'm unable to connect with people forever. That might he kind of like a prison. But I'm hopeful that with a diagnosis and things like social skills training things will get better

Thanks for the positive outlook Archer!!

I've felt like I'm unable to connect with people forever. That might he kind of like a prison. But I'm hopeful that with a diagnosis and things like social skills training things will get better

You are welcome.

Not gonna lie to you, connecting with people will probably never be your strong point. But yes it WILL get better with learning and practice. Learn to know yourself and accept it. If you aren't good at socializing, its okay. Don't beat yourself with a stick, its just one skill that you are less good at, that's all.

How can I image that ... Ah yes ... Every year for Christmas, I never know what to buy for people in m familly. I don't really know them cause, like you, i don't connect well with people. So instead of torturing myself and trying to buy the right thing, i made a deal with my sister. We buy the gifts together ... She tell me what to buy, and I go buy them. :) its a win win situation. She is happy because she don't have time to go shopping, and i'm happy cause I don't buy crappy gifts anymore. Perfect world.

So what i'm saying, is for each skill that you are less good at, there is always a way around that will make it less bad. Its just a matter of accepting it and using a bit of creativity to go around the obstacles that blocks you. Its always possible to go around if the straight path is unavailable.

Hi,

May I please ask, is ASD just like a inner prison for the people who have it?.

Example:
A prison you go too (outer prison)....

but then people with ASD are a inner prison?. what I mean by that is, well it is like they are living in prison but on the inside ?....

???

You could say that.

I can see out... but I can't get out. My brain won't let me.

I guess the idea of "prison" depends on whether you want out. Or in, if you're thinking of into the NT social world.
I see it ASD more as a home, a little house, a fortress, like the cave-fortresses we in my family would build under tables with sheets when we were kids, like a beautiful space under a coniferous tree with branches that almost touch the ground, where you can retreat into yourself and be safe from the chaos of the world.

I guess the idea of "prison" depends on whether you want out. Or in, if you're thinking of into the NT social world.
I see it ASD more as a home, a little house, a fortress, like the cave-fortresses we in my family would build under tables with sheets when we were kids, like a beautiful space under a coniferous tree with branches that almost touch the ground, where you can retreat into yourself and be safe from the chaos of the world.
To The Batcave! Love it, I have my own personal Batcave in my head! :)

I don't think it's an inner prison. I admit it crossed my mind in the past, but then my mind changed. I think all people can feel that way sometimes. Maybe, I just decided to work toward a rejection of the prison viewpoint. I haven't completely mastered anything, but have come to a certain peace. For me the peace is a key. If that makes sense.
This is just me, but the filing system of concepts, images, abstract images, and pathways in my mind allows me a nice (for lack of a better word) mobility and creativity most of the time. If I'm struggling with fear, anger or stress then it's limiting.

I've only ever seen classic autism described this way. If you are an intelligent human, but totally unable to communicate, it can be very frustrating. To a lesser degree AS can also feel a little like this.

Stone walls do not a prison make/ nor iron bars a cage. (the author wrote it in prison though)

I don't think that feeling confined because of fears and frustrations, is restricted to AS. Maybe the way of interacting is less natural, and there's a bit of outside looking in going on, but I can't really say.

Never really thought of it as a prison, but I guess there have been times when I've felt like I was in solitary confinement. Only difference is that I enjoyed it.

No, I am not in a prison of any kind. I am free as a bird. If anything, my AS is my superpower.

For me, very much a feeling of being in solitary confinement or outside looking in, certainly pleasurable sometimes, when I need the isolation, but extremely depressing when the isolation becomes lonely.

That is a difficult question to answer depending on your perspective ! Is the purpose of a prison to keep you in or other people out ?

Some people may not have a problem with being autistic.

Occasionally it might feel like an inner prison. Mostly it feels like an inner wonderland. I'm quite comfortable with my own thoughts.

New Threads

Top Bottom