• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Are you too open or too closed?

I tend to be more open when I'm on Facebook with my friends. I feel I can just relax more that way. But when I'm face to face with other people I'm more introverted because I feel more pressured when I have to talk to others in person.

I find that feeling wise i am very closed... i even keep them away for my wife, and we have been together every day for the last 10 years.

But thoughts, opinions and ideas... it does not matter who you are, once i start talking i dont stop, this has caused a few problems in the past, especially in work when i have been privi to sensitive information. I used to get called the town cryer :(

It depends on the situation. Most of the time, too closed. Online, I overcompensate because I am more comfortable and spill too much sometimes.

On the internet, open. I'm much more private in real life, but I'd like to be more open. It's really hard for me. Probably a combination of my fear of involuntary hospitalization and attachment issues.

I tend to be too open and now I am learning to not be so open because it's a bad thing. People judge you or get the wrong idea about you. But I always feel I am not being honest if I don't admit things and I feel I am wearing a mask.

I'm too open and I recently found out that I come across like I'm hitting on everyone. That's a little scary. It was fine probably to be in college and flirtatious but now that I'm older and in professional school it's scary to think everyone around me thinks I've been hitting on them :-/

I tend to be too open and now I am learning to not be so open because it's a bad thing. People judge you or get the wrong idea about you. But I always feel I am not being honest if I don't admit things and I feel I am wearing a mask.
Me Too! This is what I have been struggling with my whole life.

I don't think it's possible to be too closed. Yeah, almost everyone else thinks that's wrong because social networking. If you need to know it, you'll know.

I'm private and closed. I do share a fair amount on this forum, though. And I tell my best friend everything. No one else, though.

I'd still consider myself to be a private person but I'm finding it slightly easier to be more open with people; more so with people who I can relate to and they steer the conversation, with me chiming in whenever I feel like it. I'm still not comfortable with sharing personal details about myself and my life, and there are quite a few things about me that people who are close to me don't know. I've never worn my heart on my sleeve, so to speak; very often I keep my feelings to myself, unless I'm talking with someone I'm comfortable with and trust 100%, and a lot of the time they have to coax me into opening up.

From What I have been told, I have a lot of walls up when I meet someone for the first time.
Probably more like gates, as I get to know them I open up more to them, more open gates.

Hmm, I think I'm another half-half type. I'm quite open online, and with people I trust, but with everyone else, it's a case by case basis. I'm not afraid to meet new people, but the type of person I meet can determine how I react to their vibe.

I'm much more open than I used to be; I used to let no one in, but have learned to take down my walls, and only ever shut them back up when I feel uncomfortable, or unfamiliar with new social situations.

Online I can give the appearance of being open. In person I'm very guarded. The walls only come down with familiarity...which on a social level hasn't happened to me in years. Not since I worked regularly...

I'm both. Probably too open and generous most of the time. However when I feel vulnerable I flip to shutdown mode.

I used to be too open, now I'm very closed. I don't think it matters though, since most people just make small talk to me with no apparent intention of getting to know me as a person or forming a real friendship.

I'm too closed. It's not that I don't know how to share my feelings with those I don't know well, it's just that I get no pleasure from it whatsoever.

It’s my nature to be a closed person and it’s not difficult to understand why. Every day at school I’m exposed to kids who publicly reveal every aspect of their lives. It's impossible not to be aware of this drama because the kids make sure everybody in class hears it. They talk about who is a slut, the booze and stuff they've had, who has the best weed. They are always in need, always in crisis, and delight in sucking the life right out of other kids by exposing secrets. And then they brag about having hundreds of friends online and IRL. It’s irrational that anybody would open up and become vulnerable to the lying, backstabbing and manipulation. Their behavior only serves as reinforcement of my closed nature.

My mom once told me that it’s better to have four quarters, than a hundred pennies. I can understand exactly what she means.

New Threads

Top Bottom