• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Are you currently employed?

I'm guessing that most folks here are under 30 or college students seeking employment.

I am employed but truthfully I know my job is not my 'dream career'. One of the main reasons I took up accounting was to limit much interaction with people because I did more front desk work and sales before but I was so drained at the end of the day...but I've realised that even at work dealing with co workers is tough but I'm hanging in there. Sales training has helped me deal with people but its not something that came to me naturally...I had to work really hard at it. Since accountants are usually assumed to lack 'people skills' I assumed that being one could have me excused but even dealing with other accountants I have found to be a bit stressful.

I've already started trying to figure out my next career...something along the lines of computer engineering/economics and music - something more into doing research. My job is just NOT mentally stimulating and I'm actually bored! Can't wait to finish professional exams!

Thing is you can't really avoid people all the time but at least doing what you really want to do while having to deal with the people problems makes life a bit more fulfilling.

I'm 31, but a fulltime student. I'm just determined to finish up my degree...I refuse to settle for some unsatisfying job. I have worked plenty of jobs, but hated most of them. I get bored easily as well..so I'm hoping that after I finish my degree I can be more choosey.

I'm 31, but a fulltime student. I'm just determined to finish up my degree...I refuse to settle for some unsatisfying job. I have worked plenty of jobs, but hated most of them. I get bored easily as well..so I'm hoping that after I finish my degree I can be more choosey.

Just curious, do you have some idea of non-boring jobs you'd like?

No.

The main problem is that I live in a desolate area full of retired people. There are no jobs here. The only "job" I could get around here would be farm work, but I'm not cut out for that type of work. I need to move to a city but I've many problems which prevent me from moving:

1. I don't have the funds to move
2. I've awful credentials and the only type of job I'd be able to get, if I were to find one, would be a degrading job that I likely wouldn't be able to hold for very long
3. I'm not cut out for the whole socialization thing

Even if I were able to get financial assistance from my family to allow me to move, I can't see myself being able to get an apartment and find a good job within a month or two. It doesn't seem feasible. I hope that I'll win the lottery one day and be able to move to the city to start a fresh life, but that's obviously just a pipe dream.

For the past few years I've been pondering ordering books to learn programming languages in hopes that I could earn an income. As long as I could both pay rent and have quite a bit of money on the side to spend. I'd be perfectly fine living in a small, one bedroom place. I just want to live in a city where nobody knows me, where I could form friendships and find a girlfriend. All I'm doing here is slowly rotting away; there's no chance of things getting better where I presently am.

Last edited:
I have been employed 30 years in the preclinical research industry. I am what they call a data coordinator, which means I take data from a master database and arrange it into graphs and tables by category. I also do some data entry. It can be stressful because it is very deadline driven and I often get multiple requests that are also complex, not to mention frequent interruptions. So I have recurring stress issues. But my supervisors like the quality of my work and the fact that I have a lot of knowledge based on my years of experience. I like my job and figure that things would be much the same anywhere as far as work issues; it never occurred to me or anyone around me that I should look for Asperger-friendly jobs because as far as they were concerned I was perfectly capable of doing almost anything. I guess maybe they were right. It's been a challenge but I think a good one.

No but I really want to be. I live near the monkey forest in Trentham and I've been after a job there for ages, in Summer I sent them an email, no reply, and I went to give them a CV and ask but it was already closed. While I've been thinking about it I've just sent them a message on their "contact us" page on the website asking if there's any vacancies. I'd like to be a guide there because they tell the visitors facts about the monkeys and when the monkeys get fed one of the guides stands there and tells everyone watching about the monkeys and who's who and what's going on. I'd quite like to do that.

Yes, I am currently employed. Do I like my job? Not really. I have been basically stuck working as a caregiver because that is the only thing I have experience in. I want to finish up my studies as a student. My all time thing would be in crime scene investigation or working in the lab doing something like that. The type of job I do is working with elderly that depend on me. A lot of them have dementia or Alzheimer's. I do find it very stressful, and hard on the body physically. In order to pursue my dreams I have to quit working and right now that is not an option with everything going on. I have a very low stress and anxiety level, and until I can get help with my anxiety or whatever issues I got going that is preventing me, I am stuck. I am actually looking for a different job. Over the years I have actually had a lot of jobs, due to being stressed or burnt out in the type of work I do. The only good thing about my type of work is there is always a high turnover rate, and nursing homes usually need help. I have tried college three times and two of them was after I have had my son. Its harder than I thought. trying to work, go to school and raise a kid on my own. I'd be happy to just find a job that doesn't involve me having to deal with the major drama or a mock general hospital setting.

I've been off work for ~8 months. I lost my license to practise because of abuse of drugs (I had free and easy access to them) due to my anxiety. I was prescribed benzodiazepines. I built tolerance to it, then I upped the dosage along with the addition of narcotics (as benzodiazepines alone stopped working). I then phoned my College about my abuse.

Dealing with customers/patients, etc. was torture at times, especially due to the muti-tasking nature of my job. The ultimate worst part of my job is working at the till. I can't avoid it because I don't have any pharmacy technicians helping me after 10 pm. My pharmacy was open 24 hrs/day.

I'm not looking forward to returning but I don't see any other options as I have no other employable skills.

I have had some issues with drug abuse, and trying to cope. It isn't easy to stop once you find something that makes you feel normal, or helps you to be able to deal.

An update on my situation:

I'm currently on a special type of unemployment benefit. I have a letter from my doctor stating that I can't work due to my AS. I also can't work due to my sleep disorder, OCD and the fact I have no grades anyway. So I'm on this benefit and I did an interview a few weeks ago about my condition/situation. They recently sent me a letter saying that they are going to work with me on helping me get ready to enter employment. I have to attend classes or something like that. No idea what they're going to do yet.

That's nice that you get classes! I'm looking into doing some at this place that gives support for young people with mental illness... They aren't used to having aspies, so I'm not sure how it will go, but I figure I should give it a try.

There's a job opening for the summer to work as a camp counselor at the Autism Centre. I really really want the job. They know I'm an aspie, but I don't go there regularly... and I'm not sure if I should talk about it in the interview. I've taught NT kids before though so I guess that will look good on my resume... Ack so nervous :p

Hope you get the job Whale_Bone! I think having someone who is on the spectrum in that kind of job would be beneficial.

An update on my situation:

I'm currently on a special type of unemployment benefit. I have a letter from my doctor stating that I can't work due to my AS. I also can't work due to my sleep disorder, OCD and the fact I have no grades anyway. So I'm on this benefit and I did an interview a few weeks ago about my condition/situation. They recently sent me a letter saying that they are going to work with me on helping me get ready to enter employment. I have to attend classes or something like that. No idea what they're going to do yet.

It sounds like things are (if slowly) starting to get figured out for you. I hope the classes are good!

I'm employed at Aspies Central but I haven't received a single paycheck yet . . . :shocked::(
I demand at least $1000 a month for my services here! :D

It sounds like things are (if slowly) starting to get figured out for you. I hope the classes are good!

I hope so. I shall report back when the classes start and say how I'm getting on with things.

I'm employed at Aspies Central but I haven't received a single paycheck yet . . . :shocked::(
I demand at least $1000 a month for my services here! :D

You should forward that complaint to Superboyian. He takes care of the paychecks ;)

Speaking of which, where's my paycheck for my service on Spectrumville?

No i'm not employed but i'm surviving junior high school right now and it's a living hell. But i am looking for a part-time job while i'm attending school so i can earn money for recreational things.

looking for a part-time job. but I am really manly an college student I an 29 and really want to finish. I am studying History and Theatre Arts Acting stream.

I'm a full-time college student, but I've also been working part-time as a cashier at a grocery store since July. In addition to ringing people's items out, the cashiers have to straighten all the goods on the shelves after the store closes. I'm a very efficient worker. My hard work got me noticed, and I was made a supervisor about a month ago. It requires a lot of assertiveness and multi-tasking, so I've been struggling. No matter what task I do there, I truly hate my job and have yet to meet someone who works there that likes it. The managers are unprofessional and incompetent, and never tell anyone when they do something right. They keep the people 18 and older there until midnight. Then the store is always packed with customers. The stress is high, to say the least.
However, I'm oddly more social at my job than anywhere else. I talk to everyone frequently. But co-workers STILL label me as a shy person and never invite me to hang out. So I guess my awkwardness truly can't be hidden. :/

New Threads

Top Bottom