• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Are we robotic?

No, we're not robotic, but I don't see what OCs have to do with that anyway. Writing fanfiction is a popular hobby amongst nerdy types (have you ever noticed how quickly AO3 meet their fundraising targets? If people gave that eagerly to charities the world would be a very different place), and is certainly not the preserve of autistic people. Nor are OCs. In fact if you're looking for silly stereotypes I think that 'autistic people are not creative enough to write fanfiction or make up OCs' would be a more common perception.

Personally I generally don't like OCs, as the vast majority of fanfic writers simply don't have the talent to properly flesh out and integrate an original character, but there's nothing wrong with writing them if you want to, and there is the occasional author who does it incredibly well.

It's kind of hard to figure out what you point is here, but it seems kind of like you think special interests are a bad thing(?). They're not, there's nothing wrong with having intense interests in a particular thing (such as making OCs for your fave fandom), or spending a lot of time on that one thing, so long as it doesn't impact your ability to live a functional life.

We aren't robotic, I like to think of myself as being superhuman. There are just things that others can do and I can't, it doesn't make anyone "robotic". Like Wind Whisper (from My Little Ponies aka, mlp) has "no emotions" on the outside (she thinks logically), she too has feelings. Making OCs is one of the most creative things you can do in any fandom and should be applauded, not shunned.

How I feel in this thread reminds me of how I feel socializing in the the world, probably because people seem to be speaking a different language, are using words like "nerdy" and "imao," and asking rhetorical questions I don't understand. :sweatsmile:

#halfjoking
#usedahashtagtotrytofitin
#diditwork

How I feel in this thread reminds me of how I feel socializing in the the world, probably because people seem to be speaking a different language, are using words like "nerdy" and "imao," and asking rhetorical questions I don't understand. :sweatsmile:

#halfjoking
#usedahashtagtotrytofitin
#diditwork

Same here. I have no bloody clue what alot of people are talking about half the time.

On a side note, Iv'e never understood the whole hashtag thing. Even as a computer geek, I still can say that.

Just seems bloody weird to me.

#idontgetit

Same here. I have no bloody clue what alot of people are talking about half the time.

On a side note, Iv'e never understood the whole hashtag thing. Even as a computer geek, I still can say that.

#idontgetit

I've always thought of it as something you're whispering after the things you said at a normal volume, but that doesn't make sense for all of them I see. It does make sense for all the ones I use, but that's because that's how I think of it so I purposely do it that way. And it works for yours! :D

It's amazing how many time that little tic-tac-toe symbol has had it's name changed. First, it was just called the "number symbol", then the "pound sign", then "octothorp", and now "hashtag". When will this madness end?

We aren't robotic, I like to think of myself as being superhuman. There are just things that others can do and I can't, it doesn't make anyone "robotic". Like Wind Whisper (from My Little Ponies aka, mlp) has "no emotions" on the outside (she thinks logically), she too has feelings. Making OCs is one of the most creative things you can do in any fandom and should be applauded, not shunned.
Lol, I remember that show. I'm laughing because when I saw the toy of Wind Whistler and the story that they used to have about the G1 MLP characters on the back of their packages implied she was kind of a ditz or an airhead instead of the rational, level-headed character she was in the cartoon.

Last edited:
To classify us as such strips us of our humanity and makes it easier for NT's to infringe on our basic rights. It's a dangerous way of generalizing a certain group. As for OC's I never have created an OC before. I create my own stories I dont self insert into someone else's.

To be honest, you're probably better off posting this in a different section. I'm going to take a wild guess, and say that ALOT of people checking this out dont know what "OC" means here or what it has to do with a "fandom" or any of that.

For those wondering, "OC" stands for "original character". "OCs" is just the plural of that.

Typically this entails taking an already-existing property... say, Star Wars for instance... and making your own character to fit into that universe/story/game/movie/whatever. What happens with that character afterwards could be all sorts of things... perhaps a written story (usually) or actual drawn art (less common) or so on. Among the geek crowd this whole concept is EXTREMELY common. Some might say, too common. Outside of the geek crowd, however... not so much. Bring up OCs and related topics in a place like this, and you're likely to just confuse many.
Okay, I was hoping it meant that. But I couldn't be sure. I didn't think anyone else here was as lame as me :eek:

I think writing OCs is a normal thing. My issue with fanfictions aren't OCs, I see them generally as a symptom of bad fanfiction, though they can be found in plenty of good ones. These OCs just serve as a way for the writer to insert themselves into their fandom and write a self-serving fantasy that is flighty, poorly organized, and just has all the other issues of bad writing. Don't get me wrong. I think that people should be encouraged to write.

You misinterpreted my passage lmao. How would it look if I drew mlps and nothing else?
Oh, looks like I misinterpreted the point of the OP as well. Yeah, I think it's fine. Several years ago I only wrote fan fiction for Skyrim now I'll only write it for Fallout or Don't Starve. I think this level of commitment to a fandom is not exclusive to people on the spectrum. And who really cares besides what other people think? If you aren't hurting anyone and can function otherwise, have at it.

I dated a brony. Sue me.

Not that MLP is the only thing that matters I just think that its the one people are most judgmental of. I say they should watch the show, then they'll understand the appeal.

I am, yes. Fortunately, not too many people catch on to this fact and I seem to blend in fairly well. Don't ask me about the details, it's not something I know and something that probably is best left unknown.

For the rest of you flesh puppets out there without personality emulation software, it's a surface impression that means little and ignores the depth of your personality. It's not something that should be taken personally, so just brush it off and keep doing what you do.

Last edited:
Oh, looks like I misinterpreted the point of the OP as well. Yeah, I think it's fine. Several years ago I only wrote fan fiction for Skyrim now I'll only write it for Fallout or Don't Starve. I think this level of commitment to a fandom is not exclusive to people on the spectrum. And who really cares besides what other people think? If you aren't hurting anyone and can function otherwise, have at it.

A Dont Starve fan? Here? Really?

I must say, I am moderately surprised to see anyone mention it in this place. Yes, I'm a fan of it as well.

New Threads

Top Bottom