• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Are there people who can teach you to play a game?

This is superprof.com

They will not let me talk to anyone to ask if they can help with this game unless I give them a credit card and pay them and I do not want to do that because what if they say they do not know about that game, I will have payed for nothing.

Screen Shot 2022-07-10 at 3.31.13 PM.png

Dont... dont do that.

You're paying for something that is going to be very... wobbly at best, or a scam at worst. Or very, VERY drastically overpriced even if you find one that works. And yes, I went and had a look just now to see what you meant. None of this is even remotely trustworthy. I've been in this hobby since the primitive days and even I'd never once heard of such a "company". The more I look, the more red flags I see with this concept and the "services" offering it to you. Heck, some of these "tutors" are actual kids.

And even if you find someone who isnt trying to eat your wallet (and who also isnt just ASSUMING that they are the expert when they actually arent), that doesnt mean that A: they'll finish the job, or B: that they can at all deal with someone who has autism. And if B happens, you'll both just end up frustrated and time & money gets wasted. Dont expect any of these people to take their time and be considerate of someone on the spectrum. Even if they advertise as being so. On top of that, the longer it takes, the more it's gonna cost ya. Even if it works this is likely to cost you HUNDREDS. Or more. And even then, they might not REALLY teach you everything you need to know!

On top of all of that, this sort of thing is inherently difficult to teach. I've written actual guides myself before, for games that arent as bloody complex as that one, and even if the complexity is lower, REALLY writing an effective guide is incredibly difficult and very, very time consuming. Imagine how hard it must be to get genuinely skilled at just teaching anyone who pays you in a situation involving dynamic communication, with the need to adapt to the person being taught.

...Also seriously, what kind of jerk charges someone else to teach them a bloody video game? Answer: the sort who is hoping to make a quick buck and/or take advantage of someone.

And all of this for a game notorious for being abnormally complicated (which is why it would literally cost you hundreds even if it DID work). Which is something I warned you about, as I recall. You jumped in the very deep end without learning to swim first. Of course it's super difficult now. This is what I said would eventually happen with this game (and frankly it happens to a LOT of players who try it).

Like I've said before: Ask an actual friend (as in, someone you trust who aint gonna freaking charge you to help with a video game) for help directly, use written/video tutorials, or just poke things in-game and explode a lot until stuff makes sense. Or play something else and, I dunno, work towards this one later.

Those are really the only options. Even long-time gamers like myself have to put in lots of effort to learn something major like this. There's no magic quick solution and money aint gonna solve it.

Misery, thank you so much. I will listen to you and not hire someone. Also I will do the other things you said, poke around and see what happens. I have taken time away and learned to do other things. Maybe each time I go back the Elite: Dangerous it will be a little easier. The idea of being able to fly in space and also be seated and not have to use my arms and shoulders is wonderful to me. I will keep trying. Also I will keep trying the videos, maybe learn one thing from them at a time, stop the video and do that again the next time I move forward in it.

I am grateful for you warning me.

New Threads

Top Bottom