• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Are there any Math fans here ?

2014-06-13 19.01.56.jpg

That's my sort of humour. I have a t shirt with a protractor, compass and ruler on it. It says Weapons of Math Instruction

On a more serious note, has anyone else noticed spell checkers "dumbing down" in general? I mean not even "American" English or whatever - I think if enough people spell something wrongly, the algorithms are adapting to the new way of spelling. Not right! No, seriously!

My phone sometimes replaces "thanks" with "thanx". It also accepts "ur" as correct. It slipped thru [joke - also accepted by the spellchecker] once during a chat.

I like the deeper and broader topics in math. They are fascinating. It sucks people are so rarely exposed to them...

Mathematical logic? Didn't Godel screw that up for everyone?
Yes, the deeper and broader topics in mathematics are seldom expressed. I wonder why.
On the other hand, I'm not sure people are enough exposed to fascinating special concepts like Pythagorean primes.
Yes, I would like more philosophy of mathematics.

I like the reliability of numbers. Thinking in pictures means I can see (in my minds eye) what's happening in a sequence. Increases, decreases, roughly equal amounts when presented in different ways, changing direction and so on.

I admire its no nonsense appearance. It is what it is and that's that. But I've never felt the urge to go beyond what I need for my day to day. To date, I haven't been curious enough to explore further.

I am!, back when I was at high school I wasn't a fan of it but when I entered college (electronic eng..) I became a huge fan of all the posibilities it give us. I'm most interested in Differential Equations and Calculus and sometimes I tutor some other students.

Sometimes I think if I wasn't studying engineering I could study math or physics.

I like the reliability of numbers. Thinking in pictures means I can see (in my minds eye) what's happening in a sequence. Increases, decreases, roughly equal amounts when presented in different ways, changing direction and so on.

I admire its no nonsense appearance. It is what it is and that's that. But I've never felt the urge to go beyond what I need for my day to day. To date, I haven't been curious enough to explore further.
I also admire its no nonsense appearance but I still don't get the impression of something predictable.

I used to love math. Over the years, school completely and utterly destroyed that love.
Yes, if you find todays math school a discomfort, then you are in my opinion bright. Today's school focus solely on the expected brightest – those who have great parents.
But that is not about the beauty of maths:)

Last edited:
This image alone sums up my feelings on the subject.

Numbers? Geometry? Not a problem.

Algebra? Calculus? Hah...forget about it!
Geometry doesn't work without letters, does it?
Otherwise you seem to be fond of algebra and calculus …

Last edited:
Geometry doesn't work without letters, does it?

Right, but with geometry I could at least visualize the solutions and get it right.

Couldn't do that with algebra...I had to retake basic algebra through a computer course in my last year of school. I passed it fortunately, but not without great difficulty.

Right, but with geometry I could at least visualize the solutions and get it right.

Couldn't do that with algebra...I had to retake basic algebra through a computer course in my last year of school. I passed it fortunately, but not without great difficulty.
Yes, that is exactly what you are supposed to do. I think you see …
There are three parts: (1) The visualizing part [that is, make images on your paper and in your head], (2) learn how to get the correct digital answer from these images; and (3) compose a sentence from your findings.
Part 3 is a often a piece of cake if you accomplish part 1 and 2.
The images you make up in your head is not a business of anyone else, they are your own!

Last edited:
I really hope that you go clear from the hurricane Irma.
I see that A Beautiful Mind is available on YouTube. I will watch it. :smiley:
I've now watched it <GREAT>

Last edited:
I dunno if I could call myself a math fan as I have a fascination with numbers and the occult. :/
Numbers may have any kind of values, as long they obey the laws of numbers

Last edited:
I love maths. I love the patterns, the magic, the definitive nature.

I love times tables: My favorites is the 18s.

I study accountancy and statistics and have maths book to help me in stressful situation. (I use it during PSHE at collage).

I've always been interested in Math.

I find Prime numbers and Number Theory very interesting.

Our eight year old Autistic son loves Math. At age two, he counted to 100 despite not talking until one or two months before that, as he was delayed at speech. He is about two grades level above his age now for math proficiency. He often loves figuring out complex Math problems in his head, after I ask him various harder Math questions, and then he asks me if his answer is correct. He is correct 95% of the time.

I majored in math with a minor in statistics. However, I preferred to major in English, but I had extreme fear of required oral report presentations, reading out loud, and group projects whereby talking was needed. For math and statistics courses, the professors did not require social things. There were just one or two classes where students would have to go up to the blackboard to solve a problem; the rest of the courses were just lectures sitting in traditional seating.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom