• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Are people on Autism spectrum less driven by emotions?

epath13

the Fool.The Magician.The...
V.I.P Member
I've heard this types of statements many many times but the more people on the spectrum I encounter the less I agree. I believe people on the spectrum can be driven by emotions as much as everybody else, the only difference that we may process and explain emotions differently. Plus our emotional triggers may be different as well... Slightly... I consider a person who is not driven by emotions is the one who takes his or her emotions in consideration but then analyzes situation and bases the final decision on the facts not on opinion. That is not an easy skill to develop.... Yes skill... And sometimes it's not easy to see what is a fact and what is an opinion... But still...
And... I believe that is one of the most important skills anyone should learn...
One more thing... Sometimes people tend to gather facts that match their emotional state and base their decisions in life on those facts not on all the facts :) so in the end ... Maybe it's not even possible not to be driven by emotions... The question then will be... What kind of emotions you should be driven by? :)

I've heard this types of statements many many times but the more people on the spectrum I encounter the less I agree. I believe people on the spectrum can be driven by emotions as much as everybody else, the only difference that we may process and explain emotions differently. Plus our emotional triggers may be different as well... Slightly... I consider a person who is not driven by emotions is the one who takes his or her emotions in consideration but then analyzes situation and bases the final decision on the facts not on opinion. That is not an easy skill to develop.... Yes skill... And sometimes it's not easy to see what is a fact and what is an opinion... But still...
And... I believe that is one of the most important skills anyone should learn...
One more thing... Sometimes people tend to gather facts that match their emotional state and base their decisions in life on those facts not on all the facts :) so in the end ... Maybe it's not even possible not to be driven by emotions... The question then will be... What kind of emotions you should be driven by? :)

My own experience based on my son's life who was diagnosed Aspergers in adulthood; Aspergers are emotional as anyone else. They don't express their emotions freely. The negative emotions stimulate their mind to a great extent and then the "black&white" thinking leads them to anxiety and depression. Positive stimulant by friend or a family member they trust can greatly reduce the stress by inducing positive thoughts. This may seem illogical (grey area) to them, but it really works and does wonders. I speak with personal experience.

I believe that there may be sub-categories among Aspies with regards to emotions. Some may be particularly un-emotional, others may experience strong emotions. Some individuals may experience both states at different times. (myself, for instance.)

I Am Driven!
My emotions drive me in such a powerful way, that I liken it to a gigantic boulder tumbling down a mountain, Unstoppable. I do not act on this, as I am very patient and have taught myself better, but the power it holds, WOW! I tremble, I cry, I burn and I pour out everything for the world to see. My mind and my heart soar together, but I look to my brain for answers.
I have always used the word "Driven", because I feel like someone is standing behind me just pushing with all of their might. A driving force.

Do you find that days when something really good happens become extremely painful as you are overwhelmed by the powerful emotion?

Do you find that days when something really good happens become extremely painful as you are overwhelmed by the powerful emotion?
I think I can understand how it might feel for you if all you want is to maintain emotional balance. For me it's this way (and I might have mentioned it some place already): I often compare myself to water, ocean.... Something like that.... I may have waves on the surface but the floor is always calm. So to me, emotions are like a layer, a type of skin in a way... As for your question, excitement would be triggered by positive events and even sometimes it might feel quite uncomfortable, I do appreciate it... I learned to appreciate it by noticing its tiniest details when I was a child.

Last edited:
If anything, I think Aspies can be particularly headstrong, and thus more susceptible to "emotional" response. But compared to the "general population"? In balance, I would imagine about the same.

I think, as with NTs, there is a broad range of different emotional consciousnesses among Aspies. What is probably the main difference is that we may process, express, understand & express the same emotions differently. I am at the far end of the emotionally dulled Aspies. I can intellectually understand what certain emotions & feelings are but that is not the same as feeling them deeply & spontaneously the way many people seem to. Also, by the time I realize I'm experiencing one, it's gone! I have no idea where it goes when it leaves or what triggers the odd one I get.

@Sportster: headstrong is better than headweak!

I think, as with NTs, there is a broad range of different emotional consciousnesses among Aspies. What is probably the main difference is that we may process, express, understand & express the same emotions differently. I am at the far end of the emotionally dulled Aspies. I can intellectually understand what certain emotions & feelings are but that is not the same as feeling them deeply & spontaneously the way many people seem to. Also, by the time I realize I'm experiencing one, it's gone! I have no idea where it goes when it leaves or what triggers the odd one I get.

@Sportster: headstrong is better than headweak!
I think Aspies experience everything in one of two radically opposing ways. Sensory sensitivity issues or insensitivity even to pain...silence or monologuing... lack of romantic interest or obsessive stalking behavior...lack of feeling/recognition of emotions in oneself or intense emotions...

My own observation is that Aspies appear to be head strong but they are actually not. Its only when one does not understand their emotions, they appear to be head strong. They are comfortable in an environment and any change is emotionally challenging. My son does not like changing his car or his home its an emotional stimulant and therefore, he resists it. He feels secure in his comfort zone. I respect it now. He will adapt to this challenge with time.

I think Aspies experience everything in one of two radically opposing ways. Sensory sensitivity issues or insensitivity even to pain...silence or monologuing... lack of romantic interest or obsessive stalking behavior...lack of feeling/recognition of emotions in oneself or intense emotions...

This is why it's called a spectrum, and this is why so many people find autism confusing. I'm curious to know, in your own experience do aspies understand each other, and more particularly do they understand each other when they are experiencing life in an opposite way? Like, can an aspie who has no interest in romantic relationships still feel connected and understand another aspie that desires a relationship more than anything else in the world?

This is why it's called a spectrum, and this is why so many people find autism confusing. I'm curious to know, in your own experience do aspies understand each other, and more particularly do they understand each other when they are experiencing life in an opposite way? Like, can an aspie who has no interest in romantic relationships still feel connected and understand another aspie that desires a relationship more than anything else in the world?
Well, my best friend is probably an Aspie. I "get him", and he me. And this married couple I knew were both Aspies and I suspect their two year old son was too. They understood me. I was the one person at the Daycare who really understood their little son.
I find that I understand Aspies that experience life in an opposite way, yet not on the same level as I understand my best friend. (His life is externally actually quite different than mine, and he is warmer and sweeter than me, but I actually became warmer and nicer from his influence.) And some other Aspies annoy me. (in real life, that is. No one here annoys me.) I feel guilty for feeling annoyed in such cases.

My friend who moved down South has undiagnosed Autism. We both understand each other the way N-T's never will. N-T males imo tend to be macho, non feeling & shallow. If I haven't seen an N-T for awhile and am happy to see them, its as if I've made some social mistake...
Maybe I just don't understand this question.

Girlfriends used to tell me I sometimes was cold/didn't have feelings. Had to explore that & learn about empathy via Dale Carnegie etc.
I have deep emotions. Wish I didn't...it's not socially acceptable for American men to show their feelings.

New Threads

Top Bottom