• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Are mathematical ability and mental illness linked?

My father is like this. He has dyslexia but has always been talented with mathematics. Both of my parents are good with maths. However, I am not. My sister shows some dyslexic tendencies in terms of spelling, but I do not believe that she is dyslexic. She is good at maths also. I have visual processing issues, and whilst I am undiagnosed I seem to match the criteria for dyscalculia to a T. Unfortunately, I have not been taken seriously in the past due to doing well in other subjects such as English.

Both of my parents are the type to organise things in a systematic way. They are problem solvers. Planners. My dad alongside being good at maths is also a creative type. He enjoys science, philosophy and art. One day he might be obsessing over a theory regarding quantum physics, the next he's creating a painting or inventing something. He never seems to do anything halfheartedly, so it's not uncommon in my house to jokingly ask what his latest obsession is. I do wonder about him sometimes. He's a bit of a loner and a little socially awkward. People who don't know him tend to think he's unfriendly or unapproachable, but he's actually an incredibly open person once you get to know him.

My parents are both a bit unusual. They don't seem to understand what acceptable small talk is. My mother can be rather literal-minded and bluntly honest to a fault, but she still manages to maintain a large friendship group and is somewhat extroverted. Whereas my dad is more introverted in nature and focused on his interests (which he can talk about for a long time, so I only ask about them if I have time to spare. :D)

As for me, I would consider myself to be a creative person. When I was younger I was put into school counselling. At the time they didn't fully explain why I was there, they told me that it would "help me to think inside the box". I often wondered why they wanted this, and what exactly they were trying to achieve. Until I realised what the issue was. I had a tendency to assume that others automatically followed my line of thinking, that the connections I made were inherently obvious to everyone else. They weren't. Once I realised this, and I started to explain how I got from point A to point B people realised that there was actually a reasonable thought process behind my connections, and I wasn't just stating unrelated things for the sake of it.

Sometimes teachers would get annoyed at me whenever we would do thought exercises. I would offer them solutions that were technically plausible, but they didn't fit into the mark scheme. They were so off the grid that their answer book didn't cover what to do with my answers. So, it wasn't wrong per say...but it wasn't right either. The counselling I went through wasn't helpful. My counsellor never tried to understand me, in fact she ended up giving up on me and just spoon feeding me what answers to write in order to be correct. Or at least, correct in the sense of that's what her book of answers wanted from students. I tried to explain my reasoning and I'd ask why my answers weren't acceptable, but she didn't want to hear it. Kept asking me why I couldn't just be normal. She was a terrible counsellor.

Daydreamer
That is pretty bad, but l laughed that she fed you the amswers. It's amazing what they shove down our throats as kids.

I am fairly creative, love music/band (at least back in high school), have dabled in making music, cinematography, 3D modeling, website design, photo editing and more. I have noticed I never get really good at any one skill but get into it enough to understand it fairly well. I am also pretty smart when it comes to math and physical sciences, thus why I have one more semester until I graduate with a BS in mechanical engineering. I have always been able to easily understand math and physical design and such, almost to the point of not ever studying for some of these subjects. I am diagnosed with Asperger's so I have no idea how much that contributes to this. I am pretty sub par when it comes to writting/reading. I can do it but it is slow. on the forum I migrated from just this last week, I explained how my reading and writting proccesed in my head and I realized I have a long round about way to get from the meaning in my head to the letters on a page or vice versa. I wouldn't say its dyslexia but maybe very slight. I always mix up the letters p q b and d in handwritting. My dad is also a mechanical engineer but even he has said I am probably going to out do him pretty quick once I am in the job world and out of college. he doesn't have any ASD. my mom also doesn't have any ASD and is a pharmacist. so that probably explains why I am great in math and sciences.

I've always struggled with math. There are other things that show if a person is intelligent. As a child I read a lot and was a good reader for my age. I was reading the books that my brother, who was 2-3 grades ahead of me, brought home from school.

When I was a teenager, deep down I was afraid that I wouldn't be able to live on my own because I couldn't figure out things like taxes and rent money and shopping bills.(Why do they not include the taxes on the price tags, anyway? Grrr.) It's like, people think you automatically know how to live on your own the second you turn 18 so they don't teach you anything except maybe basic life skills such as cooking or cleaning, and if you don't have enough money to get a decent bed for your apartment, whatever just sleep on the floor because that's what everyone else does. At least that's what I was told.

For years I've worried that people will think I had everything I have now handed to me on a proverbial silver platter like a "typical millennial". They don't know me at all.:(

When I was a teenager, deep down I was afraid that I wouldn't be able to live on my own because I couldn't figure out things like taxes and rent money and shopping bills.(Why do they not include the taxes on the price tags, anyway? Grrr.) It's like, people think you automatically know how to live on your own the second you turn 18 so they don't teach you anything except maybe basic life skills such as cooking or cleaning, and if you don't have enough money to get a decent bed for your apartment, whatever just sleep on the floor because that's what everyone else does. At least that's what I was told.

For years I've worried that people will think I had everything I have now handed to me on a proverbial silver platter like a "typical millennial". They don't know me at all.:(
That's exactly how I feel. I'm totally screwed after highschool.

Extreme cognitive styles map onto genius that autism is. And psychotic spectrum disorders such as bipolar, schizotypy, schizophrenia are disproportionately disgnosed in highly creative individuals.
The genius-madness debate is asking whether creative individuals are at a greater risk for developing mental illness then their noncreative peers.
A professor at UCLA dubs the Mad Genius Paradox as extraordinary creative individuals are more likely to exhibit psychopathology.
High productivity is associated with both intelligence and with high creativity, whether a schizotypal or autistic nature.
The normal process of demyelinatiin that begins in mid-forties leads to a weakening of executive networks that are neuroprotective. Myelin function impacts processing speed, so a highly intelligent person has a propensity to mental illness and may experince symptoms in this age range.Nash and Newton were both autistic and schizophrenic, proving that true genius represents an overdevopment of both.
What are your opinions?

I hope this is not true. I am a math whiz and have high intelligence and creativity. My mother developed Schizophrenia and was institutionalized later in life.

I hope this is not true. I am a math whiz and have high intelligence and creativity. My mother developed Schizophrenia and was institutionalized later in life.

Think if both parents are high in certain areas of this. You didn't say anything about your father so don't worry. Hope you were able to process and move on, sorry this happened to her.

If you don't join a cult or start pontificating biblical quotes in your fifties, or move to a one person cabin in Siberia, don't stress. Just enjoy the holidays, that really brings out the twisted people.

The more we worry about ourself, the more we ride along in the what if scenario, l live in the here and now scenario, it less complicated.

Last edited:
Think if both parents are high in certain areas of this. You didn't say anything about your father so don't worry.

If you don't join a cult or start pontificating biblical quotes in your fifties, or move to a one person cabin in Siberia, don't stress. Just enjoy the holidays, that really brings out the twisted people.

This is a little embarrassing. My parents were cousins and had some of the same ancestors, from my paternal line. They did not realize they were cousins. At any rate I have a number of homozygous gene mutations (inherited from both parents), and some of these (e.g. MTR, MTRR, and COMT) are associated with ADHD, Bipolar, Schizophrenia, and Autism. I have discussed these genetic predispositons with doctors, but they are not helpful. One of my obsessions, however, is studying genetic research and how gene mutations affect metabolism and nutritional needs. So hopefully I am doing things to reduce my health risks.

My father left when I was four, but I was told that he had problems relating to his siblings and mother and other people growing up. His mother (my grandmother) gave him away when he was a year old, much as one might give a puppy away. Later when he was 16, his mother claimed him, and he was screwed up his entire life. He really did not know who he was. One story I heard was that when he and his brothers would go hunting he would get so anxious that he would forget to bring his hunting rifle or shotgun, and not realize it until they were in the woods and starting the hunt. I looked him up when I was 39, but never could make an emotional connection with him.

Last edited:
Maybe you can find better doctors. l wouldn't stress because you are doing everything possible, and we have so much available info these days that didn't exist before. Plus you are successful now and a lot of these people aren't able to get to that point and have a relationship. Wishing you the best for holidays and don't stress about yourself, that is the best gift you can give yourself.

I just came through a scary situtation with a friend who was very close to a mental breakdown, (her mother is challenged). She was losing her eye sight, she had a huge tumor that had been growing in her body for years. She presented herself at a psych unit she was so desperate. I talked to her everyday. She finally had unknown tumor removed, came back mentally clear. Our bodies are amazing and we can heal. :)

Think if both parents are high in certain areas of this. You didn't say anything about your father so don't worry. Hope you were able to process and move on, sorry this happened to her.

The more we worry about ourself, the more we ride along in the what if scenario, l live in the here and now scenario, it less complicated.

By the way, I want you to know I am fine discussing family on here. It is good for me to discuss, and you and others get to know my background. When I was a teen I was very self conscious, and I basically shut everyone out.

Thank you for allowing us to support you. It's great that forums exist and allow us to discuss what is important. I was extremely self conscious also as a teenager. Everything felt magnified by 100x. l went thru a bashful stage but my teachers pulled me out of it to some extent. Think the teachers back then knew that kids were dealing with parental issues and they just tried to be supportive. We are community here, and we all belong thanks to tree and nitro and all the other good folks here.

Extreme cognitive styles map onto genius that autism is. And psychotic spectrum disorders such as bipolar, schizotypy, schizophrenia are disproportionately disgnosed in highly creative individuals.
The genius-madness debate is asking whether creative individuals are at a greater risk for developing mental illness then their noncreative peers.
A professor at UCLA dubs the Mad Genius Paradox as extraordinary creative individuals are more likely to exhibit psychopathology.
High productivity is associated with both intelligence and with high creativity, whether a schizotypal or autistic nature.
The normal process of demyelinatiin that begins in mid-forties leads to a weakening of executive networks that are neuroprotective. Myelin function impacts processing speed, so a highly intelligent person has a propensity to mental illness and may experince symptoms in this age range.Nash and Newton were both autistic and schizophrenic, proving that true genius represents an overdevopment of both.
What are your opinions?

After some further thought on the subject, I think there.could.be an association between creativity and mental illness. However, the association is not necessarily related to mathematical ability, in my opinion. For example Vincent Van Gogh and Edgar Allan Poe had their own mental issues. I do, however, find John Nash's life very interesting and tragic considering his struggles.

Last edited:
Exactly, l totally agree, extreme creativity is a masquerade for mental illiness? Who knows. But l feel my life experiences have really help develop my creative side.

..., extreme creativity is a masquerade for mental illiness? Who knows.
Creativity can be an attempt to "suiform" one's world. "Suiform" or "idiomorph" would mean to (attempt to) make one's surroundings conform to their expectations. I based it on the word "terraform."

Last edited:
l have great days and sometimes not so great days but if l am determined to learn something - l will learn it , even math. l heard woman are supposedly not so great at spatial logic problems so l do Sticky Blocks , a app that you move around the square until you move it off the board by positioning it on a shaded square. I find after cardio, l can solve several problems fast, so exercise is a key in preventing cognitive decline as you age. The app is free if anyone is interested, l can get fixated on solving all the problems in a OCD way though. lol

I don't count autism as a mental illness since that's a brain function or neurotype. But I have depression, anxiety, and OCD as well as anger issues. But I'm not good at anything. Anything I do, everyone can do better, and I thought I was ok at math, but I'm not good at chemistry, and that's math, so..

New Threads

Top Bottom