• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Are allergies killing anyone else?

I'm sorry you are really suffering with allergies @DaisyRose :(

Antihistamines sometimes help me, but you have to be careful as some can make you drowsy and cause a dry mouth. Some brands are better than others for dealing with specific reactions to different pollens, so you might have to try different meds before you find the one that works best.

In the UK we've had a pretty damp start to spring which while not pleasant, has the effect of knocking all the pollen out of the air.

I do get allergies this time of year, but sometimes I seem to be immune for a year. Then I feel like someone poured hot sauce down my nose the next spring and I can't stop sneezing and my eyes get very itchy. If it's really bad I will get lots of migraines and feel like I've got flu.

Having thought about it though, I did have a sneezing fit about an hour ago that went on for half an hour so maybe this won't be one of the years I'm not affected.

I've been told that the worst thing for hay fever/allergies is fresh mowed grass. If people are mowing their lawns it might be a good idea to wait a good while before you head outside.

I had horrible allergies over summer, but eventually I got on to some anti histamines that work (my summer was your winter, as I live in the Southern Hemisphere).

Usually the pollen doesn't bother me, but this year it did.
The oak pollen here in Florida was so bad everything was covered in greenish yellow dust. I have dry eye syndrome and it got so bad the doctor thought I had conjunctivitis. I was using various prescription and non-prescriptive eye drops and nothing helped.
It's just now getting a little better, so is the pollen.

I have got an allergy to dust mites. I went through all the tests several few years ago. It kind of like confused me how I could be getting symptoms all year round for a long time. I also respond to other allergens but just don't have them at a diagnosable level. My symptoms happen to me in all different environments. When I was getting my files together for an autism diagnosis I came across reports dating back to 2 about dust mites on my files

Last edited:
I have had major problems due to histamine poisoning.
No doctor could work out what was wrong.
I had to work it out by myself.
It only took 60 odd years. 🤣
I wonder what damage has been done as a result. :eek:

I had fairly severe hay fever many years. I moved to the country, and the first year, I couldn't walk around my house (tall grass on two sides) without putting on a respirator and washing right after. The next year, before the season started, I took up the local custom of celebrating spring by eating the first green thing, in this case, Nettles. Then, I waited for the hay fever and it didn't happen. Experimenting, I found that the easiest way to prepare them was by adding them to veggies for supper, or just making tea. I could eat or drink it every day for five days and still have bad hay fever, but between the sixth and seventh days, all symptoms would vanish. After that, three servings a week were sufficient.

New Threads

Top Bottom