• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Appearing on a TV game show

Jeopardy I could do. Anything else, nope. I hate cameras of any sort be it still or video.

Having a distant memory (1965) of being in the audience of a minor tv game show (The Rebus Game) was more than enough.

The very idea makes me feel like I need a crucifix and a big pile of garlic.

That doesnt even make sense.

Having done stage musicals (incl. solos) and proctored tests for the 2010 census, I could do Jeopardy!.

My two weaknesses would be
  1. I only get about 85% right &
  2. I would likely be slow on the buzzer.

Years ago I had to make a speech in a room with 500 people and tv cameras. And it was as exciting and pleasant as stepping on a rusty nail over and over. I was drunk so that helped a little. I have no good explanation for it but I do not like cameras. Maybe they steal a piece of my soul. :fearscream: I don't know, it's so unpleasant to have cameras pointing at me. I would not want to be on tv, unless there were big prizes I could win. Then I would force myself to do it. But I would look like I was stepping on a nail the entire time.

Last edited:
You know how pride comes before a fall? That would be me, prime example of it! I used to watch this quiz show that was on UK TV, I forget what it was called. It had this kinda "head mistress" woman on it who would taunt the contestants for not being able to solve what we're essentially puzzles.

I used to watch it with my girlfriend and I would basically solve just about every puzzle before most of the contestants. She would often say I should go on the show as I was "really good".

But if I did, I know it's a different kettle of fish. I would get that locked up brain freeze as soon as I have people (particularly people I don't know) watching me. I would likely thoroughly embarrass myself.

I could probably forget how to walk if enough people focused their attention on me! Lol!

So that sums up how I would feel about it.

I cant think of anything worse.

I once decided to do a competition in one of my cosplays, and that was pretty nervous for that — although I did place so that was nice But I have realized that it is too much and I would never enter a competition again. It is not worth the stress.

Years ago I had to make a speech in a room with 500 people and tv cameras. And it was as exciting and pleasant as stepping on a rusty nail over and over. I was drunk so that helped a little. I have no good explanation for it but I do not like cameras. Maybe they steal a piece of my soul. :fearscream: I don't know, it's so unpleasant to have cameras pointing at me. I would not want to be on tv, unless there were big prizes I could win. Then I would force myself to do it. But I would look like I was stepping on a nail the entire time.
At least you did it! It’s really funny because back at university, I had to give a presentation for my assignment. The presentation I had to do to get a grade. Needless to say, I wish I had been drunk as that may have made it much easier to get through but I ended up becoming this weird anxious sobbing mess and rushed through it before running to the bathroom to break down. So embarrassing. However, for my job I have to do a lot of presentations, and I guess the practice of it overtime has made me not anxious at all. I mean, dealing with scary teenagers should be frightening, and I am not even drunk when i do my classes. =D.

I once decided to do a competition in one of my cosplays

Ah yes, I've done something like this. Getting up on stage at one of the really huge conventions... did it a few times. One particularly notable time involved the place with the stage being totally separate from the hotel I was at, so I got to walk down some street or other in full costume first.

And then, on stage. My memories of it are a bit fritzy.

Now granted, at the time I was like totally blasted on caffeine, and also had gotten used to random people taking my photo all the time when I was wandering around, so... a little less nervous about it. But there's no way in heck I'd do it now.

It's not the strangest thing I've done while cosplaying but it's up there.

At least you did it! It’s really funny because back at university, I had to give a presentation for my assignment. The presentation I had to do to get a grade. Needless to say, I wish I had been drunk as that may have made it much easier to get through but I ended up becoming this weird anxious sobbing mess and rushed through it before running to the bathroom to break down. So embarrassing. However, for my job I have to do a lot of presentations, and I guess the practice of it overtime has made me not anxious at all. I mean, dealing with scary teenagers should be frightening, and I am not even drunk when i do my classes. =D.

Dealing with a room full of teenagers is very impressive. The closest I have come is teaching groups of kids to ski and that was hard enough. I'm not sure I could deal with a room full of them. :fearscream:

Ah yes, I've done something like this. Getting up on stage at one of the really huge conventions... did it a few times. One particularly notable time involved the place with the stage being totally separate from the hotel I was at, so I got to walk down some street or other in full costume first.

And then, on stage. My memories of it are a bit fritzy.

Now granted, at the time I was like totally blasted on caffeine, and also had gotten used to random people taking my photo all the time when I was wandering around, so... a little less nervous about it. But there's no way in heck I'd do it now.

It's not the strangest thing I've done while cosplaying but it's up there.
I entered the competition without really knowing what to do with myself. I was Jane Foster’s Thor from the comics and once getting up on to the stage I froze, didn’t really know what to do so just raised the hammer Before Walking off. It’s a bit strange that outside of the convention I’ll have interactions with the general public which varies…. But I am less nervous around them whilst in costume than getting up on stage in Front of others OR as my own goblin self. Same for photos, although I really need to learn not to have a glazed dead eye face during them. I’m not so great with facial expressions between the simple ones.

I think that sometimes the strange things you do in cosplay are the best memories. Recent con I went to, I had one beer and became a bit tipsy quite quickly but (i was in character!) it was such a fun experience although I have no idea what i did except discover that i had no balance fighting on one of those inflatable fighting arenas. =D

Dealing with a room full of teenagers is very impressive. The closest I have come is teaching groups of kids to ski and that was hard enough. I'm not sure I could deal with a room full of them. :fearscream:
I rule with an iron fist.=)

It’s a skill I’ve picked up over time. In the very beginng I did find it challenging but I think it helps that I am also being me, whilst putting a “costume on” (blazer) and just going for it. Kids are a lot more easier to deal with than adults. I find that is where I have the most problems. And as a plus, working with teenagers helps me to not be this weird scared person around them like I was in my early 20s or even as a teenager myself. Now I just laugh at them.=D

It’s the younger ones that I don’t deal with — I always find them to be a lot more difficult to manage although again, it’s not impossible but there is quite a lot more there. Teenagers you can reason with, little ones its not really possible because they Don’t really understand. But to mine At the moment and in the past, I think I come across as the eccentric but nice teacher, so that’s good. It helps that I teach a subject that allows my crazy ideas to be linked up.=P.

I entered the competition without really knowing what to do with myself. I was Jane Foster’s Thor from the comics and once getting up on to the stage I froze, didn’t really know what to do so just raised the hammer Before Walking off. It’s a bit strange that outside of the convention I’ll have interactions with the general public which varies…. But I am less nervous around them whilst in costume than getting up on stage in Front of others OR as my own goblin self. Same for photos, although I really need to learn not to have a glazed dead eye face during them. I’m not so great with facial expressions between the simple ones.

I think that sometimes the strange things you do in cosplay are the best memories. Recent con I went to, I had one beer and became a bit tipsy quite quickly but (i was in character!) it was such a fun experience although I have no idea what i did except discover that i had no balance fighting on one of those inflatable fighting arenas. =D

Oh yeah, the funky stuff while cosplaying is very memorable.

I remember one time, me and a friend were walking through some big vendor area or something (because OF COURSE this sort of thing happens when he's there to witness it), and this big huge guy walks up, and wants a photo.

But not just any photo, nope. What he wanted was, well... do you know what a "princess carry" is? Yeah, he wanted to pick me up and do that, and get a photo of him doing that. Which might sound random and nonsensical but for the character I was doing... yeah I knew why. I absolutely knew why.

I'm polite and generally passive with a tendency to just go along with whatever, and also again I was full of caffeine, so I let him do that. The idea of lifting and holding someone sounds crazy hard to me, so I'm thinking... can he do this without dropping me? But he didnt drop me, so that worked out. Except of course for the part where my friend watched the whole thing (he was the one taking the photo).

There was another time where I walked into a Walgreens in full costume. I needed a thing and was too lazy to go back and change first.

Or that other time when I ended up in the back of someone's pickup truck. It made sense at the time.

Certainly not the only odd things, there's so many stories I could tell.

But not just any photo, nope. What he wanted was, well... do you know what a "princess carry" is? Yeah, he wanted to pick me up and do that, and get a photo of him doing that. Which might sound random and nonsensical but for the character I was doing... yeah I knew why. I absolutely knew why.
I have heard that in the US cons the idea of what is acceptable behavior and what is not is often quite blurred. Although, here it can also happen. I once had someone approach me when I was Yennefer from the Witcher, and ask for a hug for his cosplay bingo card. I said no. I hope he didn’t complete his card.
There was another time where I walked into a Walgreens in full costume.
I’ve done that, when walking in the train station. There is a con quite local to me, so I have travelled there by train and tram in full costume. Then get food outside the venue. I now just say it is for Fasnacht and often i am left alone. Fun part was when I was Thor and went to Starbucks, had quite a lot of adult men yell out “THOR THOR THOR”.
Or that other time when I ended up in the back of someone's pickup truck. It made sense at the time.
Ok, that sounds like a story…

I have heard that in the US cons the idea of what is acceptable behavior and what is not is often quite blurred. Although, here it can also happen. I once had someone approach me when I was Yennefer from the Witcher, and ask for a hug for his cosplay bingo card. I said no.
my opinion is that someone has to ask and "no means no" - neither if you wear a cosplay or not, someone can not just hug or carry you.

I hope he didn’t complete his card.
:tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

I was once on an anime convention (not weared a cosplay and never weared one). there are lot of people with "free hug" shields.

I once started a conversation with "can I have a hug?" - it worked. I got hugs and the conversation started :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

my opinion is that someone has to ask and "no means no" - neither if you wear a cosplay or not, someone can not just hug or carry you.

:tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

I was once on an anime convention (not weared a cosplay and never weared one). there are lot of people with "free hug" shields.

I once started a conversation with "can I have a hug?" - it worked. I got hugs and the conversation started :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:
Genau! Exactly! I have always cosplayed at a con, so I have never been in “casual“. It is very annoying when someone does not understand that. Especially when they are people wearing those animal jumpsuits, so they smell terrible too when they do hug.

Yes, the free hug signs are hilarious. I avoid them but sometimes it is difficult if they just decide to reach out for one. I am glad that you ask if its okay to hug — I dont like hugs anyway but having them forced is not great….

There are good experiences at cons too. =) But I will never get up to do a competition again. I think that for some people it is what they aim for, but for me it is too much and I feel like it takes the fun out of the hobby. I’d rather walk the con floor.

New Threads

Top Bottom