• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Anyone want to team up and build something?

Sid Delicious

Balloon animal safety control
* Discord server for anyone who wants to help with the game, learn coding/design/other, or just cheer us on: Discord - Free voice and text chat for gamers

Just out of curiosity, who else here works in some sort of IT/tech role (or does it as a hobby or student or wants to learn for the LOLs)?

I haz idea! :D

I'm thinking of setting up an open source project to create a completely virtual environment/game with schools, museums/libraries, offices, shops, etc for everyone who struggles with finding/keeping work due to the social aspects (or simply struggles to find work without insane commuting distances). Like a VR version of Second Life and Ebay combined; shops/offices that traders can actually link to real businesses, schools where you can access interactive lessons/workshops, with additional areas that can be rented short term for events. Although accessible by non-VR players too.

On the business side: I attend SME networking events fairly regularly and constantly hear employers complain about the cost of running a physical office, and as an employee my biggest problem while job hunting was not having the time/money to travel to an office every day, not being able to constantly move home for each job (since the jobs generally aren't where the affordable housing is), then having to sit in open plan, noisy, hyper-social offices while trying to focus on work. VR seems to be massively underutilised in that sense. I know from past HR experience that a lot of potential candidates never apply for jobs that employers struggle to fill due to physical distance.

On the education side: I have a lot of ties to the academic world, so I want at least one virtual school within this environment with online courses, classes, lectures (I know a lot of educators who would donate time/resources to creating these bits). As well as virtual apprenticeships, since there is a huge skills drain in a lot of places and (for example) a 16 year old kid from a poor family living in a remote coastal village is cut off from physically doing an apprenticeship somewhere like London (which, for anyone who hasn't been there, is insanely expensive to live in even for those on good salaries, but is where the huge companies are generally based in the UK). It seems like it would help to level the playing field in that sense. It would also be very easy to 'gamify' the whole experience to give students more incentive to study. For example, you put the school in a fantasy setting within an RPG style environment, then reward them with points/whatever that they need to access the more recreational parts of the game.

Most importantly, VR (for me, anyway) feels far less socially invasive. You are 'there', but not there. You can turn the sound up/down at will or turn it off entirely if there is too much going on. There is far more control over the environment, while still being social (if you want to be). It also feels a bit like wearing a mask, so you don't feel you are on show as much as you would in real life. I recently helped out with a VR event at a local school and we had kids standing up giving mini speeches to their classmates who would normally have found that terrifying.

In addition, at a later stage I want to have places/events in the game linked to charities - for example, you could have a virtual 'zoo' with interactive endangered/extinct animals (I've seen something like this done before on a small scale) with loads of educational material and a link to donate to WWF at the end. VR seems perfect for things like that.

Less people commuting to work is probably great for the trees as well! So we'd basically be saving the planet at the same time! :cool:

Once it's built, things like server costs (which would be the main running expense) can come out of renting in-game offices/shops/advertising to companies plus any donations random people want to make if they want to support it. Or I could merch the hell out of it! I could set up something like Patreon (which I think still displays earnings publicly?) and a linked website with info about it. Or something similar to the non-profit Linux set up if it gets bigger. Whatever people think is more transparent.

I'd love to keep this as an ongoing project that anyone can contribute to and then use as a platform in future. I also think it would be great to have something that anyone in the aspie community who struggles to find work/people to hang out with/hobbies can get involved with without any pressure. I know there are a LOT of un/underemployed clever people here who have a range of technical or other skills that aren't getting used due to various secondary barriers the mainstream economy puts in the way - all the things people have mentioned on this forum over and over again). You could contribute as much or as little towards this as you like and use that in your CV/portfolio/whatever, or just learn design/coding/other as you go. I'm also happy to collect a bunch of study resources for any total newbies who want to learn technical skills from scratch.

I'm going to be doing this myself as a hobby project anyway (at the very very least my other company will have a virtual office there, as will those my friends/family own, since overheads cost a bomb and you can have a bigger desk and AI bot servants in VR). A few friends/family have already said they want to help, so I've got a small team to outsource some of the work. But I'd very much welcome anyone else who wants to team up! This has been something I've thought about for years, so much of it is already planned out.

I'm going to begin with the 'starting area' and tutorial bit and then get busy building a VR London City (I'm beginning with a steampunk version of Threadneedle Street and Covent Garden with a test shop and underground market, then expanding from there). If anyone is interested in jumping on board, I've set up a Discord server and will create some sort of Wiki in the next few weeks. I'm building it in UE4 with Oculus Rift (and HTC Vive).

Edit: For those who've asked... no, you don't need programming experience to get involved. Development of big games is a huge project that requires a variety of skills (a bit like making a film). For example:

• Coding
  • Graphic design
  • Animation
  • 2D illustration
  • Sound/music creation
  • Voice over artists
  • Story boarding
  • A regular website to showcase the game
  • PR/marketing
  • Admins to run the Discord server if a few people get involved
  • Game writers (NPC dialogue, quest trees, lore, etc once I move onto the RPG game side)
  • Designing/creating resources in-game
  • Testers to play the game and tell me what does/doesn't work properly
  • Fundraising
  • Writing up non-VR educational resources (text based or videos on Youtube explaining how things work)
  • Managing the game Wiki
  • Mods to answer player questions
  • Cheerleaders - people hanging out just to keep everyone motivated (very important job)!

... and a bunch of other stuff I likely haven't considered yet.

And the bigger it gets, the more secondary work will be needed to organise all of the above like a military operation! I've followed several dev teams in the past that were made up of just programmers, and they all failed due to lacking all the other skills needed. So coding definitely isn't a requirement.

Last edited:
Sounds like a great idea! Wish I had skills that could help but unfortunately don't. However wish you success in this creative endeavor!!

All the best to you. I'm not skilled in that stuff unfortunately but I'm sure you'll find someone who is, good luck.

I'm currently in a messy flurry of job-search activities (that looks like it might resolve soon :fourleaf:) but I joined your channel and would like to stay updated on this. :)

Awesome! I'll be predominantly on the Discord server and website, but I'll post the odd screenshot here too for anyone who's curious.

So far it just looks like this (empty world)...

StartingOut.jpg

UE4 uses C++, but has Blueprint (which reads the same as assisted C++). I'm currently playing around with them to see if there are significant differences in performance for what I'm planning to do. I'll likely end up using both and saving pure C++ for the heavy lifting, as so far it isn't significant. The performance only really becomes an issue when I add a huge number of actors in one place or switch to mobile (neither of which I plan to do).

Bought some space for the start menu (this is a full 360 degree sphere, but I can't get VR to screen record without killing my pc, so the below is just a still image). The menu itself will be an overlaid constellation with clickable 'stars' that link to Continue Game, New Avatar, Settings, etc. When you look around, it's basically more of the same (dark with stars and cloudy bits).

StartMenuScreen.png

Last edited:
* Discord server for anyone who wants to help with the game, learn coding/design/other, or just cheer us on: Discord - Free voice and text chat for gamers

Just out of curiosity, who else here works in some sort of IT/tech role (or does it as a hobby or student or wants to learn for the LOLs)?

I haz idea! :D

I'm thinking of setting up an open source project to create a completely virtual environment/game with schools, museums/libraries, offices, shops, etc for everyone who struggles with finding/keeping work due to the social aspects (or simply struggles to find work without insane commuting distances). Like a VR version of Second Life and Ebay combined; shops/offices that traders can actually link to real businesses, schools where you can access interactive lessons/workshops, with additional areas that can be rented short term for events. Although accessible by non-VR players too.

On the business side: I attend SME networking events fairly regularly and constantly hear employers complain about the cost of running a physical office, and as an employee my biggest problem while job hunting was not having the time/money to travel to an office every day, not being able to constantly move home for each job (since the jobs generally aren't where the affordable housing is), then having to sit in open plan, noisy, hyper-social offices while trying to focus on work. VR seems to be massively underutilised in that sense. I know from past HR experience that a lot of potential candidates never apply for jobs that employers struggle to fill due to physical distance.

On the education side: I have a lot of ties to the academic world, so I want at least one virtual school within this environment with online courses, classes, lectures (I know a lot of educators who would donate time/resources to creating these bits). As well as virtual apprenticeships, since there is a huge skills drain in a lot of places and (for example) a 16 year old kid from a poor family living in a remote coastal village is cut off from physically doing an apprenticeship somewhere like London (which, for anyone who hasn't been there, is insanely expensive to live in even for those on good salaries, but is where the huge companies are generally based in the UK). It seems like it would help to level the playing field in that sense. It would also be very easy to 'gamify' the whole experience to give students more incentive to study. For example, you put the school in a fantasy setting within an RPG style environment, then reward them with points/whatever that they need to access the more recreational parts of the game.

Most importantly, VR (for me, anyway) feels far less socially invasive. You are 'there', but not there. You can turn the sound up/down at will or turn it off entirely if there is too much going on. There is far more control over the environment, while still being social (if you want to be). It also feels a bit like wearing a mask, so you don't feel you are on show as much as you would in real life. I recently helped out with a VR event at a local school and we had kids standing up giving mini speeches to their classmates who would normally have found that terrifying.

In addition, at a later stage I want to have places/events in the game linked to charities - for example, you could have a virtual 'zoo' with interactive endangered/extinct animals (I've seen something like this done before on a small scale) with loads of educational material and a link to donate to WWF at the end. VR seems perfect for things like that.

Less people commuting to work is probably great for the trees as well! So we'd basically be saving the planet at the same time! :cool:

Once it's built, things like server costs (which would be the main running expense) can come out of renting in-game offices/shops/advertising to companies plus any donations random people want to make if they want to support it. Or I could merch the hell out of it! I could set up something like Patreon (which I think still displays earnings publicly?) and a linked website with info about it. Or something similar to the non-profit Linux set up if it gets bigger. Whatever people think is more transparent.

I'd love to keep this as an ongoing project that anyone can contribute to and then use as a platform in future. I also think it would be great to have something that anyone in the aspie community who struggles to find work/people to hang out with/hobbies can get involved with without any pressure. I know there are a LOT of un/underemployed clever people here who have a range of technical or other skills that aren't getting used due to various secondary barriers the mainstream economy puts in the way - all the things people have mentioned on this forum over and over again). You could contribute as much or as little towards this as you like and use that in your CV/portfolio/whatever, or just learn design/coding/other as you go. I'm also happy to collect a bunch of study resources for any total newbies who want to learn technical skills from scratch.

I'm going to be doing this myself as a hobby project anyway (at the very very least my other company will have a virtual office there, as will those my friends/family own, since overheads cost a bomb and you can have a bigger desk and AI bot servants in VR). A few friends/family have already said they want to help, so I've got a small team to outsource some of the work. But I'd very much welcome anyone else who wants to team up! This has been something I've thought about for years, so much of it is already planned out.

I'm going to begin with the 'starting area' and tutorial bit and then get busy building a VR London City (I'm beginning with a steampunk version of Threadneedle Street and Covent Garden with a test shop and underground market, then expanding from there). If anyone is interested in jumping on board, I've set up a Discord server and will create some sort of Wiki in the next few weeks. I'm building it in UE4 with Oculus Rift (and HTC Vive).

Edit: For those who've asked... no, you don't need programming experience to get involved. Development of big games is a huge project that requires a variety of skills (a bit like making a film). For example:

• Coding
  • Graphic design
  • Animation
  • 2D illustration
  • Sound/music creation
  • Voice over artists
  • Story boarding
  • A regular website to showcase the game
  • PR/marketing
  • Admins to run the Discord server if a few people get involved
  • Game writers (NPC dialogue, quest trees, lore, etc once I move onto the RPG game side)
  • Designing/creating resources in-game
  • Testers to play the game and tell me what does/doesn't work properly
  • Fundraising
  • Writing up non-VR educational resources (text based or videos on Youtube explaining how things work)
  • Managing the game Wiki
  • Mods to answer player questions
  • Cheerleaders - people hanging out just to keep everyone motivated (very important job)!

... and a bunch of other stuff I likely haven't considered yet.

And the bigger it gets, the more secondary work will be needed to organise all of the above like a military operation! I've followed several dev teams in the past that were made up of just programmers, and they all failed due to lacking all the other skills needed. So coding definitely isn't a requirement.

If this is done, I want IN. I'm all for it, definitely. Please let us know if and when you make it. I have no knowledge in programming and stuff like that but I'm pretty sure I can do other stuff like the voice over artists, story boarding, testing, fundraising, writing up instructions, writing wiki and mod stuff. Your idea is impressive :D

Jump on the Discord server and you can see screenshots. I can then ping you when there's stuff to test/vlog/etc if you're still interested in getting involved! :)

This is still happening (focusing on the school part first, as that's a humongous task in itself). The main challenge we have right now (which we didn't really expect) is the sheer amount of work required up front to map out the entire world. We aren't building the entire thing in one go (focusing on just one area to begin with), but need to plan it all in advance to avoid issues later down the line.

So if anyone is any good at designing cities or other areas of environment, then please get in touch! And if anyone wants to learn the actual terrain modelling part (turning the 2D plans into actual environment), I'm more than happy to teach you.

Last edited:
Update: We are no longer using Discord, as most of the team members were using Slack already and I couldn't think of a good enough reason to refuse! But despite putting the project on hold during lockdown we have continued planning and building and now have about 5 core people working with us plus a few part-timers that jump in and out as needed.

The longterm goal is still VR. Although due to lack of funds and struggling to find VR specific developers, we are creating the 'demo' as a regular third person 3D game (although we'll recreate the sets in VR so people can explore and play around with those while we are building the full VR game). We have focused on the education side, as that is much 'easier' to do. We had several ex/teachers sit down and write out some of the core curriculum in quest chains (as if they were teaching their class in a fantasy world) and we are building the rest of the game around that. So basically gamified learning that doesn't feel like learning!

We are still (always) looking for extra people to join the team, as there is a LOT of work required to build a game this big without the money that an AAA studio has. So if anyone wants to help out with 2D art (icons, game maps, characters), designing levels (inside buildings/planning out villages/landscapes), 3D models, animating or Unreal (blueprint) development, then let me know. It doesn't matter if you are a total noob (most of us were when we started) or if you can only spare a couple of hours a week. It all helps.

Having an extra 'organiser' type person would also be great (keeping Trello cards and the wiki up to date, and occasionally posting updates/pictures on the website). There's also tons of random little tasks that take up time that we could spend on other things. For example, I spent 4 hours yesterday erasing the background of an image so it could be used as the base for an icon! Things like that require no real technical skill (the equivalent of colouring within the lines!) but would be amazing to hand over to another person so I can focus on code. :D

I'm also happy to teach people things like creating/exporting 3D models of human characters (there are programs that do most of the hard work for you and mostly require creative/design thought). Although if you want to learn more technical/indepth roles and build up a portfolio alongside what we are doing, then we will help as much as we can (and also give references to employers if you want to get a 9-to-5 career out of it).

New Threads

Top Bottom