• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Anyone overcome narcissism?

Are there anyone who got over narcissism in this forum? My parents are saying that I’m narcissistic and that I’m very wrapped up in myself all because I’m jealous of people in my neighborhood having an overwhelming a lot of privileges than me which makes me rigid and disrespectful to my parents. I’m very unpopular and get blocked by people I know a lot. I’m persevering over exploring the United States and going to Yeshiva in Israel which everyone in my neighborhood my age is coming back from already. I feel like I missed a lot of experiences. I annoyed people in camp by saying things over and over again and looked at other people’s medications in camp to see if someone’s on methylphenidate so I can get a support group and people were mad about these behaviors. I don’t want to be narcissistic. What do I do and how do I explore my dreams?
Do you know fully how narcissism presents as a disorder?Autism is distinctly different

The narcissistic man sees himself as perfect. Your parents are using a word they know, but look back on this thread, see a narc won't question if they are one. You are listing traits you have seen in yourself as less than ideal. Narcs dont do that, they cant.

How about a short list of character traits you would like to have and be known for?

Maybe they (the parents) are gaslighting you? Google gaslighting and narcissism and read about it.

I am gonna agree with everyone else here, it certainly doesn’t sound like your a narcissist at all - like they said, if so you wouldn’t be here asking. This is so true.

Are there anyone who got over narcissism in this forum? My parents are saying that I’m narcissistic and that I’m very wrapped up in myself all because I’m jealous of people in my neighborhood having an overwhelming a lot of privileges than me which makes me rigid and disrespectful to my parents. I’m very unpopular and get blocked by people I know a lot. I’m persevering over exploring the United States and going to Yeshiva in Israel which everyone in my neighborhood my age is coming back from already. I feel like I missed a lot of experiences. I annoyed people in camp by saying things over and over again and looked at other people’s medications in camp to see if someone’s on methylphenidate so I can get a support group and people were mad about these behaviors. I don’t want to be narcissistic. What do I do and how do I explore my dreams?

Somehow I really doubt that you are narcissistic - I think they are using that term to describe your aspie tendencies - self-absorption maybe, persevering, theory of mind issues, social skills issues. I think the "narcissistic" label can be unfairly critical, could even shame someone - when really, you are just dealing with issues that I'm sure a lot of people here deal with - myself, too. It has taken and takes so much hard work to try to seem better to other people. Maybe one thing you could do is try to learn more about social skills - that helped me be less offensive/annoying or whatever to others. Are exploring the US and going to Yeshiva in Israel examples of the experiences you have missed - and you are persevering over missing those experiences? Or do you mean you intend to do these things and you are persevering over doing them eventually? Just curious.

Big leap hear - that's how my mind works: I don't know if this would work out depending on how strictly you adhere to religious restrictions, but I have heard that Israel is the only country that allows special needs individuals to serve in the IDF, and it doesn't have to be combat related at all - I have heard of people teaching, working in underserved communities, etc. It seems to be a positive experience for these individuals - and maybe a way to get pulled out of self-absorption. Maybe not that specific idea of joining the IDF, lol! - but maybe you could get involved in something somewhere that is more about teamwork, or where your duties serve others.

New Threads

Top Bottom