• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Anyone interested in survival?

Oh Ok. I understand now. Yeah I can see how those can be expensive. With the recent flooding in Houston, I've stepped up my stuff. In my kit as I'm calling it as I'm not sure it's counts as a bug out bag. I've put in
-an old baseball style cap
-a heavy fleece beanie
-a spare pair of eyeglasses (in a hard sided case)
-two pairs of old hiking socks
-my old running shoes
-a cold weather jacket(that sheds water)
-a Petzl headlamp
-a NOAA weather radio
-some 550 cord
- two bic lighters
-a ferro rod
-some matches (proper British lifeboat matches)
-a first aid kit
-my spare leatherman
-an MRE (from my time as a wildland firefighter)
-two army style canteens with metal cups
-a spork
- some water disinfection tablets
-charging cable for my iphone with 110 and 12 volt(like a car charger) plugs
-my fixed blade knife

It all fits in a Jansport backpack. there are a few more things I'd like to add but that's most of it.

I've not bought the bivy cover yet, just the sack for the sleeping bag. Oddly, the bivy covers are rather pricey for a new one. I did find one that is Goretex (or so they say) that I will order next payday. That will complete my shelter and sleeping accomodations.

As for the bag I just purchased, though it's not digital, it is woodland like the new pack. It also has the molle straps, so it will strap onto the pack without any trouble. What I really like is it's waterproof and new. A lot of the military stuff is surplus, so you never know what condition it is in until it arrives.

I've order some spare batteries, for my radio and headlight they happen to use the kind. I'm also going to add some road flares, a few chem-lights, a few notepads and I few pencils. when I put this kit together I wasn't really thinking about major events. I fiqured this would be something I could keep in my truck incase I get stranded on the side of the road, something of that nature.

Sounds like you've got a good assortment. In fact, you have a lot of the same things that I do. That's an excellent idea about an extra pair of glasses; I've made a mental note to do the same. Not long ago I added one of those "spork" things to my last ditch bag. It occurred to me that I didn't have any type of utensil and I didn't want to go caveman and eat with my fingers, so I found a nifty one at Walmart. It's not very large and can serve a few purposes.

I was talking with a coworker today about my survival kit. I told him that I enjoy putting it together, but even he agreed that in this day and age it's more of a necessity than not. I feel a little more comfortable now that I have shelter and a sleeping bag. With what I have, I could throw it in the Crown Vic and flee. However, I am shopping for a good pre-owned Ford Explorer. I want something a little more rugged with better ground clearance, which the Crown Vic lacks. It can go 130 MPH, but not cross country.

I still think I'm going set up my ALICE pack with more long term supplies

Ah, I didn't think about road flares. They come in handy for different things other than a warning beacon. I might add a couple. I'm definitely going to get some chem-lights, if for no other reason than Rambo used them.:D

Seriously, they can be quite handy and don't weigh much or take up a lot of room. The kit I'm putting together is a total SHTF get out of Dodge with what I can carry kit. I'll keep it handy, though I won't keep it in the car all the time. A black vehicle in this Alabama heat can wreak all sorts of havoc with some of the stuff I'd be carrying. Still, it would be close and handy if the power plant melts down, there's an F-5 headed this way, major civil unrest (major=something I can't handle), government takeover, etc. The entire purpose is to keep me alive so I can get from here to my buddy's place in Tennessee. After that, I can set up a personal base and thrive more than survive.

your right. I'm in houston right now rounding up cattle that got loose. this morning myself and a few other guy were rounding up cattle through downtown houston on horseback. I didn't know cows could float.
:p:rolleyes::D

QUOTE="Sportster, post: 423311, member: 1842"]Sounds like a good plan. In this day and age it never hurts to be a "little extra prepared."[/QUOTE]

I installed a safe inside the cabin of my Ford ranger, behind the front seats. It is bolted down to three different points of contact to the frame. it is big enough for two long guns, with enough room to place multiple handguns and other valubles.

the main reason I installed the safe wasn't so much for the event of needing to bug out, rather since Kelly and I are beginning to travel more and more. eventually I'm either going to add a truck cap of the bed or a headache rack. I've been pondering ways I could set my up Ranger sense I've been traveling more for work, so I'd like to set my truck up for long road trips.

Cool!!! That's an option in the new Ford trucks. If/when I get an Explorer, I will probably come up with a similar idea. I'd feel safer having a secure compartment to keep "things" in the event I have to bug out.

I think I have decided on a bug-out vehicle. All I need to do is find one for a reasonable price and in "decent" shape. I'm looking for an early model Ford Explorer, as those were still built on a truck chassis. The following videos are quite intriguing, as I didn't realize how much room they offered, nor what could be done with that room:

I think the Ford Explorer is a good choice, good size, sturdy and dependable, plenty of room and it's a Ford.☺️

Now that I think about it, I believe that the second generation Ford Explorers share the 126 inch wheelbase with the Ford ranger. Some of the new ford Explorers are set up different the are front wheel drive/all wheel drive, they set a little lower to the ground.

In a way I guess they are kind of 'soccer mom' vehicle, I guess ford is trying to diversify their products. from what I've been told it kind of seemed that in the 90's and early 00's that auto maker especially domestic companies had lot's of what was basically the same kind of general types vehicles. I'd bet that why ford stopped producing the ford ranger and redesigned the explorer among other things.

I've not had much experience with them, but the folks I've talked to about them say they're great. From what I've seen, they look just right for a bug-out vehicle. However, I need to find an older one that was built on the truck frame. The newer ones are supposedly not as heavy duty and are more of a "soccer mom" vehicle.

2010's does seem about right for when they began change. I'm happy with my ranger, it's a great little truck driving around town. Now my old chevy K2500 is great too, but driving and parking in town is a bit of a hassle. the chevy has an huge amount of torque and horsepower but at the cost of gas mileage, so it's not really ideal putter around town kind of vehicle.

QUOTE="Sportster, post: 426681, member: 1842"]I wish I had kept my Aerostar even though it was developing some electrical issues, because it was built on the Ranger frame. It had a V-6, was roomy, and durable. It would have made a good bug-out vehicle.

As for the Explorer, if my research was correct things changed in 2010. I'd like to find a mid to late 90's version. I think one could be had for cheap, plus they're beefy looking. I'd prefer a V-8, but a V-6 would do as long as it runs okay. All it has to do is get me out of the city and make it forty miles to my buddy's farm:

View attachment 37864[/QUOTE]

I think that the '06 explorer would have the V8 that your crown vic has in it.

I might have a line on a 2006 Explorer with a V-8 for $6200. It's black and fully loaded. In a way it's almost too nice for a bug-out vehicle, but that's okay. One should have some comfort when fleeing zombies.:rolleyes:

I wouldn't mind a K2500 or F-250. The beauty of something that size and power is it could push stalled vehicles out of the way with a push bar.[/QUOTE]

depending on how much weight your trying to pull swapping out the final drive may not be required.
That's what I was thinking. It would be easy to find the right parts if I wanted to increase performance. The only major modification I would consider would be a lower gear ratio to increase pulling or pushing power. The Crown Vic has a 3:55, so something like a 3:73 would be just about right. Everything else would be bolt-on.[/QUOTE]

that's kind of strange I would have fiqured that the crown vic would have had a higher final than most trucks.

If the Explorer is like most trucks, it probably comes standard with a 3:31 gear. That is okay, but I'm looking at going up hills, over rough terrain, pushing things out of the way, etc. In those cases, a 3:31 ratio probably wouldn't be stout enough. Guys I know that run a 3:73 say that's a good compromise between a road gear and a performance gear like a 4:11 or 4:30. Either would be good if I wanted to pull down a redwood, but definitely not practical for a street application.[/QUOTE]

I guess I was a born survivalist. I live in the boonies. I have always had to make my trips to the city count because its a 200 mile + round trip. My worry is that if anything ever went wrong in the city is that all those spoiled uninformed people would come to places like here... I know it would be a total nightmare because they come here hunting every fall... They are already starting to show up... ug.

They get all dressed up in their camo and have all this gear... I laugh sometimes. I have never needed any of that stuff... They watch too much tv. : )

I've order some spare batteries, for my radio and headlight they happen to use the kind. I'm also going to add some road flares, a few chem-lights, a few notepads and I few pencils. when I put this kit together I wasn't really thinking about major events. I fiqured this would be something I could keep in my truck incase I get stranded on the side of the road, something of that nature.

I recently went all LED with all my flashlights and lanterns because the batteries last really long and no heat or worry over starting an accidental fire. 2 of my lanterns are 12v recharge from automotive port. My new flashlight recharges with my iPhone charger and its insane bright. with a slide out LED bar and a magnet to make it a work light also.

I noticed you guys were discussing cars/trucks. I love most anything with wheels but in a practical context I have to have vehicles that work hard, haul heavy loads, pull big trailers and carry people. My gramps was a rancher. He always had a ranch truck, but a Suburban sitting in the garage. I guess he had about every model Chevrolet made until he passed away. I still have his last one and its a beast but getting tired.
Its a 1998 with 7.4 (454 cid) 3/4 ton 4x4. It didn't have many miles on it when he passed and left it too me. It now has like 287k. Here is a current pic of it... Its dirty from all the rain.

IMG_0168.JPG

I purchased another 3/4 ton Suburban but actually hit a deer with it the day I bought it... I didn't even have the insurance transferred to it yet. Made me sort of sick. Its an 08 3/4 ton 4x4. I have been working in it and should be wrapping it all up in about a month. I decided to go ahead and fix everything and upgrade it all over so its been a project now for about 2 years.
IMG_0198.JPG IMG_0183.JPG
IMG_0180.JPG Mia thinks I am insane!!!! : )

That 454 has enough power to pull down a house.

I like all makes, there is something I like in all of them, but I always go back to GM. I had a Ford Raptor (its in my media pics) but that truck got like 7mpg around here and 9-11 on the road. I usually slam around 70,000 miles a year. So I try and spread that out in a few vehicles. I have 2017 GMC All Terrain for my road truck right now. Its a 6.2 and rocks down the road like a rocket and gets average 17-19mpg. However, I try very hard to keep the miles off it, yet it already has 28,000 on it... geez.

I loved my Raptor, but no way. Thats just insane amount of fuel for a cool looking truck. Plus the GM LS engines are just insanely easy to work on and make monsters from, plus parts are super easy to get and cheap to do.

The old 454 does have huge power, but the whole truck is getting tired and uses massive amounts of fuel also. I inherited it so it just holds a good place in my heart. It has had nothing in its 280k but a battery, shocks, a water pump, 2 sets brakes, new injectors and 1 tuneup (excluding tons of normal maintenance).
I fear its just going to tank at some point, but for now she still runs reasonably strong.

The 08 (The Gray Suburban) has 6.0 its actually much more responsive (really impressive for such a tank) but not much better on fuel at all. I intend to later (actually looking now) to shove 6.2 out of a wrecked low mileage Escalade, or CTS-V with super charger. These motors are crazy powerful but actually are very good on gas. The reason behind that is, they put out so much torque, that if driven mildly it takes much less effort to push that vehicle down the road. I'm a little gear head I love crazy mad power but I want all the power I can get at the least amount of fuel used because I drive such long distances, pulling trailers, carrying supplies, and or people (I don't like hauling people) : )

As for the SHTF stuff... I hope humanity gets a grip on itself. There is no need to become a world filled with monsters who kill off the lessor ones to survive our own nightmare created scenario. I live prepared but not because of that. I'm just out here in the middle of nowhere and its just a daily way of life and I like it a lot.

I would be worried more if I were in a position where I could become trapped... Yep I would most definitely
have not one plan but an A,B, C and then some. I get it from your side also.

I do live for a few winter months at a time in San Diego every year. I always feel safe there for some reason. Plus I am on the southeast side that gets me instantly on interstate 8 heading back east, in mere minutes. My mindset changes a little, but my worry there I guess is an earth quake and then the roads being a nightmare in the mountains east of there. In that case I have a truck that can take me across country through some rough stuff to get me out, if possible.

I like all makes, there is something I like in all of them, but I always go back to GM. I had a Ford Raptor (its in my media pics) but that truck got like 7mpg around here and 9-11 on the road. I usually slam around 70,000 miles a year. So I try and spread that out in a few vehicles. I have 2017 GMC All Terrain for my road truck right now. Its a 6.2 and rocks down the road like a rocket and gets average 17-19mpg. However, I try very hard to keep the miles off it, yet it already has 28,000 on it... geez.

I loved my Raptor, but no way. Thats just insane amount of fuel for a cool looking truck. Plus the GM LS engines are just insanely easy to work on and make monsters from, plus parts are super easy to get and cheap to do.

The old 454 does have huge power, but the whole truck is getting tired and uses massive amounts of fuel also. I inherited it so it just holds a good place in my heart. It has had nothing in its 280k but a battery, shocks, a water pump, 2 sets brakes, new injectors and 1 tuneup (excluding tons of normal maintenance).
I fear its just going to tank at some point, but for now she still runs reasonably strong.

The 08 (The Gray Suburban) has 6.0 its actually much more responsive (really impressive for such a tank) but not much better on fuel at all. I intend to later (actually looking now) to shove 6.2 out of a wrecked low mileage Escalade, or CTS-V with super charger. These motors are crazy powerful but actually are very good on gas. The reason behind that is, they put out so much torque, that if driven mildly it takes much less effort to push that vehicle down the road. I'm a little gear head I love crazy mad power but I want all the power I can get at the least amount of fuel used because I drive such long distances, pulling trailers, carrying supplies, and or people (I don't like hauling people) : )

As for the SHTF stuff... I hope humanity gets a grip on itself. There is no need to become a world filled with monsters who kill off the lessor ones to survive our own nightmare created scenario. I live prepared but not because of that. I'm just out here in the middle of nowhere and its just a daily way of life and I like it a lot.

I would be worried more if I were in a position where I could become trapped... Yep I would most definitely

I do live for a few winter months at a time in San Diego every year. I always feel safe there for some reason. Plus I am on the southeast side that gets me instantly on interstate 8 heading back east, in mere minutes. My mindset changes a little, but my worry there I guess is an earth quake and then the roads being a nightmare in the mountains east of there. In that case I have a truck that can take me across country through some rough stuff to get me out, if possible.
Just thought a house on pilings would be good in San Diego research has been collated about a tsunami

You think that GM 454 is bad on gas , you ain't seen nothin. I've got a 572 GM in my 1995 K2500, it burns enough gasoline to float a battleship around.

Last edited:
right now I'm working on an east texas cattle ranch, I have also worked quite a bit of construction over the years. my work vehicle is critical in order to get the job done.

I noticed you guys were discussing cars/trucks. I love most anything with wheels but in a practical context I have to have vehicles that work hard, haul heavy loads, pull big trailers and carry people. My gramps was a rancher. He always had a ranch truck, but a Suburban sitting in the garage. I guess he had about every model Chevrolet made until he passed away. I still have his last one and its a beast but getting tired.
Its a 1998 with 7.4 (454 cid) 3/4 ton 4x4. It didn't have many miles on it when he passed and left it too me. It now has like 287k. Here is a current pic of it... Its dirty from all the rain.

View attachment 37938

New Threads

Top Bottom