• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Any Software Developers around?

Mostly I spent quite a while working on MineTest, it's an open source game similar to MineCraft. www.minetest.org

I'm not much of a programmer but I have the sort of hyperfocus and the memory to be really good at exhaustive testing and script editing. I struggle to remember people's names but I have no trouble remembering strings of code and playing with them in my mind as I play the game.

I dropped out of my involvement in that because I had another burn out, left my life behind and started a new one again. I'm not sure what's going on with their development at the moment but they haven't served up any binary packages for a while, they have however built a massive source code archive of all things related to the game.

I've also used Linux since the late 90s and did quite a bit of troubleshooting and bug reporting back then. I'm only a hobbyist though, I was a Printer by trade.
I struggle with people’s names too!! And am good with code.

However programming is not about memory though as much as it is about problem-solving!

Any software developers around here? Hoping to connect with other members in the same field as me :)
I'm a software engineer. Have done volunteer work on several Open Source projects. At this point, my preference is to program in C but I've work with several languages and am fluent in HTML/CSS/JavaScript. I love to discuss topics related to lightweight, portable Free, Libre, Open Source software and libraries. Also enjoy recommending interesting Free programs to others.

I'm a software engineer. Have done volunteer work on several Open Source projects. At this point, my preference is to program in C but I've work with several languages and am fluent in HTML/CSS/JavaScript. I love to discuss topics related to lightweight, portable Free, Libre, Open Source software and libraries. Also enjoy recommending interesting Free programs to others.
Do you work as a software eng professionally, I mean?

I'm doing a Master's degree in Computer Science right now. I don't know what kind of software development I will pursue after graduation, preferably Java or Python, I have worked already for a bit in a big corporation, but decided not to continue, because I want to finish my degree.

In my free time, I like to play with Linux and I'm trying to wrap my head around React and Node.js. I like machine learning too, I completed a quite serious project as my Engineer's thesis, it was PhD coursework level.

I'm doing a Master's degree in Computer Science right now. I don't know what kind of software development I will pursue after graduation, preferably Java or Python, I have worked already for a bit in a big corporation, but decided not to continue, because I want to finish my degree.

In my free time, I like to play with Linux and I'm trying to wrap my head around React and Node.js. I like machine learning too, I completed a quite serious project as my Engineer's thesis, it was PhD coursework level.
You can work and study at the same time, can't ya? :)

You can work and study at the same time, can't ya? :)
Not really. It can be done only if the degree doesn't require studying / doesn't teach much. So yeah if someone studies management and/or has one day of class a week, maybe. But law, medicine or computer science don't work like that.

Even if you're good at what you're studying, it requires attention to pass (to do things on deadlines, to read lectures) and it's highly unlikely that you won't have to learn anything new at all.

Even if you're good at what you're studying, it requires attention to pass (to do things on deadlines, to read lectures) and it's highly unlikely that you won't have to learn anything new at all.
Yeah of course, computer science isn’t JUST programming. Even then it takes time and work-life balance is key :)

Still though, a lot of ppl do masters while working. Maybe reducing the number of days they work etc. the benefit is the employer funds the masters :)

Not really. It can be done only if the degree doesn't require studying / doesn't teach much. So yeah if someone studies management and/or has one day of class a week, maybe. But law, medicine or computer science don't work like that.
Here in the UK there are options for part time study. You can do the masters over more years

I would be interested also before I retired A noticed a weakness in my employer's logistic system and after
getting a DVD from the great courses found a unique solution no cost just a bit of programming.
I gave the solution the resident programmer could not get him to see what I saw. kept it to myself quietly retired.

Being an Aspie I was anal about order and cross referencing colour, substrates and resin systems from multiple suppliers. Even treatment systems.
so, they could easily be swapped. seamlessly with no visually noticeable difference

The DVD is called Mathematical Decision-making Predictive Models and Optimization. This is a real opportunity for someone. could be a game changer for planning and scheduling. All the pieces are in place just missing the software best example of low hanging fruit I have ever seen. Feel like one eyed person in land of the blind.

Last edited:
Retired. My main programming language these days is English - I tell my graduate students what would be interesting to program and they go away and do it, in whatever.
Spent decades working in Fortran in supercomputing applications. I got to the point where I could write Fortran in several other programming languages. ;)

New Threads

Top Bottom