• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Any recovery people here?

William Weiler

Ad Astra
I have been in AA for 31 years. But I want to make sure I mention I am not dogmatic at all. I can easily substitute any idea with one that works better. I also started Al-Anon back in 1987 or so, but stopped a number of years later, although I occasionally return. I became curious and kind of a junkie about it, and visited NA, Coda (excellent), DRA, even Emotions Anonymous once. What was that group, the one that does "endorsements" to each other for people with mentally illness? I forget. I attended a bunch of Churches and got invited to a Mosque once. I know many Sikh's too. I studied Buddism, and did zen mediation, and still do. Also, basic Yoga. I am into Scented oils, lighting with those new wifi lights, and even crystals. My guitar teacher asked about my lights and went out and got them. I leave mine on warm (cozy) or dimmed on relax. I have a decent stereo (not $$$) for attentive listening to healing music (audiophile). Now I am doing NARP. This program does not cease to amaze. If AA had been founded 75 years later, with the latest knowledge, this would be closet to it. The catch is without getting into it and trying the practice (doing the steps in AA), there is no way to know if a program works. The short answer is they all do, but only if you do the actual practice. And that will have be on belief and faith it will work. A barrier I think.

I'm 466 days sober of weed and alcohol. 100 days free of caffeine. I can't remember how long it's been since my last cigar, probably 6+ months. I quit cigarettes nearly a decade ago, but started up with cigars about 2 years back. It became a little regular (15 or so a year) and then the desire to continue burnt out I guess.

Split up with my girlfriend yesterday and whilst the thoughts have crossed my mind, there isn't a real drive to relapse, which I'm thankful for. I need to approach putting our cat up for aoption, decorating and selling our house in a sober frame of mind.

I've tried meditation intermittently. It tends to calm me down somewhat. I'm addressing my diet at present, although yesterdays developments feel like my recent self-care has been knocked out of whack. I've felt sick to my stomach for nearly 24 hours. Barely ate all day. Managed half a banana, a cereal bar and just now I had Greek yogurt and some blueberries. My stomach has gone to s**t - quite literally.

Still, I keep reminding myself that I'm better without substances. Towards the end of drinking and being a stoner I was getting regular migraines, regularly in my overdraft, and depression and feelings of hopelessness were overbearing.

Ed

I still distract with things when I need relief, or something healthier like a hike. Everyone needs relief or a retreat like entertainment, just not longer than needed, and not a trigger substance or thing. There are a lot of things I don't get because I don't have it, like a shopping addiction. But it is clear what the difference is between just liking it and having mild consequences, versus having serious consequences, like a 100k debt that can't be paid back, and damaged relationships. There is a lot of encouragement and support in these programs. People who would come from miles or stay up all night with you. It is amazing what happens when someone reaches out and asks for help.

I have had shopping and spending addictions. I also have an overwhelming video game addiction. This is something I'm hoping I can address when I move out and find myself in a new location with new people.

I'm hoping making new friends will make this next chapter in life feel even more fruitful than the last. I'd considered group therapy and addiction groups before - but I never went to one.

I'm not averse to the idea though. In fact - having been so introverted for such a long time, I'm very tempted to push back against this and become more outgoing and social again - like I used to be many years ago.

Ed

Yes, but no support groups here. I did it all on my own and don't like the structure of AA/NA. If it works for people though, that's all that matters. Even though I don't do religion the serenity prayer is nice though.

What AA has going for it, it is is big, with lots of people who have gotten far in recovery and can guide someone. Most meetings are open and anyone can attend. With zoom, they are all over the world right now. The program is called the 12 steps. The idea is to become spiritual. There is a confession style steps where a person comes out of hiding and joins the world, and a restitution step for people who feel guilt about some things they did. But the end it is just spirituality. Spirituality gets someone out of their head and into their body - or out of beta brain waves and into theta (my words). This facilitates healing. The society is open and people come and go as they please. The uniqueness is no command structure or hierarchy, where no one is in charge. I never saw this before I showed up there. New people cooperate initially for survival, and later because it works so well.

New Threads

Top Bottom