• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Any license plate geeks?

Found it, actually pretty sun beaten, can't hardly tell it's a Sunset plate anymore. View attachment 35134

Interesting. Note the cracking lines. That's what happened to my rear plate. At one point I inadvertently bent it outwards, so it was exposed to the snow and ice at times. But mine never lost the original colors.

Let's hope the newest plates have some kind of coating these plates didn't have. ;)

Interesting. Note the cracking lines. That's what happened to my rear plate. At one point I inadvertently bent it outwards, so it was exposed to the snow and ice at times. But mine never lost the original colors.

Let's hope the newest plates have some kind of coating these plates didn't have. ;)
This is a pretty typical plate in Vegas, the sun kills them. I only use the rear plate on my Mustang so I have a brand new spare if my Redrock plate gets messed up.

This is a pretty typical plate in Vegas, the sun kills them. I only use the rear plate on my Mustang so I have a brand new spare if my Redrock plate gets messed up.

Yep...all that fading. We only have that serious glare for maybe two and half months tops. Otherwise it's the snow that tends to ruin them.

Say, as a fellow Nevadan what's your uptake on the law requiring two plates? Is it a fact, and if so does law enforcement simply avoid enforcement of violators?

Otherwise I'd have just replaced my damaged rear plate with my front one. Too late now though, as the new plates should automatically come after I get my registration tag. It's well beyond eight years now...

Yep...all that fading. We only have that serious glare for maybe two and half months tops. Otherwise it's the snow that tends to ruin them.

Say, as a fellow Nevadan what's your uptake on the law requiring two plates? Is it a fact, and if so does law enforcement simply avoid enforcement of violators?

Otherwise I'd have just replaced my damaged rear plate with my front one. Too late now though, as the new plates should automatically come after I get my registration tag. It's well beyond eight years now...
Personally I don't see a need for a front plate, they screw up the look of the front end. I didn't care about that on my truck, but a car looks bad with a front plate. Besides, if a police officer is following u and running your plates, he's looking at the rear plates. Probably why law enforcement ignores the 2 plate law, at least in Vegas.

The older silver plates never seemed to get that bad.
20170701_104306.jpg

Personally I don't see a need for a front plate, they screw up the look of the front end. I didn't care about that on my truck, but a car looks bad with a front plate. Besides, if a police officer is following u and running your plates, he's looking at the rear plates.

The way the law reads it seems ambiguous in determining if the front bumper was integrally designed to accommodate a license plate. On my Celica I had to actually drill open the holes and then attach a seperate device to affix the actual plate. But I only did it at the time when I was moving out of state. At the time I had only a rear plate in California for eight years. Wasn't an issue there- and then.

But yeah, front plates can easily ruin a car aesthetically in many cases. :eek:

Interesting plate from my old 66 Mustang, from when my dad was in the Army stationed in Naples, Italy. Military base, AFSouth.
20170701_104208.jpg

The way the law reads it seems ambiguous in determining if the front bumper was integrally designed to accommodate a license plate. On my Celica I had to actually drill open the holes and then attach a seperate device to affix the actual plate. But I only did it at the time when I was moving out of state. At the time I had only a rear plate in California for eight years. Wasn't an issue there- and then.

But yeah, front plates can easily ruin a car aesthetically in many cases. :eek:
I Have never used a front plate in Nevada except on my trucks, never been an issue. I took the bracket off my PT Cruiser and put matching painted plugs in the holes. My new Mustang was originally sold in New Mexico and never had a bracket. It will never have one as long as I live in Nevada. You are right, the law is ambiguous, if you don't have a front plate bracket, you don't need a plate, but if you read it all, you may be required to purchase a bracket. They really need to look into this requirement again and do away with the front plate, it would save the state money as an added benefit.

I know what you mean. I was a registry agent in Alberta at the time the plates switched from 6 to 7 digits.

I notice everyone's plates, what year they were issued in, and I LOVE pattern plates - like when letters or numbers are doubled like 2322 or 5454 or BCB.

The ones issued in the 2003-2007 range bother me though as they used a different red paint that easily peels and fades.

.... I never thought of it as a special interest... but I guess it kind of is... lol!

Reminds me of California. For several decades this little old lady's only job was to monitor and censor personalized license plate requests to filter out anything objectionable. :p

Clearly computerization and evolved free speech put that job to rest.

Lol. When I worked at a registry, a little old lady wanted her name. It was Hellin.

They rejected it. Poor lady.

I Have never used a front plate in Nevada except on my trucks, never been an issue. I took the bracket off my PT Cruiser and put matching painted plugs in the holes. My new Mustang was originally sold in New Mexico and never had a bracket. It will never have one as long as I live in Nevada. You are right, the law is ambiguous, if you don't have a front plate bracket, you don't need a plate, but if you read it all, you may be required to purchase a bracket. They really need to look into this requirement again and do away with the front plate, it would save the state money as an added benefit.

I'm tempted to speak to one of our local policemen and see if they can be specfic about it in terms of real enforcement if any. It may be one of those things they don't enforce in their own right unless they stop you for something else.

In Nevada they stay with the owner, you put your old plates on your new car. Unless you want new ones.
Unless they've changed the law, vehicle plates in California stayed with the vehicle. I have a pair of plates from California that came off a car I had when I moved back to Illinois from there. In fact, they're the old black and yellow plates.

Here in Alabama they change the style every so often, so I never know what I'll get when it's time to renew. I have several hanging on the wall now . . . car and motorcycle.

Yep, living in California so long it seemed like a strange concept. That registration in Nevada is for the driver- not the vehicle. So the plate follows the driver from one car to the next. Though after last year, everyone gets a new plate every 8 years whether they want it or not due to wear and tear.

I just hope there isn't much of a lag between when they send me my latest registration sticker and when they send me new plates. I can just see so many Nevadans just putting their new sticker on the old plates rather than waiting for the new ones. :eek:

Hawaii was even stranger, the plate went with the car unless you sold it and every now and then they just change plates for no apparent reason. Last time they did this, they didn't even change the design! Same design, new number. Why?
Yep, living in California so long it seemed like a strange concept. That registration in Nevada is for the driver- not the vehicle. So the plate follows the driver from one car to the next. Though after last year, everyone gets a new plate every 8 years whether they want it or not due to wear and tear.

I just hope there isn't much of a lag between when they send me my latest registration sticker and when they send me new plates. I can just see so many Nevadans just putting their new sticker on the old plates rather than waiting for the new ones. :eek:

Hawaii was even stranger, the plate went with the car unless you sold it and every now and then they just change plates for no apparent reason. Last time they did this, they didn't even change the design! Same design, new number. Why?

Perpetual form of revenue enhancement when you need it. ;) Good for Hawaii, bad for taxpayers.

New Threads

Top Bottom