• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Any Jane Austen fans here?

Lactobuzzillus

Skipped Elf Practice
I’m still reading through her collection. So far I’ve read Pride and Prejudice and Persuasion, and I’m currently reading Emma. I’ve seen a few adaptations as well: both the BBC and 2005 movie versions of P&P and the 1995 movie version of Persuasion.

I feel like her stories make great wish-fulfillment for neurodivergent women. You’ve got these smart, thoughtful protagonists who have to put up with a society full of stupid rules. They are forced to spend their time entertaining stupid, shallow people, and they often find themselves dealing with manipulators who aren’t as nice as they pretend to be—but in the end, they are rewarded for their suffering by having the best choice of the men fall in love with them. (Also, very limited physical contact. Lol)

What are your favorites? Feel free to discuss/info dump/whatever. I am here for it.

It's been a while since I've read them, but I'm a fan. I always loved Northanger Abbey. I really love her humor. She wrote great satires of society and the worthlessness of so much etiquette.

My last read was Pride and Prejudice and Zombies.

I have a first edition of Pride, Prejudice, and Zombies, I remember when it came out and got a copy as soon as I saw it. Our store manager thought I was nuts when I ordered more in, but the book took off.

20221230_222046.jpg

This version came out in late December and was one of my few indulgences. But as much as I like Austen, I think Georgette Heyer is a bit sharper and more droll with her pen.

I’m still reading through her collection. So far I’ve read Pride and Prejudice and Persuasion, and I’m currently reading Emma. I’ve seen a few adaptations as well: both the BBC and 2005 movie versions of P&P and the 1995 movie version of Persuasion.

I feel like her stories make great wish-fulfillment for neurodivergent women. You’ve got these smart, thoughtful protagonists who have to put up with a society full of stupid rules. They are forced to spend their time entertaining stupid, shallow people, and they often find themselves dealing with manipulators who aren’t as nice as they pretend to be—but in the end, they are rewarded for their suffering by having the best choice of the men fall in love with them. (Also, very limited physical contact. Lol)

What are your favorites? Feel free to discuss/info dump/whatever. I am here for it.
I had to read Pride and Prejudice for school and its usually a given that what you read in school, you usually end up hating it a lot but it was one of the few books that I had to read for class that I really enjoyed. I‘ve also really enjoyed Sense and Sensibility and have read parts of Emma.I really liked the BBC versions of Sense and Sensibility and Pride and Prejudice too and thought they were a good adaptations. Its also interesting that Jane Austen is writing at a time when it wasn’t really common for women of the period to be published — seeing a “slice of life” from her perspective is very valuable.
My last read was Pride and Prejudice and Zombies.
I have only seen the movie of this — did not know that it was a book.=)

New Threads

Top Bottom