• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Any fellow Linux users on here?

Almost all Windows programs will fail to install without those fonts available. Adobe is essentially macintosh software and that always ships with it's own fonts.
Good to hear. Would make my day if that's all I need to get Photoshop to run. Now that I think about it, I learned the hard way to be very prudent about which fonts to purge, as Adobe requires certain postscript/ghost fonts that aren't even acknowledged. I deleted them, and sure enough Photoshop got hosed.

You don't have to keep uninstalling and reinstalling to do this. Xubuntu Lubuntu and Ubuntu are all exactly the same thing but with different desktop environments installed. Unfortunately Ubuntu is aimed at the attention deficit and those that think phones and tablets are also computers, they're not giving you the proper names of the desktops.

Xubuntu = XFCE desktop
Lubuntu = LXDE desktop.

As I mentioned in a post above, you can install any or all of these desktops and switch back and forth between them at will. The trouble is you need to know the proper name of the desktop environment in order to install it. The stupid software installer program in Ubuntu is designed to look and feel like Google Play Store, completely useless to anyone except advertisers.

There's a much more useful package manager called Synaptic:

sudo apt-get install synaptic

At least with synaptic you can search lists of programs in different categories. Because you're using an older machine I still recommend that you have a look at some of these:

I tried fedora and really liked it! But it also runs kinda slow on my PC

I have an old 4 gb memory in my very old MacBook but couldn't figure out how to install it on my laptop.

It was "fixed" by my sister's friend who disabled the mousepad and apparently took out memory cards as well (the computer should have 4 gb and only has 2)

I'll see what I can do

(the computer should have 4 gb and only has 2)
This is where all your problems will be. Even 4 gig of ram is very little these days.

If you're going to try ram from another laptop it Must run at the same speed as the existing ram or it will cause more problems than it's worth and might not even run at all.

On the plus side - a lot of people just throw their old laptops out. Have a look at your local rubbish dump for a laptop of a similar age to your own, the ram in them should still be fairly good. If you can find an 8 Gb ram card you'll be a lot better off.

This is where all your problems will be. Even 4 gig of ram is very little these days.

If you're going to try ram from another laptop it Must run at the same speed as the existing ram or it will cause more problems than it's worth and might not even run at all.

On the plus side - a lot of people just throw their old laptops out. Have a look at your local rubbish dump for a laptop of a similar age to your own, the ram in them should still be fairly good. If you can find an 8 Gb ram card you'll be a lot better off.
I live in Mexico dude, people don't just throw out good laptops, sadly

People don't throw out things here unless they are very broken or very old.

Hell, people still use cassette tape recorders

People don't throw out things here unless they are very broken or very old.
Most common cause of a laptop actually being dead, even in poor communities, is the main processor dying from heat stress. When that happens it's usually cheaper to buy another laptop than it is to fix the old one.

So any old computers you see at the dump very likely still have good ram cards.

Opening up and playing around inside old laptops isn't much fun though, all the plastic on the wires and leads gets brittle and it's easy to break things in them. I really hated working on laptops.

Yes, at one stage of my life much of what I owned came from the local dump.
I'll look into it! Doubt I'll find anything because there is no culture of separating trash here either, people just throw everything together and screw the environment.

I live in a very backwoods third world country trashy city and ain't affraid to speak openly about how much I loathe the culture of ignorance

I'll look into it! Doubt I'll find anything because there is no culture of separating trash here either, people just throw everything together and screw the environment.
That's exactly the sort of dump you want, where you can just walk around and help yourself. You'll be surprised at what you'll find sometimes.

These days all the dumps in our suburban areas have set up shops, they sort through all the rubbish themselves and sell anything that they think has value. That's no good if you've got no money.

You don't have to keep uninstalling and reinstalling to do this. Xubuntu Lubuntu and Ubuntu are all exactly the same thing but with different desktop environments installed. Unfortunately Ubuntu is aimed at the attention deficit and those that think phones and tablets are also computers, they're not giving you the proper names of the desktops.

Xubuntu = XFCE desktop
Lubuntu = LXDE desktop.

As I mentioned in a post above, you can install any or all of these desktops and switch back and forth between them at will. The trouble is you need to know the proper name of the desktop environment in order to install it. The stupid software installer program in Ubuntu is designed to look and feel like Google Play Store, completely useless to anyone except advertisers.

There's a much more useful package manager called Synaptic:

sudo apt-get install synaptic

At least with synaptic you can search lists of programs in different categories. Because you're using an older machine I still recommend that you have a look at some of these:

I failed to see the link on this post

Currently downloading fedora LXDE to give it a shot, I'd rather give fedora a second shot instead of going with lubuntu. Fingers crossed!

What a day. I think my struggle with Pop!OS22.04 is over.

1. I never could get Photoshop 5.5 to work under Wine in Pop!OS22.04. Even with the MS core fonts.
2. I finally discovered that Pop!OS22.04 is automatically adding a swap partition at bootup that I never wanted. WTH?

At least I did find a way to eliminate the swap partition outside of Pop!OS22.04. I booted the SSD up with my Linux Mint 21 flash drive and was able to delete it entirely during the "Something Else" option during installation of Mint 21.1.

Too bad, I have no idea what is keeping Photoshop 5.5 from operating in Wine 8.0.2. Something having to do with Pop!OS22.04, given I have no problem running or installing Photoshop with Wine 8.0.2 in Linux Mint 21.

Just wish there was another distro out there with Pop!'s application overview functions. I prefer them to the Ubuntu model. Oh well. There always will be Paris, and I'll always have Linux Mint...lol.

I failed to see the link on this post

Currently downloading fedora LXDE to give it a shot, I'd rather give fedora a second shot instead of going with lubuntu. Fingers crossed!
Seriously, you need more RAM. I can't imagine attempting to run even the lean and mean versions of Linux out there on 2 to 4 GBs. Hope you find something that works. Apparently there are still a few options:

Something having to do with Pop!OS22.04, given I have no problem running or installing Photoshop with Wine 8.0.2 in Linux Mint 21.
If this is the case then there has to be unsatisfied dependencies in the Wine installation. Components of Wine missing. Perhaps installing the Development files for wine would fix the problem?

If this is the case then there has to be unsatisfied dependencies in the Wine installation. Components of Wine missing. Perhaps installing the Development files for wine would fix the problem?
Keep in mind I had no issues installing an even older Adobe Illustrator. Making it all very perplexing.

But in my world if I can't install Photoshop, the OS in question is worthless to me.

BTW- I even tried installing Bottles to see if it would fix whatever the problem was. It didn't work either, with Photoshop giving off the exact same error and unable to open.

I even tried to install version 21 so I could upgrade to 22. It wouldn't let me. System 76 just tells people to install the latest version. Too bad, as my computer had no issues with 21 and upgrading to 22 in the past. I should have held onto it the first time I installed it. It's baffling...and I even tried no less than three different .iso files to install.

Arch working

Gonna try LFS. Hell yeah!
Good luck with LFS, I've always wanted to take on that masochistic challenge! It was my next goal after using Gentoo. I had Gentoo systems running for a few years, wish I still had the time to tinker, streamline, update and maintain a Gentoo install.

Weird to discover that apparently Pop!OS routinely installs a swap partition with every install. No big deal to them, although there's a fair amount of buzz out there about it. With 16GB of RAM I just don't see the point. But I can't say it appeared to impede the performance of the OS either.

Guess I'll give it one more try...making it my eleventh time to reinstall it. Actually I'm on it right now. :rolleyes:

But whether or not I can solve the problem of getting Photoshop 5.5 to run under Wine is anyone's guess. I think I may even use a generic Ubuntu script to install Wine rather than the one I've been using which is specific to Pop!OS 22.04. Luckily if need be I can always purge it 100% using the Synaptic Package Manager.

Welcome to the Linux club, @elgat0verde! Always good to see a new Linux user!

welcome!.jpg

New Threads

Top Bottom