• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Any fellow Linux users on here?

Hi Gang,

It's been 4 years since I last posted, and I wanted to stop in and say hi to everyone here at autism forums. I am still using Arch Linux because I can configure it to my liking. Also, I am still using Gnome Desktop because it's minimalist and gets out of my way when I don't need it. Best of all, I built the AMD Ryzen system that I spoke of in my last post. In fact I have two of them and I use the second one to learn programming, and to maintain the installation program that I created.

Linux is my hobby and programming various things is my creative outlet. I would like to release some of what I have created to the public for others to enjoy. I need to learn about Git and a few other things before I can do that. That's ok because I can be patient as I work my way up to my first Linux package.

Looking to the future, what I really want to see is ARM desktop systems running Linux. My MacBook Pro is an M2 which is ARM based, and it's really fast. It also runs for days on a battery charge which is great. Time will tell what happens there. Meanwhile I may buy a raspberry pi.

Yep. Some people complain that Linux is too much work, but if your objectives, applications, and hardware are not fully standard and well-supported, then you have a bit of work to do under Windows either way. The difference is that the returns for effort are so much better under a system that's well designed and documented, versus a commercial throw-away mess designed by a greedy corporation that wants to keep you on the upgrade treadmill forever.

ARM does indeed have its charm and, like most things, it does well at the purposes for which it's intended. For playing high-performance games, or hosting databases, or high-end processing, not so much. It's unfortunate that there are only two leaders that I know of for performance CPUs, and those are Intel and AMD. Since you like ARM, have you looked into Chromebooks? They are small, inexpensive, typically ARM laptops modeled on the Android design, and using its close relative Chrome OS, which, incidentally, is based on Linux.

Yep. Some people complain that Linux is too much work, but if your objectives, applications, and hardware are not fully standard and well-supported, then you have a bit of work to do under Windows either way. The difference is that the returns for effort are so much better under a system that's well designed and documented, versus a commercial throw-away mess designed by a greedy corporation that wants to keep you on the upgrade treadmill forever.

ARM does indeed have its charm and, like most things, it does well at the purposes for which it's intended. For playing high-performance games, or hosting databases, or high-end processing, not so much. It's unfortunate that there are only two leaders that I know of for performance CPUs, and those are Intel and AMD. Since you like ARM, have you looked into Chromebooks? They are small, inexpensive, typically ARM laptops modeled on the Android design, and using its close relative Chrome OS, which, incidentally, is based on Linux.

Linux does have a steep learning curve which for some is very difficult to navigate. The Linux community is helpful but getting help can be tricky. As an Aspie I have on occasion worded my request poorly and people have gotten mad at me. Fortunately for me, I have been using computers for so long that I can piece together the answers I am seeking. The programming projects that I am working on are intended to be tools that noobies can use to learn how to navigate their Linux system. I am a big fan of Emacs. With the right configuration, Emacs is not really hard to learn and it's a great tool for exploring your Linux system.

I picked up a Samsung Galaxy to compare Android to iOS. As a result of that experience, my first Andoid device will be my last. The reason I got rid of my Galaxy is that I was forced to allow automatic updates. Samsung kept installing junk onto my phone. If I removed their junk they reinstalled it without my permission. On top of that, I had Google spying on everything I did. Android violates every intention of The Free Software Foundation as well as the license that Linux is distributed under. Android is without any doubt the poorest quality distro of Linux in existence, and I do not recommend it.

I have learned that, through a little bit of tweaking (and rooting), it is possible to install an alternative, Linux-based OS onto a smartphone. I have been reading up on it for a while.

I should also mention that Android modifies the Linux kernel so much with Google's proprietary crap that I'd be hesitant to call it a Linux distro.

I have learned that, through a little bit of tweaking (and rooting), it is possible to install an alternative, Linux-based OS onto a smartphone. I have been reading up on it for a while.

I should also mention that Android modifies the Linux kernel so much with Google's proprietary crap that I'd be hesitant to call it a Linux distro.

Tweaking and rooting sounds like a lot of fun. Please share some links for others to do some reading as well.

You also make a very good point. Calling android a distro is attributing more to it than what is actually there. I have never used ChromeOS but the same probably applies.

Last edited:
Linux does have a steep learning curve which for some is very difficult to navigate. The Linux community is helpful but getting help can be tricky. As an Aspie I have on occasion worded my request poorly and people have gotten mad at me. Fortunately for me, I have been using computers for so long that I can piece together the answers I am seeking. The programming projects that I am working on are intended to be tools that noobies can use to learn how to navigate their Linux system. I am a big fan of Emacs. With the right configuration, Emacs is not really hard to learn and it's a great tool for exploring your Linux system.

I picked up a Samsung Galaxy to compare Android to iOS. As a result of that experience, my first Andoid device will be my last. The reason I got rid of my Galaxy is that I was forced to allow automatic updates. Samsung kept installing junk onto my phone. If I removed their junk they reinstalled it without my permission. On top of that, I had Google spying on everything I did. Android violates every intention of The Free Software Foundation as well as the license that Linux is distributed under. Android is without any doubt the poorest quality distro of Linux in existence, and I do not recommend it.

Well, yes, commercial product is commercial, and your complaints are certainly par. They have no respect for your privacy or your ownership of your device. One option to contemplate with something like a Chromebook, is to look for a model which is known to work with open-source, because you can, in principle, replace the OS if the hardware is not locked down, and if you can find drivers for all of the peripherals that matter to you. This takes a good bit of research, and maybe you can find a tutorial with model numbers from someone who has had success.

Well, yes, commercial product is commercial, and your complaints are certainly par. They have no respect for your privacy or your ownership of your device. One option to contemplate with something like a Chromebook, is to look for a model which is known to work with open-source, because you can, in principle, replace the OS if the hardware is not locked down, and if you can find drivers for all of the peripherals that matter to you. This takes a good bit of research, and maybe you can find a tutorial with model numbers from someone who has had success.

Good points.

I have access to a number of intel based apple units which I should try using. My old MacBook Pro is a quad core intel and my Mac Mini is a dual core intel. They should both make decent Linux systems. I will try that when I am not crazy busy getting ready to apply for disability and also preparing for my Autism testing.

I went to a LUG not too long ago where the presenter did just that with a Chromebook, but most Chromebooks are locked down by design. I have a copy of his presentation showing how he did a minimal install of Ubuntu on Chromebooks, but it would be an interesting experiment to see how something like Arch could work on one.
Tweaking and rooting sounds like a lot of fun. Please share some links for others to do some reading as well.

You also make a very good point. Calling android a distro is attributing more to it than what is actually there. I have never used ChromeOS but the same probably applies.
There's one called GrapheneOS that I've been doing research into, but it's only compatible with Pixel phones currently. Here's a couple different sites that talk about either alternative OSes or even outright Linux phones (Pinephone is one that comes up a lot).

I went to a LUG not too long ago where the presenter did just that with a Chromebook, but most Chromebooks are locked down by design. I have a copy of his presentation showing how he did a minimal install of Ubuntu on Chromebooks, but it would be an interesting experiment to see how something like Arch could work on one.

There's one called GrapheneOS that I've been doing research into, but it's only compatible with Pixel phones currently. Here's a couple different sites that talk about either alternative OSes or even outright Linux phones (Pinephone is one that comes up a lot).

I wish there were a LUG near me. I searched but never found one. I may have to start one myself.

Meanwhile Arch Linux is what I know and there are instructions for installing it onto a lot of devices. It lags behind OpenBSD which will run on a toaster lol but it's still pretty versatile.

Hi Gang,

It's been 4 years since I last posted, and I wanted to stop in and say hi to everyone here at autism forums. I am still using Arch Linux because I can configure it to my liking. Also, I am still using Gnome Desktop because it's minimalist and gets out of my way when I don't need it. Best of all, I built the AMD Ryzen system that I spoke of in my last post. In fact I have two of them and I use the second one to learn programming, and to maintain the installation program that I created.

Linux is my hobby and programming various things is my creative outlet. I would like to release some of what I have created to the public for others to enjoy. I need to learn about Git and a few other things before I can do that. That's ok because I can be patient as I work my way up to my first Linux package.

Looking to the future, what I really want to see is ARM desktop systems running Linux. My MacBook Pro is an M2 which is ARM based, and it's really fast. It also runs for days on a battery charge which is great. Time will tell what happens there. Meanwhile I may buy a raspberry pi.
I am a big fan of linux, emacs, and programming too, even after doing it as a job for many years.

The best way to learn git is probably to figure out the minimum commands and use it a while. git init, git log, git status, git commit, etc. In fact, many professional developers never go beyond this level of git knowledge and they use it just fine. The great thing about learning git by experimenting is that everything you do can be undone if there is a mistake. For the curious, this free book about git is really good: Pro Git

You mentioned that you like emacs, so I must point out Magit, which is an emacs package that integrates a git frontend. It is so good, that it would be worth using emacs just to have it.

Android might be based on the Linux kernel but I wouldn't strictly call it Linux nor would I call Android users Linux users unless you're the type of nerd to actually know that Android is based on the Linux kernel. I think at that point your nerdiness is enough for me to consider you one by technicality.

(Because let's be honest here - 99% of Android users don't know what their OS is based upon and they don't really need to either, that doesn't really provide any advantages or whatever that the average user is going to need lol)

OK - it's done. I am finally totally Microsoft Windows FREE.

Just finishing up replacing all the computer's OS's in my household with Linux Mint 21.3.

Took me a while to make the leap because even though I am retired, I'm still not quite actually retired and my work requires several rather "heavy" software programs that are designed for Windows only. Therefore, I cannot afford to be without those programs. So, I have been testing over the past year or so by installing and running those programs on my Linux Mint laptop. I also had to ensure I could still access the network printer, etc.

Learning Linux has also been quite a task. Still not as proficient as I would like, but since I have run out of preventive issues, I did it. My design lab computer is now running Linux Mint and I couldn't be happier.
One of the many "windows ONLY" programs gave this warning:
Alegro OS warning.jpg

But it runs perfectly. All of them do. Some have expressed very prominently that Windows is the only OS it will run under, so it was all a bit worrisome until testing it myself.

So, I am happy to announce that I am now completely commercial OS free. :)

OK - it's done. I am finally totally Microsoft Windows FREE.

Just finishing up replacing all the computer's OS's in my household with Linux Mint 21.3.

Took me a while to make the leap because even though I am retired, I'm still not quite actually retired and my work requires several rather "heavy" software programs that are designed for Windows only. Therefore, I cannot afford to be without those programs. So, I have been testing over the past year or so by installing and running those programs on my Linux Mint laptop. I also had to ensure I could still access the network printer, etc.

Learning Linux has also been quite a task. Still not as proficient as I would like, but since I have run out of preventive issues, I did it. My design lab computer is now running Linux Mint and I couldn't be happier.
One of the many "windows ONLY" programs gave this warning:
View attachment 128788
But it runs perfectly. All of them do. Some have expressed very prominently that Windows is the only OS it will run under, so it was all a bit worrisome until testing it myself.

So, I am happy to announce that I am now completely commercial OS free. :)

Well done. I've tried a number of Ubuntu-based distros, and with the exception of Pop!OS22.04 I've always come back to appreciate Mint 21.3 above all other Linux distros.

I still laugh at the fact that I can run a 26 year-old version of Photoshop on Mint 21.3 even under UEFI, Secure Boot and TPM 2.0. (Courtesy of Wine 9.0) While it runs precariously under Windows 10, and maybe not at all under Windows 11.

WINE IS AMAZING! It's one of my potential options to extend the life of my Macs to ridiculous proportions. When the MacOS is no longer viable I will probably use Wine to run windows stuff under MacOS to still enjoy using it more or less as is. For more modern stuff I will probably boot something like Ubuntu in the future.

Since my Macs can all be persuaded to run the latest MacOS, I suspect I can probably eek out a good few more years use without any need for any contingencies. I managed to get by on MacOS High Sierra without many issues and that OS is nearly 8 years old. So if I can expect similar from MacOS Ventura and Sonoma I could potentially still be using these machines in a decades time. I like to get my monies worth! :)

I like to get my monies worth!
Yep, me too. Each of my household computers; two desk tops and two laptops all became so slow as to be considered inoperable. They are all old - my desktop is 12 years old. After upgrading them to Linux Mint - with Wine, they are faster than when they were new and will run software that I have need all along, but wouldn't run; both old and new. I'm running very modern design software that requires Windows 11, and very old software that I love that Windows 7 won't run.

I think the difference is that Linux is not commercial. They don't add extra marketing code to ensure the machine and software is an official purchase and to restrict performance to force you to keep buying new stuff. The Linux OS just performs the intended function without the burden of commercial constraints. It doesn't care about it's vintage or how much or when you paid for it.

I would have gone with Linux at least 25 years ago if I just knew!

Live and learn!

I would have gone with Linux at least 25 years ago if I just knew!
I started playing with Linux back then and it was a huge struggle to get a lot of Windows programs to run back then. For me Linux didn't become a serious candidate for an alternative until about 2006, but since then I've never taken Windows seriously.

A lot of the things Windows users have to worry about just don't exist for me.

WINE IS AMAZING! It's one of my potential options to extend the life of my Macs to ridiculous proportions. When the MacOS is no longer viable I will probably use Wine to run windows stuff under MacOS to still enjoy using it more or less as is. For more modern stuff I will probably boot something like Ubuntu in the future.

Since my Macs can all be persuaded to run the latest MacOS, I suspect I can probably eek out a good few more years use without any need for any contingencies. I managed to get by on MacOS High Sierra without many issues and that OS is nearly 8 years old. So if I can expect similar from MacOS Ventura and Sonoma I could potentially still be using these machines in a decades time. I like to get my monies worth! :)

Yep, love my Mac too! Of course beneath her skirt lies Pop!OS22.04 and a whole lot of Gnome extensions and modifications. But don't tell anyone. :D

Pop!OS2204.jpg

IMO Linux Mint 21.3 is a better OS, but it doesn't offer quite the modification potential as does Pop!OS22.04. Though this Linux OS won't function with Secure Boot.

Last edited:
Yep, love my Mac too! Of course beneath her skirt lies Pop!OS22.04 and a whole lot of Gnome extensions and modifications. But don't tell anyone. :D

View attachment 129242

IMO Linux Mint 21.3 is a better OS, but it doesn't offer quite the modification potential as does Pop!OS22.04. Though this Linux OS won't function with Secure Boot.
Oh wow! That looks very MacOS like! I'm so used to MacOS I always bump into the walls a bit with other OSes, so the more similar an OS is to MacOS the better for me.

I'm currently cloning my iMacs hard disk to SSD so hopefully it's going to gain quite a bit of speed. Then I just need to find a compatible 4GB RAM module to get it to 16GB RAM and I think its going to be a very capable machine :)

Oh wow! That looks very MacOS like! I'm so used to MacOS I always bump into the walls a bit with other OSes, so the more similar an OS is to MacOS the better for me.

I'm currently cloning my iMacs hard disk to SSD so hopefully it's going to gain quite a bit of speed. Then I just need to find a compatible 4GB RAM module to get it to 16GB RAM and I think its going to be a very capable machine :)

Here's an example of what is involved in making any number of Gnome-supported Linux distributions look like various types of Macs. Until I finally stumbled on this one informative link it remained a mystery to me as to how to transform a Linux distro into a Mac-looking OS using Gnome shell extensions:

One thing I learned the hard way is you can' just take Mac-style icons and replace them in an OS like Pop!OS22.04. Each time I tried, it would stop the OS from even loading. I had to integrate those icons into a folder I made called .icons along with another folder called .themes in the HOME directory. Then populate both these folders with custom gnome files downloaded from sources like I posted above.

These other two links are basically the key to effectively using Gnome shell extensions to customize any Linux distro that supports them:

And then to use the "Gnome Tweaks" program (usually found in your repository) to be able to change the theme of the OS "on the fly". That also allowed me to keep the minimize/maximize/close buttons on the right rather than how Mac actually has them on the left of windows. Changing any of these settings allows me to instantly go from Linux to Mac or back...or to something else depending on what you downloaded into those folders called themes and icons.

Gnome Tweaks.jpg

I have to admit though, it took a lot of struggling to understand it all to finally make it work. But as always it was worth the effort.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom