• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Any Difficulties With School?

im 19 now I had had hell in elementary school high school seam more ok and nice they found out I had aspi at the age of 13 so since then I hade more fun at school but for a reason I don't feal like I learn much in a book I gota learn by doing im sure im not the only one =P I think any way , yea I get pipole look at me differently cuzz how I talk or do my work and in sume stuff above average knowledge so I get cald lier or I make **** up till I show um the facks or profe I uses to have bullies but most of um were actually teachers Quebec wase the worst for that and the kids wen I told um wat I had I actually hade pipole defend me and I manage to get my 1st actual friend at the age of 13 we still chat 1s a week at time we now live in different towns but having a friend at school made me wana keep trying to get my 12 grade

ps sorry for the spelling I suck at it =P im using my computer to spell cheek me and im also French so yea

me well I have Asperger's high functioning but in elementary school was hell for me I got bullied by teachers and laft at, and school wase just to easy for the most part wen found out I hat autism at the age of 13 so high school wase more fun yea I had some bullies cuzz I know things I shunt and wase adavants in some stuff but others not so much ,pipole would call me a lier or full of my self till id prove um rong teachers in high school are a lot more interested about me then in elementary school now I have a few frends and most my classes I pass even know I sleep in class for the most part or just stay in my lil bubble thinking about other stuff but im not going in collage or university instead im going to go for aprentiship for welder is my last year of school yay I can't w8t only prob im not going for engineer I wold love to but for a reason I never got all the right classes even know all my teachers find im very smart I just don't show my true potential =/ so in a way im also lazy socially I have my own lil group like during lunch me and a few frends instead going to the cafeteria we have robotic class that we go in and we play games on the computers and chat and help echother with home work, most the school knows me and likes me find me coky and smart so high school I think compared to most I have it good

My first years at school were OK, I would talk to the other kids and they respected me as a the brainy one of the class. But when I was about 9 everything went downhill, I was hopeless at maths, had poor handwriting, was no good at sport and was constantly bullied so I became quiet and withdrawn and simply gave up, if you were full of facts like me they told you to 'shut up', 'no one cares' and 'you're a useless nerd'. That is how it was especially at high school, I hated all the group activities, the schools fixation on team sports and certain teachers who picked on me constantly and encouraged the others to do so, the only subjects I was good at were science and English. So here I am with no real qualifications and a lot of painful memories as well as a deep seated loathing of sport and maths (although my maths has improved a lot all thanks to me teaching myself, which is more than those so-called teachers did).

At secondary shool I was placed in a special learning class, only now have I realized It it must
have been for my learning speed. I was/am not very good with maths (I am greatful for a Calculator)
and not very good at writing (Spelling dependant upon spell check, at least I can see if it is the wrong
spelling of a word). Now I am starting to put thoughts into words, not easy being a visual thinker.

Now I am starting to put thoughts into words, not easy being a visual thinker.

I know how that feels! The more tired I am, then more it feels like there is a gap between my brain and my abiilty to speak. I can have thoughts I want to say, but I just can't form the words. I find it easier to interpret my thoughts into writing than speaking.

Thanks for that Christy. I have found for the last couple of years that I had started write thoughts questions down but with no real idea why I was doing it. I just felt it was the start of a proccess of asking for help.

Laughing Owl I would suggest if you can get a qauilfcation for some thing you like to do, go for it.

After school I was shuffled around various training centers. I would end up being experience in
wood working equipement, spray painting. For ten years I worked with a semi-retired builder
part time. With how job prospects are in New Zealand now, you need a certificate to do
most jobs. I am experienced but not certified to do any of it.

I can have thoughts I want to say, but I just can't form the words. I find it easier to interpret my thoughts into writing than speaking.

Good points. I sometimes wonder how disastrous college might have been had I had to participate in the Socratic method of verbally providing answers to instructors instead of writing them down in a bluebook.

I'm not Aspie, but I suspect my son is. The main problem he had in school was not acting like the other kids, sometimes acting way younger than the other kids did. He did not get bullied for it though; because of his great imagination he has always had at least one good friend who could appreciate all the weird little games he can come up with at the drop of a hat.

This year he is attending an online charter school for the first time, and although they tout it as being great for disabled kids because "you can go at your own pace" and it offers "scheduling freedom," the website is so poorly organized that every day is like a scavenger hunt just to find out what he's supposed to be doing that day. I have made repeated complaints to the teachers and principal about this, and all they do is say, "Well, other families manage it okay," and nothing on the website changes. I do NOT recommend it! My son is failing almost all his classes, and he's brilliant! just because the school's website is so badly hashed together.

Sorry, this turned into a rant against Connections Academy more than something helpful! But my son did have problems while in school, with not being able to do what he wanted to do at recess, which was to run around waving sticks. He loves sticks. He wanted to be left alone for 20 minutes to play with his sticks, and of course the school couldn't allow him to do anything so dangerous and antisocial. *eyeroll*

And then at the school in our new state of residence, he was under HUGE pressure to join the football team. He is NOT a team player, not that great at sports, and honestly has zero interest in them, so that bothered him as well. He did make a couple of friends, but at the end of the year didn't want to stay in touch with them. His friendships tend to be transitory and situation at best.

I found it hard at school. I only had one friend through high school. I was bullied many times. My best days was when I was away from school.

The teachers were almost as bad as some of the bullies. One teacher would hit his desk with his 1 metre wooden ruler if everyone was talking. Another would ask some of the girls for their jewellery and refuse to give it back to them after class. It sure was living hell!

I feels better to be finished with school and I've moved far away from it now. I don't interact with any of the kids from my year anymore. Life's more peaceful and predictable.

I got bullied often in school. This was mostly in elementary school, and to a lesser extent in middle and high school.

College has been tough for me. Not only am I a little younger than most students (I'm 19 and most are 21), I'm going to college out of state, and there's been a bit of a culture shock. Like in my Introduction to College Life class, I was the only one who didn't grow up showing animals at the county fair. It's also been hard because I took some college classes in high school, and I was able to skip most of the general freshman classes. So I immediately started harder classes with upperclassmen the moment I got here.
Last year (my first year) was really rough, with having to write 6-7 papers each week and sleeping troubles (my roommate liked to sleep in till noon and go to sleep at 3am). But this year I've got my own room and less work, so it's been easier.

New Threads

Top Bottom