• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Another one bites the dust....(feeling like location thwarts chances for success)

Aspychata

Serenity waves, beachy vibes
V.I.P Member
So this somebody l chat with is working pretty decent job but is battling incredible high rent, hour commute on a good day, and is feeling Cali is not hospitable like when they first arrive.

So l looked up stats, taxes are the second highest, gas prices are 4 dollars plus, sales tax is 10% where they are. And the commute is horrible. And rent just keeps going up. You need to be careful if living as a single female. We will skip the smog and crime aspect of living where graffiti tagging is hourly on trees, sidewalks, fences, etc. l couldn't park without driving around for 30+ mins. Parking is such a high end commodity that l just paid for garage parking, because parking tickets were 75 dollars and l was averaging about two tickets a month. l just hopped the bus to the garage. Then l just started busing places because it took about the same amount of time minus looking for and paying for parking. So l just try to let them vent. They also stated the homeless population continues to grow in central LA. Call the police? Forgetta about it, faster to call for pizza. The one plus- you could always be late, because the excuse l was stuck in traffic probably reverberates through LA 20,000 times a day by random people.

Has anyone at this panel moved due to the feeling you just couldn't get ahead?

Last edited:
Yes. When I finished Uni in Missouri.
It was impossible to find a decent job and Dad had just been replaced by a younger person where
he had been working.
So he started working two part time jobs and so did I. It wasn't enough.
The winters were terrible. So we just sold the house and moved to Florida cold turkey. (Frozen turkey!)
Here we both found well paying jobs.
The only down side was rent and house prices were much more than in Missouri.

@SusanLR
Yes, their son is in the process of graduating, and has lost interest in finding a job because the job market there is who you know. They have struggled to find a closer place to employment to rent and can't.

So they maybe considering FL.

Plus did l mention earthquakes? When l was there, a bill was passed to retrofix all buildings that had parking underneath by 20-something, so shock- more construction.

And the sidewalks in central LA have cracks, big and small everywhere. You have to be very careful walking.

Totally yeah, without kids and a hubby, being portable, able to move to where conditions are better works well financially for me. I think I goofed this time, went for small town culture where I have not been accepted, like they all went to skewl together and outsiders are outsiders, but I'm more than capable of moving back to the city and am in the process of doing that. I prefer small capitals, under 2 million, bigger than that, no-one knows what theyre doing.

I've moved from one side of the country to the other to better myself and I'm about to do it again.

I would never live in a quake prone area.

Last edited:
Yeah, hopefully by this time next year I'll be in a place where the cost of living is much lower and I'll eventually be able to supply much of my own food, and I'll be off grid as far as utilities go. Yeah, Siskiyou County is small and most people in the valleys all know each other from way back, but there are some hermits and freelanders there and they're mostly tolerated by the people in the valleys and around Mount Shasta. What the locals DON'T like is outsiders trying to ram a different way of life down their throats, that's why the reaction to the marijuana plantations has been so harsh and why the Karuk People ran the hippies out of the Marble Mountains in the 80s, they got sick of the drugs and trash (human and otherwise) the hippies brought. The Karuk still hate whites, if any whites show up in Happy Camp (the tribal capital) they tend to get told to scram at shotgun point. That's an exception though. No jobs, but I can easily live on SSI, in fact a lot of people there live on govt benefits. Los Angeles is hell on earth except for a tiny number of zillionaires and A-List actors. I have no clue how anybody could live there and NOT go completely bonkers. My advice: get out, just take your car and drive north.

Lived on a reservation for two years, talk about isolated. The most excitement was the Navajo's walking their sheep herd through our street or the beautiful woven blankets shown to me by a much older Navajo lady that was wise enough to frequent the hospital housing where employees lived. Sedona stores carried woven blankets 10,000 dollars and up. Sadly, the nayive americans had to deal with discrimination in Phoenix. But l treasure the serenity and beauty of Sedona, Flagstaff and Grand Canyon.

Made friends with a older Navajo lady and l helped her open up a bank account (she was so happy about this) and helped her resolve a phone issue. Her son did go to on to college. They are extemely passive and it's extremely difficult to make friends. Feel blessed to have made her acquaintance. Alot of them lived in mobile homes. It was a dry reservation , so there were a lot of deadly car accidents coming back from Flagstaff where people would drive back intoxicated. The native americans have a inability to tolerate alcohol and their body is unable to break it down. One time l did my laundry at laundromat and walked out to my car, my family's washed clothes blew halfway across the parking lot. The winds are incredible on the res. For fun, my daughter and l would checkout the Kachina dolls at the trading posts. One time we went to post, and she was thrilled to hold a baby chicken at the cashier stand. Just another day on the res.

Last edited:
I left California and moved to the Midwest a few years ago. The culture here leaves much to be desired, but cost of living in Cali is nearly impossible if you want to actually get anywhere in life.

@Aspychata I never lived on a reservation in Arizona, but, I've been all over it and know what you
mean.
I was born in Pheonix and it is almost like another LA today.
Would not want to live there now.
Sedona and Flagstaff are my favourite areas. But, they are a tourist attraction.
Still it will always feel like my roots.

It's weird thinking about this. I remember just 20 years ago how everyone wanted to go to California. Now everyone wants to leave it. Such irony.

New Threads

Top Bottom