• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Ancient mythology

Adora

I use to be hugely into Greek mythology especially the gods and goddesses,I'm wondering is there anyone that likes mythology,if so which culture and why?

I have been interested in mythology for most of my life, but I can't pick a certain culture. When I was young my main fascination was Egypt, because of the pyramids, and the Norse, because of Marvel Comic's " Thor". As I've gotten older this interest has grown to involve all myths and legends around the world and how the same stories seem to show up in all of them.

Oh yes. I was interested in Joseph Campbell's work on mythology, and dove into the Greeks, the Romans, Aztec, South American fairy tales, Navajo, dabbled in south Asian myths. And I utterly love Neil Gaiman The Sandman, which inspired a lot of other exploration. Collecting the godly pantheon within The Dreaming (itself an Australian aboriginal construct, if I recall correctly) to award the keys of hell was a pleasurable romp through the world's major mythologies.

I like how myth tells the recurring human stories through a cultural filter--they aren't personal histories. But they can be adopted as personal stories.

Mythology is one of my special interests and I had the pleasure of meeting Joseph Campbell. My interests range from ancient Hindu through Sumerian, Babylonian, Egyptian, Nordic, Celtic and a few south American mythologies.

What I love about myths is the incorporation of historical events through the manifestation of the archetypes within the psyche. Myths go beyond the individual mind, embracing the collective unconscious identity of Humanity.

Each person is a myth in the making. It's why I collect their stories ;)

I was very confused by mythology/philosophy as a child.
I thought I must be pretty dumb to not understand how everything was
really made of water or fire or whatever the essential elements were supposed to be.
I didn't like feeling dumb.

I love the myths, legends and fairy tales. I'm actually reading about pandoras box right now.

I was fortunate enough to study Greek and Egyptian mythology as part of my history courses in highschool. I did Norse on my own, kinda. I also had viking and celtic history in school. I haven't had much chance to really delve in any other religions that deeply, but I have quite the collection of folk lore and fairy tales. And Zodiacs. Apparently the Celts were the only ones that had any faith in my husband and I as a couple, everybody else thinks we're doomed to failure. :yum:

Apparently the Celts were the only ones that had any faith in my husband and I as a couple, everybody else thinks we're doomed to failure. :yum:

I want to get a book it's called the mabinogion it was written in medival wales 12th century I believe it's all about British folk lore. That's next on my list, you can get it on amazon if your interested.

Wow Harrison I am admittedly envious of meeting Joseph Campbell. How cool is that, hope you were able to have a talk.

Anyhow, I used to be fascinated with the Greek mytholgy after I visited Greece as a little kid and fell in love with the way it looks, the ancient feeling, the mystery of it, and the bittersweet reality of its present day.
I've read and taken classes during my university days into Navajo, Hopi, (not in the same class of course) and touched on Australian aboriginal stories.
(Almost forgot, recently I've been reading about Iron Age Britain. So that tied in nicely with Tom's thread on Neanderthal genes. )

Also, I have an overly dramatic, chiaroscuro sort of life story, which I process visually as best I can so as to not get stomped by monsters. lol

Reading all of your post has caused me to dig out my copy of "The Hero with a Thousand Faces', but as usual with me I couldn't stop there. I also dug out the book that first introduced me to Joseph Campbell ( I shouldn't say "dug out" it was sitting right beside it). The book, which Campbell edited and wrote the introduction, is a collection of writings from Carl Gustav Jung and considering the subject we're discussing I think should be mentioned.

I want to get a book it's called the mabinogion it was written in medival wales 12th century I believe it's all about British folk lore. That's next on my list, you can get it on amazon if your interested.
That is definitely something worth looking in to. :)

My big book of folklore is called "Best Loved Folktales of the World" by Joanna Cole.

I've been interested in mythology ever since I was given a book of Greek myths (in comic book form) as a child. Since then I've dabbled in other mythologies; mostly Norse/Germanic, but also Egyptian, Celtic, Mesoamerican and the myriad of Asian ones. I was facinated by that stuff as a kid because the stories were just so interesting to me in general, but as a adult they interest me because of how they reflect the cultures that produced them.

World myths are fascinating. I really would like to look more deeply into comparative mythology. I love seeing how ideas travel and evolve over time, be it tool making, music, art, or story telling.

One interesting example is the way in which the Greek god Boreas evolved into the Japanese god, Fujin.

(I had to look it up to recall the name, but I stumbled across the example in a book a while back.)

I like greek mythology but I don't find the appropiate books to study it. Sometimes I make up stories about them in my head.

New Threads

Top Bottom