• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

An upcoming movie you want to see

That makes sense. The thing I remember resonating most was her [AI] feeling of alienation and uniqueness, among other things.

I hope you have the chance to see it soon, I would like to hear what you think.

Hey XAND

Finally saw 'her'. Ha, wasn't what I had expected, but I enjoyed it all the same. The ending was a little disappointing, I felt. The fact that the OSs all suddenly disappeared, was rather odd, and anti-climactic. I had previously assumed he would have lost her to a virus, or due to his computer being damaged, or something, but I was right in suspecting that it was not going to be a long-lasting relationship, for moral reasons.

In saying that, it was extremely honest, which I think I liked most about it. I did find myself drawn to the AI's beautiful character, and Scarlett Johansson does have a lovely voice. I didn't expect her to have had the ability to have complete freedom to choose options as radical as she had, I must admit. Some of them were pretty out there.

Although I'm not a man, I felt it addressed some fairly typical issue some men face. It seems the purpose of the AI is not simply to teach Theodore to live with the good and bad in his relationships, but was also to recognise his own flaws. I felt that when the AI entered in to a relationship with him, it was the 'man in the relationship', in the sense that it wanted so much more than simply being in the relationship. By doing this, Theodore had to learn to experience some of the feelings many women would feel in relationships with men, when asked to accept ideas they are uncomfortable with; which of course, forces him to empathise better with regular women.

She saw the world in a very rational way; able to distinguish between logic and emotion, she wanted some pretty 'freaky' sexual favours, which Theodore was not at all comfortable with, and she wanted to be able to remain in the relationship, while 'seeing other people'. I think in the end, normal women would have seemed much more appealing; though I do think he missed her deeply when she left him.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am glad you enjoyed it. There were quite a few things that made me uncomfortable, but I never know how [or whether] to caution anyone in advance.

I have the curse or blessing of being a complete idiot going into any movie, thereby suspecting nothing.

It took me until thirty seconds after the 'big reveal' to figure out that Bruce Willis was the ghost, and then only after someone spelled it out for me. I really am profoundly stupid at these times, and only understand a given film long afterwards upon reflection, if at all. Primer, Inception, Memento... only slightly more difficult for me to follow than The Lion King or The Iron Giant. I did not anticipate the ending of Her, as such, but it warrants a re-watch at some point before I have cemented my opinion on it.

One more thing about why I enjoyed that movie, though: I got my first computer in 1992 and with no other resources except programming dictionaries, I devoured BASIC. The logic (mostly the idea of IF/THEN) shaped my worldview in the most profound way. It wasn't long before I was obsessed not only with AI but also the idea that it could be capable of a unique-but-still-genuine form of emotion. That occurred to me independently at the tender age of 13 and I set to programming what I then named "Project Prometheus". While that project is lost for all time, it really set the stage for me. So when I heard about Her, it was an instant must-see.

I am glad you enjoyed it. There were quite a few things that made me uncomfortable, but I never know how [or whether] to caution anyone in advance.

I have the curse or blessing of being a complete idiot going into any movie, thereby suspecting nothing.

It took me until thirty seconds after the 'big reveal' to figure out that Bruce Willis was the ghost, and then only after someone spelled it out for me. I really am profoundly stupid at these times, and only understand a given film long afterwards upon reflection, if at all. Primer, Inception, Memento... only slightly more difficult for me to follow than The Lion King or The Iron Giant. I did not anticipate the ending of Her, as such, but it warrants a re-watch at some point before I have cemented my opinion on it.

One more thing about why I enjoyed that movie, though: I got my first computer in 1992 and with no other resources except programming dictionaries, I devoured BASIC. The logic (mostly the idea of IF/THEN) shaped my worldview in the most profound way. It wasn't long before I was obsessed not only with AI but also the idea that it could be capable of a unique-but-still-genuine form of emotion. That occurred to me independently at the tender age of 13 and I set to programming what I then named "Project Prometheus". While that project is lost for all time, it really set the stage for me. So when I heard about Her, it was an instant must-see.

Aw, I wouldn't say you're stupid for it, I used to have the same problems when watching films. You have to remember that as a person with AS, it's almost like speaking another language. If English wasn't your first language, and someone cracked a joke, chances are everyone around you would laugh, while you'd probably be scratching your head, wondering what's so funny. It took me years to learn the language, and I'm still learning. Don't be so hard in yourself :)

I do know what you mean with the AI obsessions. I love anything to do with AI, time travel, parallel universes, and other alternate reality stories. I just love the freedom it offers to explore such complex, and fascinating, theories and possibilities. It's like an intellectual workout, integrated with our imaginations, so it really allows us to indulge; making it so much more fun than simply reading a theoretical book on the subject.

Looking through the list of movies coming out this year, here's what I'll most likely end up seeing at some point

Best Night Ever
The LEGO Movie
Nurse 3D
Love and Air Sex
Scooby-Doo! WrestleMania Mystery
Vampire Academy
A Fantastic Fear of Everything
RoboCop
Adult World
Welcome to Yesterday
Holy Ghost People
Black Out
Non-Stop
300: Rise of an Empire
Mr. Peabody & Sherman
Need For Speed
Bad Words
Nymphomaniac
Nymphomaniac: Volume II
Captain America: The Winter Soldier
10 Rules for Sleeping Around
Goodbye World
Under the Skin
Heaven is for Real
13 Sins
The Amazing Spider-Man 2
Godzilla
A Million Ways to Die in the West
Maleficent
22 Jump Street
The Purge: Anarchy
Hercules: The Thracian Wars
Guardians of the Galaxy
Leprechaun: Origins
Addicted
Business or Pleasure
Interstellar
Big Hero 6
Horrible Bosses 2
Hot Tub Time Machine 2

I think I'm going to watch the Oscar winning Best Film, "Twelve Years A Slave" on pay-per-view today.

"The Monuments Men"

Looks like an interesting WW2 story. Hope to catch it on pay per view pretty soon....

I've been really pleased with some of Disney's latest CGI releases. I never saw Frozen, but I found Tangled and Wreck-It Ralph to be utterly delightful. I look forward to this one!
I liked Wrek-It-Ralph, and Tangled, but felt Frozen didn't quite reach it's full potential; but that's just my opinion :P

New Threads

Top Bottom