• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

An upcoming movie you want to see

Hobbit 2! Still trying to figure out if I'm going to the midnight premier with the double feature or not... for $20 that is too good of a deal to pass up. I'd be watching the first part and the midnight premier of 2.

Anne! It's like you read my mind. I'm counting the days until the release. It's the only film I will happily go see without anyone having to push me into it.

I guess there are some of the "bigger" movies out there I'd like to see.

The Hobbit movies are amongst that list. I might be interested to see Catching fire (even though it's out already) and later down the line, the sequels to that. 47 ronin, Robocop, Captain America: The winter soldier, X-men: Days of future past, Transformers; Age of extinction, Dawn of the planet of the apes, TMNT, Sin city: a dame to kill for, Avengers: the age of Ultron are on my list as well.

And looking at it. There is no single movie on this list of mine that is totally new IP. It's all comic adaptions, sequels or remakes of any kind.

I'm not that aware of a lot of indie or arthouse movies right now which I really would like to see. Perhaps there's not a lot interesting coming out from what I've been informed about. I should check.

Lars von Trier's Nymphomaniac. I have been suitably impressed by his work and the use of his Dogme 95 technique. He is brave in confronting society's taboos. Plus, I can relate well to the topic of the film and am interested in how he portrays nymphomaniacs. It might be awkward though, seeing actors and actresses I admire utterly exposed before my very eyes. Charlotte Gainsbourg is an absolute darling - spotless and multi-layered acting. Gorgeous.

I have high hopes for the standard of this film but how much of the public will truly appreciate what it's like being addicted to sex?

I think this one's already out, but it's only showing at select, non-mainstream cinemas; where they charge 4x the price to watch a movie, so I'm waiting for the DVD :p

I want to see 'Her'. It's a movie staring Joaquin Phoenix, about a man who is having trouble with his relationships in life. The difference with this and any old love story though, is that he ends up trialing a new AI computer, and ends up falling for it's persona. I think a lot of Aspies might relate to this one, even if they don't agree it would be a good idea; I just find it interesting :)

image.jpg

I think this one's already out, but it's only showing at select, non-mainstream cinemas; where they charge 4x the price to watch a movie, so I'm waiting for the DVD :p

I want to see 'Her'. It's a movie staring Joaquin Phoenix, about a man who is having trouble with his relationships in life. The difference with this and any old love story though, is that he ends up trialing a new AI computer, and ends up falling for it's persona. I think a lot of Aspies might relate to this one, even if they don't agree it would be a good idea; I just find it interesting :)

View attachment 7636

From what you've described, the film reminds me of Lars and the Real Girl. Starring Ryan Gosling as Lars. Fascinating film and wonderful performances.

From what you've described, the film reminds me of Lars and the Real Girl. Starring Ryan Gosling as Lars. Fascinating film and wonderful performances.

Ooh, that actually looks pretty interesting; I just watched the trailer. I'll have to have a look at it.

Similar concept, except that the 'fake girlfriend' can speak. I don't think you can really see the AI much beyond a little box, it's more the voice of the AI, and their conversations, that causes him to fall for her.

Ooh, that actually looks pretty interesting; I just watched the trailer. I'll have to have a look at it.

Similar concept, except that the 'fake girlfriend' can speak. I don't think you can really see the AI much beyond a little box, it's more the voice of the AI, and their conversations, that causes him to fall for her.

I'll have to have a look out for it when it comes out here. If you do get to see Lars and the Real Girl, I hope you thoroughly enjoy it. Bearing in mind I love Ryan Gosling so I may be just slightly biased. ;)

I'll have to have a look out for it when it comes out here. If you do get to see Lars and the Real Girl, I hope you thoroughly enjoy it. Bearing in mind I love Ryan Gosling so I may be just slightly biased. ;)

Haha, fair enough. I enjoy films about psychology, the human condition, and seemingly odd behaviours people portray, so this seems right up my ally.

Here's the list of films I want to see in 2014...

Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit
I, Frankenstein
RoboCop
Mr. Peabody & Sherman
Captain America: The Winter Soldier
Heaven Is For Real
The Amazing Spider-Man 2
X-Men: Days of Future Past
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes
Guardians of the Galaxy
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
The Hobbit: There and Back Again

Ooh, I really want to see Dawn of the Planet of the Apes too :)

I've seen both Her and Lars and the Real Girl. They have a significantly different feel from one another, but I thought they were wonderful and obviously have at least a few things in common. A degree of sweetness, for one. Lars and the Real Girl had this incredible innocence that's almost impossible to find lately, and is steeped in sincerity. Her was considerably more adult-oriented, but quite beautiful with the design, soundscape, cinematography, acting, and raw emotion.

The surprising thing about Her is that about halfway into the movie I realized I had expected to identify with the main character, but ended up completely connecting with the AI instead. It blew my mind.

There are a couple out that I haven't seen yet but want to, primarily Ain't Them Bodies Saints

My number one this year is Christopher Nolan's Interstellar.

Runners-up in order of interest:
Godzilla
X-Men: Days of Future Past
The Grand Budapest Hotel
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes
Noah
Captain America: The Winter Soldier
Edge of Tomorrow
Sin City: A Dame To Kill For

I've seen both Her and Lars and the Real Girl. They have a significantly different feel from one another, but I thought they were wonderful and obviously have at least a few things in common. A degree of sweetness, for one. Lars and the Real Girl had this incredible innocence that's almost impossible to find lately, and is steeped in sincerity. Her was considerably more adult-oriented, but quite beautiful with the design, soundscape, cinematography, acting, and raw emotion.

The surprising thing about Her is that about halfway into the movie I realized I had expected to identify with the main character, but ended up completely connecting with the AI instead. It blew my mind.

While I haven't seen 'Her' just yet, I suspect the reason for identifying with the AI, is that it is programmed to identify with the user, and basically be everything the user needs emotionally, and mentally. This would mean that it would probably be considered 'perfect' in the eyes of the user, and would be difficult to find flaws in; therefore difficult not to relate with. It's an interesting concept; being perfect means it's easy to see why he could fall in love with such a persona, but it's probably also the most dangerous thing you could fall in love with, because if you were to loose it, nothing else would ever measure up, and be good enough ever again, in comparison. It would leave a rather large void in your life. It could easily be considered an addiction.

While I haven't seen 'Her' just yet, I suspect the reason for identifying with the AI, is that it is programmed to identify with the user, and basically be everything the user needs emotionally, and mentally. This would mean that it would probably be considered 'perfect' in the eyes of the user, and would be difficult to find flaws in; therefore difficult not to relate with. It's an interesting concept; being perfect means it's easy to see why he could fall in love with such a persona, but it's probably also the most dangerous thing you could fall in love with, because if you were to loose it, nothing else would ever measure up, and be good enough ever again, in comparison. It would leave a rather large void in your life. It could easily be considered an addiction.

That makes sense. The thing I remember resonating most was her [AI] feeling of alienation and uniqueness, among other things.

I hope you have the chance to see it soon, I would like to hear what you think.

That makes sense. The thing I remember resonating most was her [AI] feeling of alienation and uniqueness, among other things.

I'll let you know once I do :)

That makes it sound to me like AI actually corresponds more to Lars, rather than to Bianca (the doll) who is quite a socialite.

New Threads

Top Bottom