• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Ambiguity, mixed metaphors and literal humour.

Reminds me of when you talk to a shrink and they over-obviously 'bait' you with an unusual word or a name and then they say, 'now that's a funny name/word, isn't it?' ...like testing for response to word play stuff.

Reminds me of when you talk to a shrink and they over-obviously 'bait' you with an unusual word or a name and then they say, 'now that's a funny name/word, isn't it?' ...like testing for response to word play stuff.

Psychiatrist’s log:
Patient asked which definition of “funny” I was referring to. He inquired as to why the name/word would be funny “now” but not later. Also wanted to know if I was expecting a simple yes/no answer or a more detailed response.
Diagnosis: Autism

Last edited:
From the on-line free dictionary:

norm
(nɔrm)

n.
1. a standard, model, or pattern.
2. a rule or standard of behavior expected of each member of a social group.
3. a behavior pattern or trait considered typical of a particular social group.
4. the general level or average

I would take it to mean the way you eat is not like most others of a certain age
or expected social norm.
Such as still eating with fingers instead of utensils by a certain age ?
Licking hands and fingers to remove residual food?
Acting out, babbling, stimming or crying at time to eat?

That's how I would interprete it. And eating Capt. Crunch for breakfast instead of adult stuff like
cold pizza or donuts? :p

From the on-line free dictionary:

norm
(nɔrm)

n.
1. a standard, model, or pattern.
2. a rule or standard of behavior expected of each member of a social group.
3. a behavior pattern or trait considered typical of a particular social group.
4. the general level or average

I would take it to mean the way you eat is not like most others of a certain age
or expected social norm.
Such as still eating with fingers instead of utensils by a certain age ?
Licking hands and fingers to remove residual food?
Acting out, babbling, stimming or crying at time to eat?

That's how I would interprete it. And eating Capt. Crunch for breakfast instead of adult stuff like
cold pizza or donuts? :p

Ahahaha! Breakfast foods for adults: doughnuts, cold pizza, outdated norms, etc.

In my understanding - either the person is speaking in allegories

or
The statement is made by a cannibal that ingests a meal of elderly linear thinkers upon waking.

I find neither conclusion to compel further conversation

It's quite a tough phrase and certainly not Aspie 101. I'm not exactly sure, does it mean we are kind of incisive and will critique outdated norms? I suppose we probably do that, sometimes? Although for me, I m not so much critiquing them, as unaware of them, outdated or not actually.

I do get confused by signs, another thing I do is read road writing that's upside down and get confused on crossings as to which way to look. And I have been trapped in places with ambiguous door signage, people generally rescue me. Nowadays the dementia awareness signage seems to have made people bolder to ask if Yr ok, and with me being a gray gangsta, I guess they don't realise it's lifelong confusion I m up against.

New Threads

Top Bottom