• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Am I asking too much? Re: public events

Sherlock77

V.I.P Member
Just an observation based on the last two weekends

I am all rather excited, anticipating the return of public events that have been cancelled for two years

I'm just back from a large street festival, but definitely noticed that crowd numbers were down, compared to pre-pandemic times... It's also a festival I've attended every year (and photographed) since 2005... It has been rather hot for a few days here, perhaps some people balked due to heat... Or perhaps some people are still nervous enough about returning to a festival, after Covid

I had a similar feeling after what I was hoping would be a big car show last weekend, that I was slightly disappointed about, even when it was excellent weather...

Talking with a friend today at the festival, he suggested that maybe I have inflated expectations, I just want the world/everything to be back to normal, because that's the way it used to be... And, yes, I miss those more care free days, perhaps in a slight bit of mourning

Will anything be 100% okay again?

Is Covid over where you live? Here in Los Angeles, we still have cases left and right. Two of my students have gotten it in the past month. I think, rather than Covid ending, people will eventually accept it as something we can get from time to time, like the flu. If that's the case, that will take a while.

Is Covid over where you live? Here in Los Angeles, we still have cases left and right. Two of my students have gotten it in the past month. I think, rather than Covid ending, people will eventually accept it as something we can get from time to time, like the flu. If that's the case, that will take a while.

We are at a very low ebb right now for cases (Calgary), nothing to even report on...

I'm just tired of life events passing by for two years now, maybe I'm too impatient :rolleyes:... Most previous events have been happening all summer here with no restrictions...

That's definitely not the case here, it's more of the opposite actually.
There are bigger crowds at most events than I've seen in years, and no one wears masks or takes any other precautions at all anymore. There are no longer any restrictions.

I was being really cautious for a long, long time. But I think I have already had covid and didn't realize it because I was vaccinated. There is no way I went through the whole last two years without getting sick.
I have admittedly not been that careful in the past six months or so, but that's kind of sad because I felt pressured to be that way. There were a couple of times that people talked smack at me for wearing a mask. Even though I have a medical condition.

I also would really like to believe that the pandemic is a thing of the past, but I know it isn't, and cases are going back up here because people are being reckless (but I was one of them. I have gone to Six Flags, a movie theater, and a dance club in the past month.) So I'm convinced that I had covid at some point because I'm definitely not "immune" to it the way I'm immune to poison ivy. And I'm not joking lol, I'm actually immune to poison ivy. I have never had an allergic reaction to it in my entire life and I step in it a lot.

It's understandable to be impatient considering that this is important to you. It sounds like you're a little worried that these changes are permanent. I wouldn't worry about that. Things will return to normal eventually. You're right that more patience is required, though it's painful.

It's understandable to be impatient considering that this is important to you. It sounds like you're a little worried that these changes are permanent. I wouldn't worry about that. Things will return to normal eventually. You're right that more patience is required, though it's painful.

Because I have a gut feeling that some of these changes might be permanent :rolleyes: But I hope I'm wrong...

Everyone is struggling with this.

The young.

The old.

For different reasons.

We decided to purchase a house with my husbands daughter, son-in-law and grandchildren. I did this knowing the stressors during a pandemic, for I did not want my husband and grandchildren to miss getting to know one another. My husband was diagnosed with prostate cancer two years ago, and just finished radiation treatment. I didn't want his story to be that he never got to be with his grandchildren. That to me was an acceptable risk, him being able to see, teach and know them. But ah, we do this with certain protocol in place. Protocol the works because there is a door separating the two households.

That said:

It's an underlying stressor in my life, the differing views of Covid protocol and risk in my family. The only two people that are above 60 (me) and 75 (husband) are us. Now here is what goes on. The rest of the family (upstairs) is mixing with others, taking their babies out in public to enjoy mall/store shopping, having large gatherings of other people who believe the pandemic to be under control.

Yesterday, our younger children (30's) who have babies/toddlers, had guests over for 4 hours. They (3 people and baby) stayed inside for it is so very hot out. The other people are not isolating or masking. They travel states and enjoy all for the risk has passed according to them.

The claim made by my husband is this poses no risk for us to mix with them for they only were together for 4 hours. Oh and the dog is in everyones face licking and cleaning the kids faces nonstop (source of food lol).

I have a pretty good system, nothing outrageous... in fact if I were not being pressured by this crew, I wouldn't be around people for a 10 day period who took such risk. In this case my mild plan is to ask them to monitor themselves for 5 days after such visits and should their be any signs of sniffling etc... then good we caught it.

Now the debate is can we do dog sessions (and one of my dogs and their dog mouth each others mouth 50% of the time.. just laying there doing that... woof.

So I say no thanks to the dog for now. BTW I had my second booster 4 days ago, and did make a request to my husband to ask me again about altering dog visits after the 3 week mark. I am really trying to work with this crew. But hell, I don't need this or the effects it can have on my gray matter (brain) for my future. If you looked at me you would say I am ten years younger, but hell, I worked hard to be in this type of shape, and don't believe anyone has the right to compromise my health, now or in later years.

Yeah, I want out of this pandemic already. In fact, I am tempted to organize an outdoor group for that reason. I am envious that they are younger and therefore are likely to have less risk. So eager to find an outlet to mix with others. I feel so isolated.

But, I must face the facts, 64 is not low risk.

I said to my husband "I understand you consider this exposure worth the risk. I really cannot afford to put myself in losing brain mass (loss of gray matter), and that is what they say can happen with covid at our age. I am sorry that I am altering your life and affecting your choice to decide it is ok to contract covid, and thus live more relaxed. I wish I could give you that option, without putting myself at risk. You should have that right to decide to get this virus. and unfortunately I do not want take those risks."

There is a lot of guilt that goes with this. I have never been one to control others. I am the most (in my husbands words) accepting of other people exactly where they happen to be. It is painful. I do believe in space and separation of life's choices, even when two people are married. These conditions go against that so thoroughly. Requesting others follow my protocol, no matter how I alter it to accommodate them, is so alien to me.

Everyone is struggling with this.

The young.

The old.

For different reasons.

We decided to purchase a house with my husbands daughter, son-in-law and grandchildren. I did this knowing the stressors during a pandemic, for I did not want my husband and grandchildren to miss getting to know one another. My husband was diagnosed with prostate cancer two years ago, and just finished radiation treatment. I didn't want his story to be that he never got to be with his grandchildren. That to me was an acceptable risk, him being able to see, teach and know them. But ah, we do this with certain protocol in place. Protocol the works because there is a door separating the two households.

That said:

It's an underlying stressor in my life, the differing views of Covid protocol and risk in my family. The only two people that are above 60 (me) and 75 (husband) are us. Now here is what goes on. The rest of the family (upstairs) is mixing with others, taking their babies out in public to enjoy mall/store shopping, having large gatherings of other people who believe the pandemic to be under control.

Yesterday, our younger children (30's) who have babies/toddlers, had guests over for 4 hours. They (3 people and baby) stayed inside for it is so very hot out. The other people are not isolating or masking. They travel states and enjoy all for the risk has passed according to them.

The claim made by my husband is this poses no risk for us to mix with them for they only were together for 4 hours. Oh and the dog is in everyones face licking and cleaning the kids faces nonstop (source of food lol).

I have a pretty good system, nothing outrageous... in fact if I were not being pressured by this crew, I wouldn't be around people for a 10 day period who took such risk. In this case my mild plan is to ask them to monitor themselves for 5 days after such visits and should their be any signs of sniffling etc... then good we caught it.

Now the debate is can we do dog sessions (and one of my dogs and their dog mouth each others mouth 50% of the time.. just laying there doing that... woof.

So I say no thanks to the dog for now. BTW I had my second booster 4 days ago, and did make a request to my husband to ask me again about altering dog visits after the 3 week mark. I am really trying to work with this crew. But hell, I don't need this or the effects it can have on my gray matter (brain) for my future. If you looked at me you would say I am ten years younger, but hell, I worked hard to be in this type of shape, and don't believe anyone has the right to compromise my health, now or in later years.

Yeah, I want out of this pandemic already. In fact, I am tempted to organize an outdoor group for that reason. I am envious that they are younger and therefore are likely to have less risk. So eager to find an outlet to mix with others. I feel so isolated.

But, I must face the facts, 64 is not low risk.

I said to my husband "I understand you consider this exposure worth the risk. I really cannot afford to put myself in losing brain mass (loss of gray matter), and that is what they say can happen with covid at our age. I am sorry that I am altering your life and affecting your choice to decide it is ok to contract covid, and thus live more relaxed. I wish I could give you that option, without putting myself at risk. You should have that right to decide to get this virus. and unfortunately I do not want take those risks."

There is a lot of guilt that goes with this. I have never been one to control others. I am the most (in my husbands words) accepting of other people exactly where they happen to be. It is painful. I do believe in space and separation of life's choices, even when two people are married. These conditions go against that so thoroughly. Requesting others follow my protocol, no matter how I alter it to accommodate them, is so alien to me.

Thanks for your perspective, I sometimes forget that, but then my friend and I did talk about such things...

New Threads

Top Bottom