• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Always have to be right?...Why must they insist on being wrong?!!!

Shiroi Tora

The problem isn't with people wanting to be right....All should wish to be.

That isn't the problem most people have...most merely wish to go along to get along. They pick PC over substance. They think that everyone has a RIGHT to their opinion. NO...no one has the RIGHT to be wrong. Correct Premise...Correct reasoning...Correct conclusion derived directly from that reasoning...These are what matter.

Being able to correctly see what the problem is....Being able to find the most efficient, and so, effective means of correction....Being able to apply the correction at the highest sustainable rate to ensure the highest rate of change...These are what matter.

Most people cannot admit when they are wrong, because of THEIR egos. The old standby is, "Everyone has a right to their opinion", as if that were an automatic pass to never have to change.

People think that getting along and not pissing people off is somehow admirable....That is group think borne of cowardice. It is more than counter productive - it is an attempt to shut out reason, to censure through societal pressures, in order to gain political power in the group. The real danger then becomes the application of any number of fallacies of logic to stir and manipulate the masses to try to win by majority (another fallacy).

That is why we are not a democracy..no matter how often the media try to impress that as a fact. We are a Federalist Republic - a representative government. One that can react far more quickly and is not supposed to make decisions by how the people feel, but through Objective Reasoning...Seeing and applying appropriate goals that do the most good for the whole for the long term...buffered by correct morals (not necessarily religious ones). People do stupid actions because of stupid ideas, as if opinions carry any validity in of itself. If any opinion is as valid as the next....there is no such thing as right or wrong....and anything goes. That is the definition of willful stupidity.

I feel passionately about this because my wife frequently tries to weasel out of arguments by saying I always have to be right....What else is there? Forgo facts for opinion?

It is every thinking person's sacred duty to ensure right prevails. That is how wrong is corrected. That is how progress is to be made. That is how justice prevails. That is how evil loses to goodness. Knowing the difference between right and wrong is THE basis for all morals...that which apply to all, and for the long term over the short. Anything else is pure stupidity...and no..that is not my opinion. B)

This reminds me of the argument for open-mindedness; not, as certain folk would have it, being open to any and all ideas (regardless of their worth), but being open to the most rationally argued ideas, even if they go against your own. It's the basis of good science and, to my mind, social progress.

I like what I hear from this forum...not because you agree...but you agree because you see it as reasonable. Don't get me wrong though...I welcome opposing views...so long as they are backed up with correct reasoning. I am posting in the Friends and Relatives section because through this reasoning, I hope to help you guide them correctly in life. My wife and I have had great success with our Aspie son. He is not only doing well...but he is a very happy child. I hope the same for all of those in your lives...and so I post here.

Brilliant delivery. I love it. I really don't think you will get conflicting perspectives on this topic, not unless someone discards logic in order to create a different 'opinion' =)

I myself have discovered a true gem hidden away in a Sci-fi TV show called Stargate SG-1. There was once a scientist that was raised with somewhat religious beliefs on a different planet. And when his own people came to denounce the scientific evidence of the stargate because it flew in the face of what they believed he readily discarded his allegiance with his own people and helped a stranger who was an alien to him. When asked why he said, "Because I am a scientist. I am as happy to see myself proven wrong as I am to be proven right. What matters is the discovery."

It is often difficult for Aspies to know when to keep their mouths shut if someone is just a little bit wrong. Or to be able to diplomatically point out some small incorrect "fact". Aspies are often accused of "always having to be right". If the internet had been available when I was younger it would have saved me a number of trips to the library and the photocopier to prove that I had won a silly argument. People would try to wager large sums of money with me over disagreements and I'd just say "I won't take your money off you, but I will prove you wrong".

The problem isn't with people wanting to be right....All should wish to be.

That isn't the problem most people have...most merely wish to go along to get along. They pick PC over substance. They think that everyone has a RIGHT to their opinion. NO...no one has the RIGHT to be wrong. Correct Premise...Correct reasoning...Correct conclusion derived directly from that reasoning...These are what matter.

Being able to correctly see what the problem is....Being able to find the most efficient, and so, effective means of correction....Being able to apply the correction at the highest sustainable rate to ensure the highest rate of change...These are what matter.

Most people cannot admit when they are wrong, because of THEIR egos. The old standby is, "Everyone has a right to their opinion", as if that were an automatic pass to never have to change.

People think that getting along and not pissing people off is somehow admirable....That is group think borne of cowardice. It is more than counter productive - it is an attempt to shut out reason, to censure through societal pressures, in order to gain political power in the group. The real danger then becomes the application of any number of fallacies of logic to stir and manipulate the masses to try to win by majority (another fallacy).

That is why we are not a democracy..no matter how often the media try to impress that as a fact. We are a Federalist Republic - a representative government. One that can react far more quickly and is not supposed to make decisions by how the people feel, but through Objective Reasoning...Seeing and applying appropriate goals that do the most good for the whole for the long term...buffered by correct morals (not necessarily religious ones). People do stupid actions because of stupid ideas, as if opinions carry any validity in of itself. If any opinion is as valid as the next....there is no such thing as right or wrong....and anything goes. That is the definition of willful stupidity.

I feel passionately about this because my wife frequently tries to weasel out of arguments by saying I always have to be right....What else is there? Forgo facts for opinion?

It is every thinking person's sacred duty to ensure right prevails. That is how wrong is corrected. That is how progress is to be made. That is how justice prevails. That is how evil loses to goodness. Knowing the difference between right and wrong is THE basis for all morals...that which apply to all, and for the long term over the short. Anything else is pure stupidity...and no..that is not my opinion. B)

You may be right. But not entirely. I don't have an ego. If I do, it's really small. I can easily see when I'm wrong and admit to it. And I definitely don't ever go along with people to be politically correct. I will express my opinions even if it means alienating people who I could really care less what they thought of me to begin with. I don't go along with anyone or anything I don't agree with. And complete honesty is more important to me than actually getting a positive result form the whole thing.

Just by you making that 'your wife weaseling out of arguments' comment shows me you indeed have an ego and must project that to her in a controlling way which makes her not want any part of you in that respect. Don't feel bad though as guys are like this in general. But not me. They want to exercise that power over females because it floats their boat by stroking their unlimited egos.

One I'm sure you won't admit to enjoying, but you do or you wouldn't have made that self-serving comment. Here's the thing though, guys think they are exerting power, but in reality it's females who hold the ultimate power when it matters most. And all that ego stroking isn't going to change who truly holds all the cards. Nor is it going to hide your own insecurities and fears from what is plain to see.

Oh and there is no majority, it's just the "group" versus others who dare to be different and pay the price for their vulnerabilities.

-sean-

You may be right. But not entirely. I don't have an ego. If I do, it's really small. I can easily see when I'm wrong and admit to it. And I definitely don't ever go along with people to be politically correct. I will express my opinions even if it means alienating people who I could really care less what they thought of me to begin with. I don't go along with anyone or anything I don't agree with. And complete honesty is more important to me than actually getting a positive result form the whole thing.

Just by you making that 'your wife weaseling out of arguments' comment shows me you indeed have an ego and must project that to her in a controlling way which makes her not want any part of you in that respect. Don't feel bad though as guys are like this in general. But not me. They want to exercise that power over females because it floats their boat by stroking their unlimited egos.

One I'm sure you won't admit to enjoying, but you do or you wouldn't have made that self-serving comment. Here's the thing though, guys think they are exerting power, but in reality it's females who hold the ultimate power when it matters most. And all that ego stroking isn't going to change who truly holds all the cards. Nor is it going to hide your own insecurities and fears from what is plain to see.

Oh and there is no majority, it's just the "group" versus others who dare to be different and pay the price for their vulnerabilities.

-sean-

Please go to Shiroi Tora in Facebook....The wife comment was attempted humor. Should you go to my blog....I tell of the greatness of my wife. To be anything...whether it be racist, sexist, marxist :)....etc. other than right...objectively...is stupid. Please read the blog at my signature...you have terribly misjudged me. Of course...I merely could have done a terrible job presenting myself...either way...once you read the blog...you will come away with only one conclusion....I AM a terribly egotistical person! :)

I have finally figured out why aspies are accused of always having to be right. Due to our TOM difficulties, we may not realize someone is seeing something different than us or that they have a different perspective. We assume they are seeing it our way so we keep arguing with them trying to have them get it but we think they don't get it because they don't have the same views as us. We do not realize they have their own opinion and they get what we are saying but they have their own perception of it. So to them, we always have to be right.

Does this sound about right?

I have finally figured out why aspies are accused of always having to be right. Due to our TOM difficulties, we may not realize someone is seeing something different than us or that they have a different perspective. We assume they are seeing it our way so we keep arguing with them trying to have them get it but we think they don't get it because they don't have the same views as us. We do not realize they have their own opinion and they get what we are saying but they have their own perception of it. So to them, we always have to be right.

Does this sound about right?

Well at least what you said holds more meaning to me than that other psuedo-philosophical garbage that guy was spewing. His perpective is limited for obvious reasons. If anyone is going to spew pseudo-philosophical garbage and make it very meaningful, that will be me lololol.

I never get much into arguing. I don't feel that strongly about being right. Arguing just breeds negativity and hurtful talk and feelings all around. I don't really need to be right in someone else's eyes. I am content to be right in a subjective manner, which is knowing it for myself.

I freely admit others have different perspectives, but I find it hard to accept that they don't see mine. To me it;s a matter of reciprocity, like everything else. Give and take. Respect someone, they should respect you, and vice versa. There are too many 'takers' out there who prove that point false though lol. But selfishness knows no boundaries.

I don't assume anyone sees things my way, actually just the opposite because I am very different on so many levels. You can't truly define someone by their opinions or reasoning powers though. I prefer to be defined by not being able to be defined or labeled or stereotyped into any categories.

If I were to lean one way or the other, I generally see the female point of view/perspective 1000 times better and more sensible than the male one. But that's not to say I am in complete agreement with how girls are in certain areas. But we'll just say they make a hell of a lot more sense on an emotional level certainly and logically as well. And they are far better at treating others the right way whether there is agreement or disagreement.

-sean-

Well at least what you said holds more meaning to me than that other psuedo-philosophical garbage that guy was spewing. His perpective is limited for obvious reasons. If anyone is going to spew pseudo-philosophical garbage and make it very meaningful, that will be me lololol.

I never get much into arguing. I don't feel that strongly about being right. Arguing just breeds negativity and hurtful talk and feelings all around. I don't really need to be right in someone else's eyes. I am content to be right in a subjective manner, which is knowing it for myself.

I freely admit others have different perspectives, but I find it hard to accept that they don't see mine. To me it;s a matter of reciprocity, like everything else. Give and take. Respect someone, they should respect you, and vice versa. There are too many 'takers' out there who prove that point false though lol. But selfishness knows no boundaries.

I don't assume anyone sees things my way, actually just the opposite because I am very different on so many levels. You can't truly define someone by their opinions or reasoning powers though. I prefer to be defined by not being able to be defined or labeled or stereotyped into any categories.

If I were to lean one way or the other, I generally see the female point of view/perspective 1000 times better and more sensible than the male one. But that's not to say I am in complete agreement with how girls are in certain areas. But we'll just say they make a hell of a lot more sense on an emotional level certainly and logically as well. And they are far better at treating others the right way whether there is agreement or disagreement.

-sean-

Sound logic and reasoning is Psycho - Babble? Subjective over Objective when dealing with right and wrong? You spew sexism and I am sexist? You give respect(?)...you see others point of view and you try to discount mine? You have thrown down the gauntlet...I accept your challenge to a rational debate...give me your best sir...for I shall give no quarter :)

Friendly debating is different than arguing....it has social rules.

Debating is better than arguing.

I love seeking truth and the most correct path too!
But there is a higher path than just telling it, if you can not win the heart of the person over to see what you are saying you just wasted your breathe.
If you like being correct so much than ask your self have I found the most correct method of winning over others to the truth?:confused:

Aaaah! now that takes some real skill to do doesn't it?:p

It is one thing to know ....and quite another to sell it to the world. Even with all my masive pattern powers I still struggle with how to find the path to the hearts of men.:(

It is not a easy task!:confused:

You want to change the world you have to win over Hearts.:cool: study emotional logic

New Threads

Top Bottom